• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Time to quit for real

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Believe me, I think about the money and health issues a lot. I just have to make a total commitment. I've been working out a little and want to gain some weight back, eating instead of smoking will be a good thing.

As far as my grandmother, it's a tough thing to think about. It's just a fact that smoking took a lot of years away from her and having her with us eventually.

Thanks again guys.

phil048

Oct 24, 2006
Hey Ezra

Sorry to hear about your gran.

I lost my mother to lung cancer when she was 60 and my father is 79 years and lives on a day to day basis with Emphasema. He can't even walk a yard without having to suck hard on the oxygen mask. He wished he had never started smoking.

I guess you don't think of the harm it's causing when your young but I know he wants to live longer. I personally want to live as long as possible. I'd like to break the record for the oldest golfer ever whatever that record may be???

Take care

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Little update here. The good new is I've been just under 30days without going back to smoking.

The bad news... I am going to visit my grandmother with my dad in a few minutes. She has just been moved into a Hospice facility. She is too weak for chemo and has lung,colon and brain cancer. We were all planning visiting her on Friday... my uncle informed us she most likely won't make Friday.

I am thankful though that I have the oppurtunity for this last visit with her and she is still very coherent. Hopefully she will be strong enough to visit and talk for a short while.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Tough, Ez.

My G-ma just went through her 5th (and final) chemo treament, and told afterwards that her lung cancer is too far gone to treat. Basically, go home and live what you have left of your life.

That hits home for me, as I take her for her treatments about 50% of the time.

She smoked for damn near 60 years. 60!

Imagine how long she could have lived had she taken the steps you are when she was in her 30's. She's 85 now, and still mentally sharp as whip. Just her lungs are failing.

I hope things go well with your G-ma, and with the rest of your stop smoking campaign.

We're all 100% behind you, dude.

R35

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Thanks Rock. I just got back in a little while ago. Made the trek to see her. She went into the Hospice facility today. I broke down a bit when I saw her. No hair and maybe 75 lbs. She got radiation last week and she's not strong enough to handle it.

Plans were to get my brother there on Friday. I don't know if she'll make it till then. I'm going to try to get him there on Tues.

15andlife

Pulaski Golf Rocks!!
May 20, 2006
Sucks dude I feel for ya, my great grandma recently died at 92, and she had been smoking since she was 13 but her death had nothing to do with smoking. She fell out of her chair and shattered her wrists we took her to the hospital and they gave her two doses of morphine and well, that was the end of that. Im sorry to hear about it dude, it really does suck losing a loved one because all the time you know its coming its just a matter of time but when it does, damn.

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
Hang in there bud, sorry about your gramma :( Remember it for inspiration purposes, make sure you don't go down that route OK?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.