• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

TIGER WOODS TV COVERAGE

Golfbum

THAT'S SOLID
Jan 14, 2005
OK I made the suggestion in one of my posts that maybe we need a poll to see who actually enjoys seeing every shot, every move Tiger Woods makes on the golf course during the telecasts of PGA Events. It seems to me, and others that Woods is constantly in the spotlight, even if he is 10 shots behind the leaders and playing the front 9 for his last 9 holes of the day.
I for one get sick and tired of the constant coverage of him and SUPER CADDY (who in my opinion is a total ass, kicking cameras out of the hands of professional photographers)
I prefer the coverage of European PGA events, at least the show guys who are not in the last 3 groups on Saturday and Sunday.
So voice your opinion, don't be shy. I have broad shoulders and I can surely take the heat of your thoughts on this matter.

The master

Oct 24, 2004
I much prefer Euro tour golf for a couple of reasons.

The commentators are better. Well faldo and finchie know what they are talking about.

Secnodly I think that the courses are to simialr in the basic week in week out tournaments on PGA fair enough the major courses are unbelievable and look great, but the Euro tour is courses all over Europe were they are different which is nice.

And as for Tiger he gets way to much TV time but I can't see anything changing if he went to world no.10 this year it would be the same.

I love Darren Clarke and never get too see his round only on Euro tour so that is another reason why I prefer it.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Tiger is a great player. He can make magic happen in a heartbeat.

But I do have to agree, he is over played on television. You wonder how sponsors don't get choked that all you see is Nike, Nike, Nike. Oh, and the occasional shot of Steve with the big Buick bag.

I try to block it out. I enjoy watching Vijay and Ernie play. I can take or leave Phil. And anyone that says Mike Weir is one of the top ten players in the world is drunk. He's good, but not that good.

European television is great in the fact that they devote as much time to showing good shots by anyone in the field as they are committed to staying on the leaders. The announcers show little or no bias towards any one player. (I can't stand Johnny Miller. That guy is a tragedy, plain and simple.) Faldo has been a breath of fresh air for me, as i get sick of IBF or Miller going on and on about god-knows-what.

As for Tiger, if he's winning, then show him. I'm not going to dispute that. That should be the same for anyone in that same circumstance. I just get sick of seeing approach shots hitting the green and going long when a player is 8 shots back.....that just isn't right.

To touch on what you said about Tiger's swearing, fits, ect.....he does get fined. Each and every time he swears, the tour fines him. The year before last I read that he had paid more fines himself than the next ten guys on the list COMBINED. What does Tiger care? He's got the money, who gives a "shit". It may not be professional, but unfortunately, that's where we sit. Being extreme sells.

R35

The master

Oct 24, 2004
rockford35 said:

And anyone that says Mike Weir is one of the top ten players in the world is drunk. He's good, but not that good.

R35

First bit I totally agree at times he makes things exciteing I don't care what anyone says.

And what do you mean he is world number 7, he is a great player. Are you being sarcastic?

http://www.pgatour.com/stats/leaders/r/2005/186

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I can't compare Euro coverage to USA since I only get the networks here in the states.

For the most part unless it's the back nine on Sunday and close I watch most tournaments using picture in picture and flip over when it looks like something is actually happening.

I neither love nor hate Tiger. I don't mind watching him when he is in contention because he can make some amazing shots. He's been great for the game here in the states because many people who had never even thought about golf either tried or at least watched because of him.

I hope he does make a comeback this year because it will create a little excitement if it starts some decent rivalries between the top players.

Regarding too much coverage. My favorite is our local papers coverage of tournaments. Tiger can be tied for 15th and the article can have no mention of his name and the picture will still be Tiger teeing off. Rediculous. :mad:

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
That's cuz Tiger's from Texas, Dave.

Oh, right he's not.

Well, I'm stumped. :p

R35

MAHALLEDAY

Mikey Dangerous
Nov 29, 2004
rockford35 said:
And anyone that says Mike Weir is one of the top ten players in the world is drunk. He's good, but not that good. R35

Sir...You have offended my honor, I demand satisfaction I challenge you to a duel. Pistols at ten paces?

Mike Weir is da shite. I read somewhere that early thats season when Woods was just starting his big sldei down to #2 :p. Thast Els, Mickelson and yes Weir were the oes thougt to take over the numebr one spot. Singh wasn't even mentioned.

Wier is great he just needs to learn to how effing putt.

OP
Golfbum

Golfbum

THAT'S SOLID
Jan 14, 2005
rockford35 said:

But I do have to agree, he is over played on television. You wonder how sponsors don't get choked that all you see is Nike, Nike, Nike. Oh, and the occasional shot of Steve with the big Buick bag.

I try to block it out. I enjoy watching Vijay and Ernie play. I can take or leave Phil. And anyone that says Mike Weir is one of the top ten players in the world is drunk. He's good, but not that good.

European television is great in the fact that they devote as much time to showing good shots by anyone in the field as they are committed to staying on the leaders. The announcers show little or no bias towards any one player. (I can't stand Johnny Miller. That guy is a tragedy, plain and simple.) Faldo has been a breath of fresh air for me, as i get sick of IBF or Miller going on and on about god-knows-what.

As for Tiger, if he's winning, then show him. I'm not going to dispute that. That should be the same for anyone in that same circumstance. I just get sick of seeing approach shots hitting the green and going long when a player is 8 shots back.....that just isn't right.

To touch on what you said about Tiger's swearing, fits, ect.....he does get fined. Each and every time he swears, the tour fines him. The year before last I read that he had paid more fines himself than the next ten guys on the list COMBINED. What does Tiger care? He's got the money, who gives a "shit". It may not be professional, but unfortunately, that's where we sit. Being extreme sells.

R35

Well I hate to disagree, but the WORLD RANKINGS place Mike in the TOP TEN. That is the way the system operates, so there he is. Look how long it took Vijay to knock Woods off the #1 spot, approx 2 years, and we all know Vijay was #1 long before the World Rankings said he was. I am not in favour of the way the points system operates for the World Rankings, however that is the way it is.
As for Woods being fined, of course he can pay them and likely doesn't care. However he is supposed to be a role model for young golfers, well in my mind tossing clubs and swearing is not acting as a role model should. Would you want your son tossing clubs and swearing when he played golf? I don't think so.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Weir is in the top 10, i won't argue with that. And yes, he needs to learn to "effing putt". They guy has gotten lucky a few times when the points system put him there. But right now, and for the last year and a half, he's played a few tournaments well, but really isn't a threat every week like Ernie, Tiger, Vijay, Shigeki, Phil (ha! threw that in for fun) among others.

Don't get me wrong, I like Mike. But he won't be anything besides a one time major winner on Tour. I hate to say it, but it's true. I think Ames has a better shot at winning a major than Mike does again.

R35

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
I know the left hand, overlap, reverse, and claw grip, the straight back and straight through stroke, and the inside to square to inside stroke. But someone need to teach me how to "effin putt".

What hurt me the most about Weir was how he was so "unlucky" in the Canadian Open (not to mention choke).
:(

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
I answered this in the other thread in more detail, but basically -

Tiger's on TV because he's fun to watch, he has personality (and I'm not talking about the anger). So does Shigeki, but he's not Tiger, so he doesn't get the airtime, but if he becomes Tiger (ie 41 tournaments in 10 years), maybe we'll see more of Shigeki.

I agree with R35, Weir might be rated top ten, but he is NOT top ten material. He's too much of a choker under pressure (and I said that before the BCO last year).

OP
Golfbum

Golfbum

THAT'S SOLID
Jan 14, 2005
Silver said:
I answered this in the other thread in more detail, but basically -

I agree with R35, Weir might be rated top ten, but he is NOT top ten material. He's too much of a choker under pressure (and I said that before the BCO last year).

Man I sure would like to be a "CHOKER" and make $2,761,536 US in 22 events! As for the 2004 BCO, Mike was carrying the entire nation on his back that week. I don't think he choked, he missed two putts on Sunday that cost him the tourney. It is not like he lost to some guy who was 50th or below on the money list, he lost to the World #1 golfer. I bet there isn't a guy who posts on here that has not missed a crucial putt from inside 5 feet when the pressure was on. I know I have and I am honest enough to say so. One of those missed putts cost me a CLUB C one year.
Mike admits he is a streaky putter, many tour pros are the same. Most events are won on the greens, putting plays a big part in walking off with the hardware on Sunday afternoon.
As far as Mike's play tee to green, he has become a very solid ball striker over the past few years. Sure he is not the longest off the tee, but he gets it out there. You don't win a Masters by being a piss poor player. He finished T4 in last years U.S.Open and we all know what those greens were like.
Choker? I don't think so. I am sure I will create some flack over this post, but like I have said in the past, I don't hide my thoughts from anyone. Either you like them or you don't. Everyone has their own opinion.

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Golfbum said:
As for the 2004 BCO, Mike was carrying the entire nation on his back that week. I don't think he choked, he missed two putts on Sunday that cost him the tourney.

He choked on that breaking putt. He just needed to putt to get his ball over the ridge so it could trickle down to the hole. Instead, he didn't stroked hard enough and the ball stayed on top of the green. So he basically three putted. If that's not choking, I don't know what it is... I mean, my train of thought is: I do everything possible to get the ball near the hole, I won't take the risk of puting just enough force so the ball dies on that slope. Choking also means making bad decisions.
Choking is a reality, it gets to to you when you can't handle the pressure. That's pretty normal.

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Don't get me wrong GB, I still love him (as a golfer! - not that there's anything wrong with that), but the guy choked. Maybe it was the weight of the nation's hopes on his shoulders that made this happen, maybe it was the pressure of the crowd, maybe it was just an off day with putting. He still choked. Vijay gave him at least 3 opportunities to close the door on him.

Keep in mind the margin that he won the Masters by - another player choking in the playoff. If I'm not mistaken, he bogied the first playoff hole, it was just that Len Mattiace bogeyed it worse.

It's not a big deal, he's still young and hasn't won as much as some of the guys on Tour and just needs to learn to play the game a bit more under control. Mike's tourneys tend to be ups and downs. Look at the Mercedes this year - he was killer on Friday, moderate on Saturday, and ass on Sunday.

He's a great golfer, I just don't know if he really belongs in the top ten *at the stage his game is at right now*.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Golfbum said:
Man I sure would like to be a "CHOKER" and make $2,761,536 US in 22 events! As for the 2004 BCO, Mike was carrying the entire nation on his back that week. I don't think he choked, he missed two putts on Sunday that cost him the tourney. It is not like he lost to some guy who was 50th or below on the money list, he lost to the World #1 golfer. I bet there isn't a guy who posts on here that has not missed a crucial putt from inside 5 feet when the pressure was on. I know I have and I am honest enough to say so. One of those missed putts cost me a CLUB C one year.
Mike admits he is a streaky putter, many tour pros are the same. Most events are won on the greens, putting plays a big part in walking off with the hardware on Sunday afternoon.
As far as Mike's play tee to green, he has become a very solid ball striker over the past few years. Sure he is not the longest off the tee, but he gets it out there. You don't win a Masters by being a piss poor player. He finished T4 in last years U.S.Open and we all know what those greens were like.
Choker? I don't think so. I am sure I will create some flack over this post, but like I have said in the past, I don't hide my thoughts from anyone. Either you like them or you don't. Everyone has their own opinion.

I must say that adding the weight of the nation on your shoulders during the Canadian Open is incredibly burdensome and everyone should recognize this. (Now as to how Mike has performed in other tournaments - your analysis is probably well and good...). I would hope that all Canadian citizens would recognize how hard he competed and tried to bring home the trophy for his country and lost to the best player in the world at the time of the tournament.

Look at the Brits in the past 25 years as it relates to the Open Championship.

🔥 Latest posts