• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tiger Woods - Classy guy!

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
At least it wasn't chew spit, hahaha. I really don't think it's that big of a deal. Like Clark said, it's going to dry up or soak into the ground in no time. There are a lot of nastier things on the greens, like chemicals. Anyone who cries about this is a sissy. Sure it's not exactly tasteful, but it's not a big deal either, IMO. Plus, I still think he swiped it up with his putter.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Meh...if he can pay the fines(which i'm sure he can) he can keep on swearing to his content.

If they(the tour) want to control the players behavior they're going to have to start attacking their ability to make money, not the money they already have. Start suspending them from the big money tournaments. It probably won't matter to people like Tiger though, he makes more money through sponsors and endorsement deals than he ever will playing golf. Golf may have gotten him there, but he has moved on to bigger things as far as pay out is concerned.

Not that long ago, TW was bigger than the Tour. Finchem was flat out scared to suggest suspending TW from a Tour event and lose viewers/attendees. Now, we've seen that TW may not even be playing on Sunday, let alone be on the leader board. Golf, as an industry, has been tried by the economy. TW's fall from grace has not helped. There will be some interesting chapters in the Book of Golf play out in the not too distant future. Will the Tour actually have the 'nads to discipline the elite few who may be drawing cards to both viewers and sponsors? I think they may. We are no longer "blessed" with a single star who shines bigger than the game itself. We see more parity and know the final pairing on Sunday afternoon may not include the same players over the course of an entire season. We are more likely to see new blood compete in a knock down, drag out shootin' match than see the same player waltz away with any tourney he chooses to enter.

The announcer at the event this last weekend had the audacity to cry foul in regards to the actions of The Anointed One. And... a penalty was invoked against a participant instead of retribution against the announcer. Players can make much more money from endorsements than from tournament purses... if they keep their noses clean and show up on the leader boards. If they choose to become Dalyesque, they will mire in their own feces and sponsors will drop them like flies. If they choose to put the bad choices behind them and compete at the top of the game, the endorsement money will continue. No one is entitlled. No longer is anyone larger than the game. He can choose to be better as an example of the traditions of the game. Or, he can choose to exemplify the south end of a north bound horse. The choice is his. The various Tours will deal with whichever choice he decides to make.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Not that long ago, TW was bigger than the Tour. Finchem was flat out scared to suggest suspending TW from a Tour event and lose viewers/attendees. Now, we've seen that TW may not even be playing on Sunday, let alone be on the leader board. Golf, as an industry, has been tried by the economy. TW's fall from grace has not helped. There will be some interesting chapters in the Book of Golf play out in the not too distant future. Will the Tour actually have the 'nads to discipline the elite few who may be drawing cards to both viewers and sponsors? I think they may. We are no longer "blessed" with a single star who shines bigger than the game itself. We see more parity and know the final pairing on Sunday afternoon may not include the same players over the course of an entire season. We are more likely to see new blood compete in a knock down, drag out shootin' match than see the same player waltz away with any tourney he chooses to enter.

The announcer at the event this last weekend had the audacity to cry foul in regards to the actions of The Anointed One. And... a penalty was invoked against a participant instead of retribution against the announcer. Players can make much more money from endorsements than from tournament purses... if they keep their noses clean and show up on the leader boards. If they choose to become Dalyesque, they will mire in their own feces and sponsors will drop them like flies. If they choose to put the bad choices behind them and compete at the top of the game, the endorsement money will continue. No one is entitlled. No longer is anyone larger than the game. He can choose to be better as an example of the traditions of the game. Or, he can choose to exemplify the south end of a north bound horse. The choice is his. The various Tours will deal with whichever choice he decides to make.

I still think the PGA TOur should allow appearance fees, why else would Tiger, Phil et al be in Dubai instead of at Pebble? I think Phil got something like $1.5m and I'm sure Tiger got double that. Those 2 paydays alone were bigger than the winners check at Pebble.

I still don't think Finchem will have the guts to suspend guys like Phil and Tiger though. The tour needs these names and needs them playing well more than ever.

I also wonder how many people turned off the TV because they saw Tiger spit? Or did they turn it off because he was out of contention. At this point I can't think of who won either tourney (dubai or Pebble) but here we are talking about Tiger and his expectorate.

Maybe his name recognition and draw haven't fallen as far as we'd like to think...

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I still think the PGA TOur should allow appearance fees, why else would Tiger, Phil et al be in Dubai instead of at Pebble? ...

Phil didn't play in Dubai. Btw, I actually turned off the Pebble tourney. A complete yawn-fest with the weaker field.

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
Phil didn't play in Dubai. Btw, I actually turned off the Pebble tourney. A complete yawn-fest with the weaker field.

I kept it on just to see Murray get a piece of the pro-am title. Good stuff.

Spitting (just spit) on a green, while classless, doesnt bother me so much, albeit if I gotta hawk a loogy up, I'll do my best to keep it in the rough. But sunflower seed shells...that irritates the living crap out of me.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
"The Euro Tour is right — it was inconsiderate to spit like that and I know better," Woods said on Twittter. "Just wasn't thinking and want to say I'm sorry."​
Fine sends right message to Tiger and rest of golf's spitters

p1-tiger-bamberger_298x531.jpg

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006

hmmm, thought I saw his name there at some point. As you probably guessed, I didn't watch either tourney. I have never been a big fan of the AT&T pro am, maybe if they brought cypress back I would watch...maybe!

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
"The Euro Tour is right — it was inconsiderate to spit like that and I know better," Woods said on Twittter. "Just wasn't thinking and want to say I'm sorry."

He knows better than to do a lot of the things he's done over the years. I'm married, and I know better than to cheat on my wife. I'm just a regular Joe, and I know better than to spit on the green. And yeah, I'll cuss on the course when I'm with my buddies, but when I get paired up with someone I don't know, especially an older couple..my "God Damnits" easily turn into "Dag-gummits"..simply out of respect of those that it might offend.

Don't wanna sound sanctimonious..but if I can do it, why can't he?

"I'm sorry" only cuts it for so many times.

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Good point on the Sunflower Seeds. That is a new phenomenon that I have noticed quite a bit the past two seasons. WTF!!!!!!!!!:mad:

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
He knows better than to do a lot of the things he's done over the years. I'm married, and I know better than to cheat on my wife. I'm just a regular Joe, and I know better than to spit on the green. And yeah, I'll cuss on the course when I'm with my buddies, but when I get paired up with someone I don't know, especially an older couple..my "God Damnits" easily turn into "Dag-gummits"..simply out of respect of those that it might offend.

Don't wanna sound sanctimonious..but if I can do it, why can't he?

"I'm sorry" only cuts it for so many times.

You know better than to cheat? Or get caught? :emot-angel:

Good point on the Sunflower Seeds. That is a new phenomenon that I have noticed quite a bit the past two seasons. WTF!!!!!!!!!:mad:

I never got the infatuation with Sunflower seeds, all they do is dry out my mouth and make my toungue feel raw...

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Err...both?

That, my friend, is also why they sell beer.

LOL, good point. Even though I bartended for years I still forget these things, mainly because its been years since I bartended and hardly ever drink anymore!

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Seeds on the course don't bother me....seeds stacked up around the hole bothers me though.

This particular group had to have either stood there shooting the shit for 20 minutes while feverishly downing sunflower seeds or they just saved them up and dumped them around the hole....it was ridiculous.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online