• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tiger Woods and Zach Johnson comparative swing analysis

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
I have been looking into stack and tilt and the one plane golf swing. I came across this video on you tube. I have been reading parts of Jim Hardy's The Plane Truth for Golfers Master Class. From what I understand stack and tilt and Hardy's definition of the one plane swing are very similar. I would say tiger is a one plane player and zach is more stack and tilt. I was surprised how similar zach's and tiger's swing are. You would think tiger would not be close to having a stack and tilt swing but its closer than I thought. Tiger keeps his weight centered a lot more than I thought, I was expecting to see a bigger weight shift. Zach has just a little more weight on his left side throughout the swing, this is good stuff IMO. I need to work more on keeping my weight centered, I have been to the range the last few nights working on a one plane and some stack and tilt and its hard for me to hit a bad iron shot. The driver is a different story.

YouTube - Tiger Woods & Zach Johnson comparative swing analysis

millrivermem

Aug 12, 2008
from what i have heard of the stack and tilt thing...it is supposed to to be very ball striking oriented...while alot of others with weight shift and shoulder turn bein key components are more directed for length...perheps shouldnt use tiger as a comparison cause he is a freak..haha

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
I found that the easiest way for me to make sure I keep the weight "forward" in my stance is to bow in my right knee a bit at address. Then if you keep this knee bend and cock through the backswing you will feel tremendous tension build at that point which you can unload in the downswing. I really like this feel and it has helped me hit much more consistent irons.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Your right knee bowed inward?

I keep my knees bent, but I'm having the problem with almost a lack of weight shift, or keeping weight on my back(right) foot.

I'm trying to work on this, to get better at striking my irons. It's hit or miss these days.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I found that the easiest way for me to make sure I keep the weight "forward" in my stance is to bow in my right knee a bit at address. Then if you keep this knee bend and cock through the backswing you will feel tremendous tension build at that point which you can unload in the downswing. I really like this feel and it has helped me hit much more consistent irons.

The "bowed" right knee has been my single swing thought all year and my ball striking has improved dramatically. I start my backswing by pinching the right knee in a touch and then turning into it. I really feel the power load up into that leg.

This was a huge change for me this year as I really had a tendency to overshift my weight and even slide. While I'm not all read up on S&T, my more centered approach this year has led to the most consistent golf I've ever played.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I also bow my knee in. I point it slightly at the ball, and try to keep it there until the follow through. Helps me stay centered and not get too much weight on the right side. Tremendous help to me.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.