• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Time for a new driver

J-bird76

Jan 11, 2006
I'm ready to lay down some of my hard earned greenbacks for a new Big Stick. I've played a "Biggest" Big Bertha(circa. 1995) for the past 9 years. I think its around 290-300cc, and i'm ready to get up over 400cc.
Two weeks ago bought a new ERC Fusion from Golfsmith. After one session on the range, I took it out to my home course and after teeing off on 1, I noticed that the golden Callaway "V" had popped out never to be seen again. That kinda shook my confidence in the Fusion line.
The R7 is my dream driver, but its outta my price range. I've narrowed it to the Cleveland Launcher or a Cobra. My most common misses with my old Bertha are pulls/hooks. Any advice about drivers that would suit me or reviews on the mentioned drivers would be cool.

Thanks, J

longiron

May 2, 2005
I didnt care for the R7 but that me, The launcher was my second choice just did lose out, as far a the cobra i hit it well but damn you better get ear plugs. That has to be the loudest thing i have ever heard. I flinched when i hit it. Other then that it is a good driver.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Yep, Launcher. Or, wait for the new Hi Bore from Cleveland to come out. If it's good enough for Veeg, it's good enough for anyone.

My second choice would be the new X460 from Callaway. Although I haven't hit it, it looks so sweet. I have such confidence in the Callaway line (save, the Fusion), I can't imagine this being a flop.

Thirdly, the R7 425. So many players playing this thing, that has to say something.

I just bought a Callaway 4545 Titanium with a Graf Blue shaft in it, 9.9/10 condition, shipped and paid for for 140 CDN. You can't beat that.

R35

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Please demo the R5. I have it in the 10.5-degree with OEM stiff shaft. I love this driver. Love it. I demoed the Launcher, and the GBB2, and owned a Cobra SS350. Many reviews I've read put the R5 above the R7 for most players. I haven't tried some of the newest sticks out there, but frankly - I don't feel the need. And I am a Club HO, daddy-O!

Demo this club.

Whatever >400cc driver you get, add one degree to the loft. If you normally play a 9.5-degree, get a 10.5, etc. Don't know why - just know it's what several top teaching pros say.

BTW - the R5 can be had in D (draw bias), or N (neutral bias). I still occasionally get the pulls with my N model. I know, I know - it's the swing, dummy!

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Oh - I didn't read your last post. Hope the new Callaway is the club of your dreams.

Lloyd Hackman

Dec 12, 2005
J

You should go Custom, the correct shaft frequency is the important thing not the maker of the head (you won't get anything like the Pros use anyway. Their club heads don't come off the same shelf your would). Your chance of getting the correct shaft in an off the shelf club is less then 20%. Check out www.fitchip.com to be fitted with the latest technology. Their Kent Sports Alpha C830 460CC driver is as good a head that you can find on the market and is used by several Long Drive Champions.

🔥 Latest posts