• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tiger's latest comments?

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
I have noticed this year that Tiger says that he is smarter on the course then
when he started,what in '97, he really doesn't explain at length, except to say
he knows what it takes to win championship now as compared too earlier in his career when he was winning everything.

Who else have watched his interviews this year?

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
I prefer listening to him in interviews reminiscing about what he has won (1st Masters, Open etc) .. than havin to listen to his reasons as to why he didn't win a tourney ... he just comes accross a bit of a sour loser at times in interviews, which by all accounts isn't actually the way he is in the locker room ...

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I prefer listening to him in interviews reminiscing about what he has won (1st Masters, Open etc) .. than havin to listen to his reasons as to why he didn't win a tourney ... he just comes accross a bit of a sour loser at times in interviews, which by all accounts isn't actually the way he is in the locker room ...

It is the questions that are asked that make him look that way. The press/media always ask him why he lost, they seem to think if he does not win every tourney there is something wrong with him.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I don't listen to him...not a big Tiger fan. Probably why the only Nike products in my bag are some free balls.

IMHO if he were smarter now he'd be winning more now than he did then.

OP
mont86

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
I don't listen to him...not a big Tiger fan. Probably why the only Nike products in my bag are some free balls.

Thats kinda what I was hinting at, If is so much smarter he should win every
event he plays in.
I might agree he is wiser then 10 years ago. I do think his interviews are pretty standard.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006

Well Yes and No. He's not winning now simply because his putting isnt as "lights out" as it used to be. The case can be made that while he isnt winning as much, it is because of his course management that he is even in tournaments to begin with. That and his tremendous amount of natural talent...

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Well Yes and No. He's not winning now simply because his putting isnt as "lights out" as it used to be. The case can be made that while he isnt winning as much, it is because of his course management that he is even in tournaments to begin with. That and his tremendous amount of natural talent...

OMG, im guna agree with BJ about tiger.....:hunter:

Haha, but it's true, he is a lot smarter now, but he isnt "winning as much" (he's won 3/10 tourneys he's been in this year and 2nd AT BOTH the Majors) because he really doesnt putt lights out as he used to.

We dont see as often the 'huge putt snaking across the green' for the eagles and dramatic birdies and pars, he's playing more safe shots (as he's saying also) and it's getting more "standard golf".

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I saw the interview where he talked about how his course management has matured. He pointed out that while he may not be winning more, he is finishing towards the top of the leader board more often (in majors).

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
I saw the interview where he talked about how his course management has matured. He pointed out that while he may not be winning more, he is finishing towards the top of the leader board more often (in majors).

Exactly. Look at his last 4 majors, W, W, 2nd, t-2nd.

Wow, that's just terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOD He SUCKS, HE SHOULD JUST QUIT.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Maybe if he started playing more aggressive and less smart, his last 4 majors would be W, W, W, W. I mean, seriously, what does he have to lose by going for it every chance he gets? He's world #1, greatest of his time, set for life financially...he has nothing to lose.

On his bad days he beats 80% of the field or better.

On a different Tiger note...did you see the Nike commercial during Wimbeldon with him and Federer? Cool commercial that was even better when they corrected the # of majors Federer had as soon as he won.

OP
mont86

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
That I will give him, on his bad days he still kicks butt.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006

We're talking about golf, right?

I agree with Tiger, and the previous comments about him finishing better.

And if he played more aggresive?

Well, I'll just say this. If Tiger says he is smarter now and is playing a better game now than he used to, he is. Why? He is the one hitting the ball, not you, not me, not any of us, but him. We sit in our chairs and watch him play and let our judgements run free without even knowing an inkling of what it takes to play at his level, or what is going through his head. So generally I give him the benefit of the doubt.

Oh, and have you ever played really aggressive in a big time tournament? I don't mean league play, I mean state championships or something. Honest question, really. You have to find a balance of smart play and aggresive play, and just because Tiger isn't as aggresive as he might have once been, doesn't mean he isn't at all.

Want to see the perfect balance? Look at last years Open. 'Nuff said.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
We're talking about golf, right?

I agree with Tiger, and the previous comments about him finishing better.

And if he played more aggresive?

Well, I'll just say this. If Tiger says he is smarter now and is playing a better game now than he used to, he is. Why? He is the one hitting the ball, not you, not me, not any of us, but him. We sit in our chairs and watch him play and let our judgements run free without even knowing an inkling of what it takes to play at his level, or what is going through his head. So generally I give him the benefit of the doubt.

Oh, and have you ever played really aggressive in a big time tournament? I don't mean league play, I mean state championships or something. Honest question, really. You have to find a balance of smart play and aggresive play, and just because Tiger isn't as aggresive as he might have once been, doesn't mean he isn't at all.

Want to see the perfect balance? Look at last years Open. 'Nuff said.
I guess this is our difference...I don't give him the benefit of the doubt.

To me, saying that you are playing smarter than when you were winning more is a contradiction. IMHO, if he were playing smarter with his level of talent he'd be winning more than when he was playing dumber (for lack of a better word, not insulting him).

And, as I said, I'm not a big Tiger fan so I'm probably harder on him than you and others.

Nope, have no clue what he deals with...never will. But, neither will anyone else on this forum. No one here will ever be at his level, so all any of us can do is speculate and give our opinions. And state championships don't even compare to a major.

I agree about last year's Open...

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Back in the time when he was winning more often, where abouts was he finishing when he didnt win and also hasnt his competition got alot harder recently?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.