• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tigers surgery

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
He has a herniated disc that is pinching a nerve from the reports I've heard. The surgery he had basically they went in and trimmed the herniated part of the disc away from the spine to relieve the pressure off the pinched nerve. Pinched nerves are funny, no timeframe to heal.

4 years ago I herniated a disc in my lower back and it pinched a nerve. It FREAKING A hurt. I couldn't sit, stand or hardly walk. I could basically lay on the floor. I went to the doctor and they recommended the same surgery that Tiger had. I chose to get a second opinion and off to Dartmouth I went, one if the top spine centers in the country. I didn't end up having surgery but I fly a desk an still have issues with a pinched nerve. I was scared to hit a golf ball for 18 months, could have sooner but the memory if the pain kept me away. I didn't want to reinjure.

As for the surgery, the doctor was very clear-once they cut the back it will never be the same. It will heal but it MAY OR MAY NOT help. It was about 50/50. He will come back but most likely will never be the same. He may win again but for the first time in a LONG time, I'll take the field.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
The "Golf News" article posted by DFH says Woods still intends on beathing Nicklaus and Hogan's records. That desire is what probably gets him motivated to face each day. It would be difficult to bet against him. Yet, the odds of him recovering enough to ever play well enough to win and win majors is doubtful.
Nicklaus never had physical issues until he was well past his prime. Even then, he had a hip replacement had still played some extremely competitive golf on the Senior Tour. Couples continues to be plagued with the back problems that robbed him of playing competitive golf. And, he swings with a lot less vigor than does Woods.
If Woods can somehow be convinced to reduce his swing to 80% and play for accuracy over length... play for hitting a 7-iron where he hits a wedge today... he may be able to compete. If he comes back with the same dynamic swing he has utilized his entire career, I just don't see the body holding up.
The other issue is the motivation to win. Woods will never feel his career complete unless he breaks one or both of the Nicklaus/Hogan records. Yet, he is a billionaire with yacht, huge mansion, any female he desires ready and willing to bed him, luxury autos... he will never want for anything financially. Can he still will the body to excell? Is there still enough motivation to have that nagging feeling in the back of your head that the next swing could put you in a wheelchair... and keep on swinging?
The last chapter still hasn't been written.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Maybe so but the fact remains that only 2 golfers have won 4 majors after 38- Hogan and Nicklaus and neither had back issues. Couples entire career was derailed by back injuries.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I now know we've entered the Twilight Zone...limp is arguing for Tiger, BigJim against.

And you both make very valid points.
Backs are no joke and everybody heals at a different pace. I kid you not, when I herniated my disk I could only get comfortable laying flat on the floor.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
About 11 years ago, I was climbing out of my Yukon back seat backwards (had reached in to get some of my daughter's toys), missed the running board and fell out on my back. Cracked 2 vertebrae. In the past I snapped 3 bones in my ankle at once, and the pain was NOTHING compared to the cracked vertebrae. To make it worse, I was 3 hours from home visiting family with my then young daughters after my divorce, and had to drive home 3 hours alone a few days later.

Backs are definitely no joke.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
He should go to Europe like Kobe & Arod, use some non FDA approved methods then come home better than ever!

My back is still in my head. I don't think I ever told you guys this but after I hurt my back I sold all my equipment. All I had left was my bag and putter and only because the putter didn't sell and the bag would have been a pita to sell. I didn't think if ever play again. I hurt it in December and didn't touch a club for 18 months, didn't even own one.

Then it started to get better. I bought a wedge and started chipping around and hitting 1/2 wedge and full wedge shots. When that went ok I got a full set and slowly worked my way back.

I still don't play as much as I used to but I practice more and hurting my back forced me to get healthier. I still need to lose a bunch if weight but I'm getting there.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
fork-small.jpg

However, I would not be disappointed if I'm wrong.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I still need to lose a bunch if weight but I'm getting there.

You and me both. I'm down 6 pounds in 3 weeks on my new diet using the Lose It! ap, despite Mary bringing home food at every opportunity. You should try it if you already haven't.

I had had intermittent back pain for the last 30 years. Sometimes it would be so bad I literally could not move. Sometimes it would start with a "pop" in my lower back; other times it would just start hurting. The only medication I have found that helps quickly is a steroidal anti-inflammatory like prednisone.

In order for Tiger to win a major again, he will have to change the way he plays golf. He will have to start playing more like Zach Johnson and less like Dustin Johnson. I don't think he that smart.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
You and me both. I'm down 6 pounds in 3 weeks on my new diet using the Lose It! ap, despite Mary bringing home food at every opportunity. You should try it if you already haven't.

I had had intermittent back pain for the last 30 years. Sometimes it would be so bad I literally could not move. Sometimes it would start with a "pop" in my lower back; other times it would just start hurting. The only medication I have found that helps quickly is a steroidal anti-inflammatory like prednisone.

In order for Tiger to win a major again, he will have to change the way he plays golf. He will have to start playing more like Zach Johnson and less like Dustin Johnson. I don't think he that smart.
The app is called lose it?

I've found that a double dose of arthritis acetaminophen helps (659mg each) sometimes.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
yep, Lose It! is the ap.

I'm wary of that big of a dose of acetominophen, although I take 2 Excedrin (aspirin + acetominophen + caffiene) twice a day, just so I can move. The prednisone I add when I'm debating whether I want to move or just lay down and die. :)

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online