• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tiger's latest comments?

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
also hasnt his competition got a lot harder recently?

That was my immediate thought with his comments - when he burst onto the scene he was radically different to everyone else out there in the way he played, and it was so intimidating to play against him he could blast players away while still making mistakes in his game plan. Ten years on and the strategy and techniques he used to do this have been pulled apart, learned and passed on to every up and coming tour pro so his way of playing becomes the norm. So while he may well be making less mistakes than ever now, the standard of the field behind him has generally improved to a point where the mistakes he makes cost him more dearly than before.

It's kind of me and my 22 handicap playing against 30 'cappers and beating them every time despite my own mistakes, then me dropping to 15, making a lot less mistakes but losing more regularly because I'm playing 17 'cappers - my own game is much improved, but I'm nowhere near as successful as I was before...

OP
mont86

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
Good point Sandy, I really didn't pay attention before I joined here, and picking the winners during the majors.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
I guess this is our difference...I don't give him the benefit of the doubt.

To me, saying that you are playing smarter than when you were winning more is a contradiction. IMHO, if he were playing smarter with his level of talent he'd be winning more than when he was playing dumber (for lack of a better word, not insulting him).

And, as I said, I'm not a big Tiger fan so I'm probably harder on him than you and others.

Nope, have no clue what he deals with...never will. But, neither will anyone else on this forum. No one here will ever be at his level, so all any of us can do is speculate and give our opinions. And state championships don't even compare to a major.

I agree about last year's Open...

Despite what your saying here, he is playing better than he used to, but there's a little more dificulty NO MATTER HOW GOOD he is playing to win now because of the fact that players are WAYYYYYY better now than back when he won everything.

You can't say that either:laugh: There are a few very good Jr players here, and a few EXTREMELY good adult players here, all of which have chances to get to the Tour if they so choose to pursue, once your there, your just as good as anyone and you just have to get things together in your head, i know for one that i want to be there and have to drive to try, im sure there are 5-6 others here at least in the same mindset.

They compare perfectly! IF that is the biggest tourney said player is playing for and holds it dear to them winning it, they can prepare hard and play hard, so depending on the person, it is just as big. TO ME, the Bell Canadian Open is bigger than the PGA Championship or Players Champ, and Im willing to wager that to Lorena Ochoa for example, the event played in her home country of Mexico is bigger than a few of the other majors on the LPGA.

And there is your PERFECT example of playing smarter and winning, i'd be willing to bet he wouldn't have won if he did in fact hit more drivers than 2 irons (which was bent to a strong 1 iron). Also he played EXTREMELY smart at the PGA last year also, so it'd be pretty good odds if he was more aggressive as you say he 'should' be, he may not have had two of his last four majors as W's, and two more 2nds, even though he went the whole back nine at the US Open just needing one birdie, it's pretty damned tough to really go at a pin when you cant even get a ball to bite wouldn't you say?:D

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Thats kinda what I was hinting at, If is so much smarter he should win every
event he plays in.
I might agree he is wiser then 10 years ago. I do think his interviews are pretty standard.

I think if I were asked the same simple questions ten thousand times I would tend to get a bit formulaic in my answers. I mean, they aren't exactly asking him about his new discoveries in the field of quantum computing, are they?

"I hit the ball pretty well today"

"I putted poorly today"

"Tough course"

Blah, blah, blah.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Sandpiper, how about if we just agree to disagree since I do not agree with your green and blue statements. As far as the red, it'd be nice to think that another Tiger is lurking here on the board, but I doubt it (no disrespect to anyone here...I suck at this game and anyone here shooting consistent low 80's or better would blow me away). Tiger is and has been at a different level since before he turned pro. So far, no one has consistently reached his level...it will be a long time before anyone does IMHO. And, no, not everyone on tour is as good as everyone else...that statement is simply wrong. Part of being a top tour player is being at the top of the tournaments you play consistently. Few are doing that.

Anyway, you have your opinions and I have mine...I doubt that's going to change. This would be a great conversation for a beer at the 19th hole after you had thoroughly trounced me. If we get the chance, I'll buy the first round!

OP
mont86

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
I think if I were asked the same simple questions ten thousand times I would tend to get a bit formulaic in my answers. I mean, they aren't exactly asking him about his new discoveries in the field of quantum computing, are they?

"I hit the ball pretty well today"

"I putted poorly today"

"Tough course"

Blah, blah, blah.

Eraser you got me there. touche...thats french you know..LOL...

thanks for all the info

Is this day ja vue???or is Ken posting this response in several threads.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Anyway, you have your opinions and I have mine...I doubt that's going to change. This would be a great conversation for a beer at the 19th hole after you had thoroughly trounced me. If we get the chance, I'll buy the first round!
MCDavis

Sounds good:).

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
IMO the competition has not only gotten better but so has the equipment. Tiger used to blow past everyone but maybe Daly and hit a shorter, higher iron in and make a ton of birdies. I feel equipment has leveled it off a bit and it's actually hurt Tiger.

The swing change has to have some impact as well. Seems to me he may be better with iron control but worse than he was with the driver.

He's had a lot on his plate the past year in his personal life as well. Death of his father and birth of his daughter. This has to take it's toll in the amount of time and commitment to the game he had say in the late 90's. Back then it was probably 99% golf and 1% "what the hell am I going to do with all this money." :laugh:

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Well, I'm with MCDavis.

The only reason we are on different pages is because we see Tiger differently, nothing can be done, and I think all of us bring good points.

Anywho, Tiger Rox My Sox! True story.

🔥 Latest posts