• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tiger's new putter....getting close...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
"Are you kidding... Tiger will have that putter in the bag for sure next year. Why do you think they made it? Nike just has companies copy whatever Tiger likes. Tell me that putter is not a Newport with a swoosh?" - Ezra

"I'll betcha, I'll betcha a solid 8 condition Raw Haze 56-10 Mizzy that Tiger has that Nike putter in the bag next year at Augusta." -Ezra

"You don't want to make that bet (Ez)." - VTDivot

"I do! If you win, i'll buy you a wedge. If you lose, you owe me a 56* Raw Haze. DONE.

VT will be the mediator." -Rockford35

"Don't count on it. Nike made that putter for one reason, Tiger. They want that Cameron out and have 100 million reasons for Tiger to switch. It will be to exact specs of his Cameron of course, just a swoosh instead of a crown. Do you really think he'd be hitting that ridiculous SQ if Nike wasn't forcing it on him? He'd have a bag full of Titty's (maybe Mizuno irons) if conctractual obligations were no issue.

Consider it done my friend. Masters 07, Nike putter. Miz wedge on the line. Hmmm.... I do kind of miss my 60-04 every now and then." - Ezra

April 2-8th draws near, Ez. I'll substitute the 52* if you want. :D

R35

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
There's a chance with the way that he putted in the Match Play, he has been carrying the Unitized as a back up for a few months now.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Sometimes a putter change (similar to a driver change) makes you better NOT because the putter is really better but you concentrate more on your setup and line (since it is a new club)? :)

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
There's a chance with the way that he putted in the Match Play, he has been carrying the Unitized as a back up for a few months now.

I'm telling you that Tiger knows that his current putter is what won him multiple majors and millions apon millions of dollars.

He won't change from what he knows works.

I bet a wedge on it with Ez. ;)

R35

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
I'm telling you that Tiger knows that his current putter is what won him multiple majors and millions apon millions of dollars.

He won't change from what he knows works.

I bet a wedge on it with Ez. ;)

R35

He won a lot with the Ignite Driver and changed to an SQ, I'm not guaranteeing that he will change, but it is possible.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Thats different,they are both Nike drivers.With his putters we are talking about his loyalty to Scotty the man,and Tiger seems like the loyal type to me.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
How about loyalty to the man who is and has paid him millions of dollars over the years. If he feels comfortable with something, he will use it.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Maybe

But will Nike produce a better putter than Scotty Cameron can?

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I have to agree here. If you find a good putter, you'll use it forever.

A driver is just window dressing. Guys hit the ball 300 yards with persimmon. It's just flash.

But a good putter lasts a long, long time if you're smart about it.

R35

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
Maybe

But will Nike produce a better putter than Scotty Cameron can?

When it is being designed specifically for a plyer, they very well may be able to. With the resources they have to develop numerous models with varying weight and materials, they may be able to create a putter that he likes more. I'm sure that they would give it their utmost attention if he were planning on switching, not saying that Scotty wouldn't also, but it is a possibility that Nike having so much invested in Tiger would go out of their way to make a putter that meets his very high demands. Scotty has plenty of other Tour players that he needs to design for, his putters do not benefit as much from Tiger using them as a Nike putter would.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Hmmm,well we shall see:) Scotty C may have some magic dust that Nike cannot replicate and Tiger will just never leave

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
Hmmm,well we shall see:) Scotty C may have some magic dust that Nike cannot replicate and Tiger will just never leave

Only time will tell, I'll take his Scotty's if he doesn't want them anymore.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Only time will tell, I'll take his Scotty's if he doesn't want them anymore.

You missed the eBay auction for one of his back ups. Bidding started at $125,000.00 USD.:laugh:

The one link that Tiger has had in his bag for all of his Majors and wins has been a Scotty putter. He has gone through a few different versions of the Newport style (a Pro Platinum, a TEI, and his current model) but he has had a Scotty in his bag from day one on the Tour. If he is going to replace it with a Nike, my guess will be that he will do it between seasons so he has time to get comfortable with it before he puts in play. Either that or Nike throws his some kind of rediculous bonus to put one of their putter in play.

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
In any other sport in the world Nike would simply pay Scotty Cameron a ridiculous amount of money to make Tiger an identical putter - or even refurbish his old ones - in the Nike livery and look. I know from cricket that the decals on the bats the professionals used gave no indication as to which manufacturer had actually made them, and from working with pro soccer clubs several years ago I would regularly see players wearing, for example, Puma boots that had the Adidas three stripes sewn onto them or other variations. That's why the manufacturers started making the soles look so distinctive!

Or is Scotty Cameron's reputation so enhanced by the fact that despite all the money Nike throw at him Tiger still plays one of his putters that it would be commercial suicide for him to do this for him?

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
It's really hard for me to believe that the current top rated golfer in the world couldn't putt just as well with a Dunlop Redneck as a Scotty Cameron.

As long as you make it the same length, headweight, MOI, insert material & loft what's the difference? The darn thing is being swung at about 4 mph! It's not a driver!

🔥 Latest posts