• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tiger Woods, my conclusion...

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Let's face it...she will never be able to trust him again. Best move he could make, write a check...get divorced and start over. Time heals a lot if not all. The public will move on to other things. His wife will survive, he'll survive, his kids will survive. People love a come back...and I think the public will root for his wife and family to move on and prosper, and root for him to continue what has been to date a remarkable career, if not in life, in golf.

It's hard to say what Elin will do. On the face of it, many people would say, "Leave him". One thing though, it's up to Elin to do what she wishes, not what others want her to do.

I think we've seen the end of Tiger (version 1). In order to gain any semblance of trust, he will need to dismantle & reassemble himself (Tiger version 2). What that will do to his golf remains to be seen. His iron will & concentration may go with the re-build.

The damage to their relationship would have been in large due to the lies as the story unfolded. For example, Lie 1 "Don't worry honey. It's all nonsense. I don't even know her. She's just some psycho fan." Lie 2 - "Alright I admit it. Something did happen. It was only one time & only with her. It'll never happen again. I love you baby." Lie 3 - denial when news of others breaks. Then when the weight of evidence was too much to deny, the admission by Tiger that other affairs are true. Result - complete loss of faith by Elin in anything coming out of Tiger's mouth.

To come back from that, Tiger would need to completely reassemble himself, this time with a set of proper values. A rebuild couldn't happen overnight.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
if what i've been reading is true, Elin will file for divorce as soon as the holidays are done. seriously, how can anyone possibly think this marriage can be repaired?

I agree. It's possible to be sorry for screwing around with one person. It may not be forgiveable, but it's at least possible that you're sorry. You can't possibly be genuinely sorry for screwing around with a dozen different women inside five years. You're full of crap if you claim to be. Surely she can see this.

A

Addicted2Golf

Tiger has said he is leaving golf for an indefinite time so he can work on his failings. He owes apologies to no one but his family and friends. If he gets his act together and earns THEIR forgiveness then I hope he comes back to golf a changed man, and kicks butt like he has in the past. If he doesn't, I hope he never sets foot on a golf course again. It isn't anyone's place to judge him but those he injured through his actions.

I think what is interesting is that most people think Tiger only hurt his family with his escapades. But, Tiger Inc. is going to take a big hit because of this and that impacts the PGA Tour, the PGA's sponsors, the communities that host the tournaments, Tiger's Sponsors, and their shareholders to name a few. Also, count in all the families that have mouths to feed whose livelihoods are tied to those different organizations in some way. Hell, this will probably impact the entire golf industry. It can be argued that no other sports figure in history is as important to a sport as Tiger is to golf.

Does he owe these faceless thousands anything? I say he does. Tiger has a great responsibility to shoulder no doubt, but that comes with the territory. It is no different than a Corporate CEO. That is what happens when you sign the checks (and accept them).

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I would bet about $200 that many greats in all sports cheated on their wives. Actors, athletes, politicians, its not surprising. Tiger was just dumb enough to get caught. That phone message was REALLY dumb.

I dont look up to Tiger for my moral compass, and I didnt consider his image of that of a family man. (He is allowed to be seen in public with his kids no?) What he did was wrong IMO, and he has to answer to his wife and kids...

I dont care too much for his on course antics, but I will still root for him to break all the records. Why not? Should I change my mind because Tiger cheated on his wife? Is that the lithmus test? If that is the case, we should go back and dig into the lives of the past greats. But we wont, because we shouldnt, because its none of our business.

I guess Nick Faldo should be fired, right? OMG! He doesnt deserve to be on CBS! Jim Nantz should be ashamed to sit next to him.. oh wait! Fire both of them!!

I don't disagree that many famous people from all walks of life cheat. Its almost a given in my mind that big sports people or even middle of the road sports people have hordes of women throwing themselves at the player. I guess where I am having the biggest problem is that he put a carefull crafted image of himself as this super clean FAMILY MAN out there and he most clearly was/is not that. Maybe I am most disgusted at myself for believing that a larger than life figure like Tiger duped me into believing what he was putting out there. I don't get my morals from Tiger or any other sports star, but lets face it many people aspire to be like the figures they see on TV. Is this what you would want for your son? Your daughter? My guess is no. Whether they want to be or not, sports stars like Tiger are role models, right or wrong they are and it may be due to the lack of parenting but that's another argument. I want to be my daughters hero, but not every daughter has a father like me. One who adores not just her but as ultimate respect for my wife and OUR family. That's where Tiger fell short and that is how Tiger has lost at least one fan for good.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Oh, and I agree with Sling. It's not even completely the wife thing...

It's the kids.

rob0225

Mar 27, 2006
Country
United States United States
Fair?

A dozen (that we know about) or more is a scum bag with no regard at all for his wife and (worse) children.

While, I do believe he messed around, I don't believe for a minute it's been as many women as the press is claiming. I think we are just seeing women come out of the woodwork for their 15 minutes of fame.

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
I don't disagree that many famous people from all walks of life cheat. Its almost a given in my mind that big sports people or even middle of the road sports people have hordes of women throwing themselves at the player. I guess where I am having the biggest problem is that he put a carefull crafted image of himself as this super clean FAMILY MAN out there and he most clearly was/is not that. Maybe I am most disgusted at myself for believing that a larger than life figure like Tiger duped me into believing what he was putting out there. I don't get my morals from Tiger or any other sports star, but lets face it many people aspire to be like the figures they see on TV. Is this what you would want for your son? Your daughter? My guess is no. Whether they want to be or not, sports stars like Tiger are role models, right or wrong they are and it may be due to the lack of parenting but that's another argument. I want to be my daughters hero, but not every daughter has a father like me. One who adores not just her but as ultimate respect for my wife and OUR family. That's where Tiger fell short and that is how Tiger has lost at least one fan for good.

Good post. I dont have kids, yet, and maybe Id have the same opinion if I did... I just cant write off a guy unless he commits a violent crime or sells drugs.

Another thing I didnt mention is that I assume that the majority of athletes are roided up (baseball, football), getting high(football, basketball), have piss poor sportsmanship (everything cept hockey), and from countless hours listening to sports radio, the guys we assume are "good guys", actually arent, and vice versa.

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
United States United States
I think the perfect guy image that Tiger had was a major part of his fortune-building power with some of his endorsements. I think he will lose those. Nike? Never. I doubt if Nike golf would be around long without Tiger. LIke some have said, as long as they let him play in tournaments, his ability was going to bring in lots of money. That money will still be available, provided he can handle the additional pressure all of this will put on him. I personally think Tiger has had an over-abundance of adulation from an early age. He has been the darling of golf, but those days are gone. I think his feelings will be so hurt at so many turning against him that it will affect his play. I do not think he will win as often. He will lose his caddie eventually since someone is bound to shout out "ADULTRY" when he is about to putt to win or drive on the last hole. Monty will most likely be the one. There will be a fight, and Tiger loses a caddie to law enforcement. This might save Tiger as there will be so many glad to see ol Monty get beat up that they will thank Tiger for it. Almost all will be forgiven. I do not think Earl meant to pass on anything negative to Tiger, but Earl sometimes had trouble telling the truth about his athletic past. He also got married to Tiger's mother before he had an official divorce from another wife. I do not worry much about the Tiger will improve the world stuff since that was just a proud father getting a little unreal. This Tiger thing is amazing to me in how it is so blown up in importance by the news. I have always thought Tiger was probably the greatest golfer of all time, but also the most over-rated player of all time. When I posted that belief, a number of people said, "How can he be over-rated when he is the best of all time?" This current stuff proves my point, I think. How? No matter how good you are at playing the great game of golf, it is stupid for me to put Tiger or anyone else so ridiculously high that that skill makes a man a billionaire. Great golf, to me (even the greatest golf of all time), does not lead to hundreds of millions in personal wealth. And look what happens when they get that wealth! They get everything and more that could possibly be dreamed of, and then act like total fools. Often, their lives are completely ruined. Charles Barkley tried to make the point that famous stars should not be role models for kids, and there is a good point or two in what he said. He also said that when he spit on the little girl at that game, he was honestly sorry and had intented to spit just on her father. With a swing like his, Charles should not be copied, but isn't it great when a famous person does a good job of being a role model? That is actually far more valuable to society and sport than who has the most wins. Yes, you can put me down as an idealist who believes that truly great folks are the only ones that deserve being put up there so high. The realist in me says to be careful about putting anyone up there because how much do we ever truly know? The selfish part of me says, who cares? , because the only game that really means anything is my own game. Sincerely, cypressperch

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Good post. I dont have kids, yet, and maybe Id have the same opinion if I did... I just cant write off a guy unless he commits a violent crime or sells drugs.

Another thing I didnt mention is that I assume that the majority of athletes are roided up (baseball, football), getting high(football, basketball), have piss poor sportsmanship (everything cept hockey), and from countless hours listening to sports radio, the guys we assume are "good guys", actually arent, and vice versa.

Good point about assuming drug use and roids and I think you are dead on about that. I pretty much have given up watching baseball after all the allegations and truths came out about roid use. I have even lost interest in football to some extent, I just can't get interested in it as much as I used to.

I think a large part of the problem for athletes and especiall athletes at the highest level of either HS, college or pro level is that they have been adored and catered to their whole lives. They don't necessarily grow up and learn to be an adult and why would they? They are handed everything from an early age and have people that take care of everything from grades to bill paying once they get older. They don't learn to handle the everyday CRAP that all of us go through.

I have heard the same thing about guys who are supposedly the "good guys" and if you ever listen to ESPN radio w/ Colin Cowherd he says as much almost every day. I guess one of the parts that bothers me the most is that now I will wonder about everybody on the PGA Tour. Is Phil who he has made himself out to be? Who knows for sure?

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007

I really don't like Tiger Woods at all, from years back, but reading through this article you posted NVM, I had no other option but to question everything. You see 14 women listed, but 3 are unidentified, 3 say the affair was before Tiger got married, 3 deny having an affair, 2-3 of the stories seem way too irrational to be true, leaving the "confirmed" to two or three REAL mistresses. I ain't saying 3 affairs are justified, I just think he might be less of a "monster" as it has been stated...

I think the reality has gone out of proportion, and now it seems people are trying to condemn him for everything, and going way down the line for doing so.

Just as a question: does anybody think maybe there is a racist theme behind all this? Maybe a media feeding by those people near the tour who couldn't cope up with an Afroamerican beating EVERY other golfer in the world?

🔥 Latest posts