• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tigers surgery

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I can't remember the last time I took a pill. Probably that antibiotic for the infection in my finger...

As a general rule, I don't take medications.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I had a form of arthritis called "ankylosing spondylitis" years ago. It affects mainly the spine by eroding the discs. Then the vertebrae want to grow together into one solid bone. It starts with "spurs" and those pinch the nerves. I had to take a drug called Indocin at that time to relieve the inflamation and be able to function and one of the side affects in 1º of the users is that it destroys the little hairs in your inner ear and you go deaf. I was in that 1º. After awhile they came out with better drugs. That disease ends when you get around 50 years old (thank God) but it leaves you a mess. When it acts up I go to a chiropractor and they fix it! Every time. sssmokin has a herniated disc and some days he can't hardly get out of the golf cart. He gets relief from a chiropractor also.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
The "Golf News" article posted by DFH says Woods still intends on beathing Nicklaus and Hogan's records. That desire is what probably gets him motivated to face each day. It would be difficult to bet against him. Yet, the odds of him recovering enough to ever play well enough to win and win majors is doubtful.
Nicklaus never had physical issues until he was well past his prime. Even then, he had a hip replacement had still played some extremely competitive golf on the Senior Tour. Couples continues to be plagued with the back problems that robbed him of playing competitive golf. And, he swings with a lot less vigor than does Woods.
If Woods can somehow be convinced to reduce his swing to 80% and play for accuracy over length... play for hitting a 7-iron where he hits a wedge today... he may be able to compete. If he comes back with the same dynamic swing he has utilized his entire career, I just don't see the body holding up.
The other issue is the motivation to win. Woods will never feel his career complete unless he breaks one or both of the Nicklaus/Hogan records. Yet, he is a billionaire with yacht, huge mansion, any female he desires ready and willing to bed him, luxury autos... he will never want for anything financially. Can he still will the body to excell? Is there still enough motivation to have that nagging feeling in the back of your head that the next swing could put you in a wheelchair... and keep on swinging?
The last chapter still hasn't been written.
This is pretty much the way I see Tiger's career playing out.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I hear everything being said and the one thing I keep thinking about is how painful my herniated disk was.

I was only comfortable laying flat on the floor. When I needed to walk I had to walk tilted to one side to keep the pain manageable. Forget using the bathroom-I'm not going there :) . When it finally pinched the nerve my left leg felt like I had a Charlie horse and the top of my left foot went numb-and still is today though not as bad.

Surgery was no guarantee and that's from one of the top spinal surgeons in the country/world.

No amount of will power would have changed any of that.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Yeah, when my back acts up, the most dreaded thing in the world is having to wipe my ass. Now I know why the Froggies invented the bidet.

As far as my liver goes, it's motto is what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
Been there done that, for what ever reason though, I never got a t-shirt, 3 times no T-shirt. 1999, I was rolling up a thick canvas tarp standing on top of a high back HMMV (hummer) when I was in the Marine Corps. We we in the desert in 29 Palms where I was stationed at the time. The wind kicked up, and the tarp caught it, pulled me back off the top. I landed on the open tailgate, then fell to the sand. I was told it was just muscle spasms, untill 2004 when I finally convinced them to give me an MRI. First surgery soon after. Then in 2005 a second, followed less than a month later by the third. I was on convalesant leave healling from the 2nd, when I sneezed and ruptured a disc. I was sooooo anxious to get back to playing, but was sooooo scared of the pain. It took me almost a year before I started to putt and chip. 18 months untill I was swinging again. Nothing is the same. Pain is there, although not as bad. some days its really bad, and I do nothing. The radiating is still there but minimal, and I try to play every day if I can to stay moving and flexible. The winters suck back, sitting around really doing nothing, and cold don't help. People with back pain understand people with back pain... others think we are complaining to much. Well, the amount of Morphine I ingest is not indicitive of a false complaint.
But I take it easy, and am semi retired from the Marine Corps because of it. I wonder some times how well I could have been (golf wise) had I not been injured. Oh well, I'm never gonna make money at it.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Been there done that, for what ever reason though, I never got a t-shirt, 3 times no T-shirt. 1999, I was rolling up a thick canvas tarp standing on top of a high back HMMV (hummer) when I was in the Marine Corps. We we in the desert in 29 Palms where I was stationed at the time. The wind kicked up, and the tarp caught it, pulled me back off the top. I landed on the open tailgate, then fell to the sand. I was told it was just muscle spasms, untill 2004 when I finally convinced them to give me an MRI. First surgery soon after. Then in 2005 a second, followed less than a month later by the third. I was on convalesant leave healling from the 2nd, when I sneezed and ruptured a disc. I was sooooo anxious to get back to playing, but was sooooo scared of the pain. It took me almost a year before I started to putt and chip. 18 months untill I was swinging again. Nothing is the same. Pain is there, although not as bad. some days its really bad, and I do nothing. The radiating is still there but minimal, and I try to play every day if I can to stay moving and flexible. The winters suck back, sitting around really doing nothing, and cold don't help. People with back pain understand people with back pain... others think we are complaining to much. Well, the amount of Morphine I ingest is not indicitive of a false complaint.
But I take it easy, and am semi retired from the Marine Corps because of it. I wonder some times how well I could have been (golf wise) had I not been injured. Oh well, I'm never gonna make money at it.
I used to be the guy thinking that back pain people complained until I herniated my disk. Never again & I totally get the fear. The first swing I took was the most hesitant and jittery swing. I thought for sure I was going to crumple into a pile on the ground!

rob0225

Mar 27, 2006
Country
Had this done about 2 1/2 years ago. Fused T3 to L2. Started playing again about a year ago. I can't get a full back swing and I've lost a bit of distance but other then that game is generally looking good.

16200_10151157585127844_628666913_n.jpg

rob0225

Mar 27, 2006
Country
People with back pain understand people with back pain... others think we are complaining to much.

So true, especially in the military. You're expected to "suck it up" and drive on and for the most part we do to our detriment.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Have had back pain and at time massive spasms since I was 19. Car wreck where I was t-boned resulting in both a ruptured spleen and a broken C-3 vertebrae. Traction in the hospital for 2 weeks with my freakin head harnessed to a set of weights and then 3 months of being bolted into a halo brace. Comes and goes, will be fine for months and then sneeze hard and it will act up.

🔥 Latest posts