• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Time to quit for real

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
OK Dude we are in it together, I have tried before and failed, we have to go at it as a team here. You and I will cease supporting cigarette companies effective today. Not kidding here either.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
OK Dude we are in it together, I have tried before and failed, we have to go at it as a team here. You and I will cease supporting cigarette companies effective today. Not kidding here either.

Umm... better make that tomorrow.
icon10.gif

I saw my grandmother yesterday and she looked pretty good. Especially considering she had surgery yesterday to attach a permanent drain tube into her lung. (That's got to be a little uncomfortable). She will be starting Chemo in a few weeks, doctor hopes to shrink the tumor and prevent her lungs from continuing to fill with water. She was a little tired but in good spirits. Couldn't get enough of her great-granddaughter.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005

I wish you well. I quit four years ago. It can be done. Think of it as if you're a soldier being sent to war. You have to go, and you know it will be hell. But if you stay strong for a shorter time than it now feels, you can win.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I found out a couple of weeks ago that a guy I know quit smoking. Couldn't believe it. The guy was a 3 pack a day chain smoker and quit cold turkey.

He was, I thought, the most committed smoker on the planet, so if he can you can.

Everytime you feel bad and have a craving, remind yourself that it's suppose to feel bad when you give up an addiction. I used that thought when I quit and for me it helped.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Sorry to hear about your Grandmother Ezra.

Its been almost 7 years smoke free for me, and the differance inhow I feel is night and day. I am a real bitch of an exsmoker as well, dont even allow it in my garage. I tell people to get outside, all the way outside, and stay the fuk away from me when you are smoking, I want no part of that filthy sh!t.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I found out a couple of weeks ago that a guy I know quit smoking. Couldn't believe it. The guy was a 3 pack a day chain smoker and quit cold turkey.

He was, I thought, the most committed smoker on the planet, so if he can you can.

Everytime you feel bad and have a craving, remind yourself that it's suppose to feel bad when you give up an addiction. I used that thought when I quit and for me it helped.

Every time I felt a craving, I imagined a big hairy nasty tarantula crawling on the back of my neck. I imagined grabbing that bastard, tossing it to the ground, and stomping the SH*T out of it.

That helped too...

Bama Duffer

Mar 14, 2005
Good luck quitting, Ez. It's a habit I never picked up, thankfully. I have enough vices. :D

Sorry about your grandmother. Hope everything goes well. I'm going through cancer with my niece right now, so I can empathize with your concern and worry.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Umm... better make that tomorrow.
icon10.gif

I saw my grandmother yesterday and she looked pretty good. Especially considering she had surgery yesterday to attach a permanent drain tube into her lung. (That's got to be a little uncomfortable). She will be starting Chemo in a few weeks, doctor hopes to shrink the tumor and prevent her lungs from continuing to fill with water. She was a little tired but in good spirits. Couldn't get enough of her great-granddaughter.

How's your gramma doing? And how's your quitting the cigs going?

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
how's the quitting going ez? good luck to ya.
ps. i know this thread is old, just looking for an update.
haha

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I quit smoking in August cold turkey after smoking a pack a day. I HAD cut down from 2 packs a day in 1999 after they took bladder cancer out of me. What causes bladder cancer? Smoking. Duh! So I quit and now I'm 20 pounds heavier (just started a diet) so that's gonna happen. Also, my golf scores mysteriously shot up in September and finally died back down to normal in October. Why? I didn't light up after a bad shot which helped me forget it and the anger and frustration kept building and fouled up my mental game. After the addiction passed I could score again. I KNOW that's what it was. Just passing this on so you know what to expect in your very WISE decision to quit smoking.... :)

fore142

Oct 22, 2006
good luck to your gran ez...

You said you could save over 2k by not smoking and using it on a membership. You know, you could buy a good 20 or 30 wegdes with that money. Or two or three sets of irons. Or 15 or so drivers. Imagine what that would do to your post count, to be able to post about all of your new clubs. You would eventually rival rock.

Again, good luck to you and your gran...

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Well, I made it about 6hrs. today, chewed on some nicotine gum and almost barfed. Then my GF came home and I broke down and went out to buy a pack. I saw my grandmother at Christmas, she weighs less than 80lbs. now. Cancer is everywhere. My dad and aunt think she probably won't make it through this month (my dad is an LPN and my Aunt is an RN). They are going to try Chemo but it's too late.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Ezra---try the hypnosis....I know this is weird coming from somone who is very skeptical but I have seen two co-workers stop cold turkey from the hypnosis....and I think if you could tell the hypnotist about your gran and your feelings toward her....he could give you a power of suggestion that would break you of it...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Ez,

Tough news about your g-ma.

If anything, use her as motivation. I mean, eventually you want to have a few kids, play more golf with your dad and live a long and fufilling life, right?

You can do this, buddy.

R35

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Thanks guys. I am really hoping she can hang in there like your gram Rock. I need to stop so I can teach my grankids how to play someday. The cost is just ridiculous. I spend well over 2K a year on smoking. I could have a weekday membership to the muni up the road, 12 lessons from one of the best pro's around as well as still have over $700 to ho clubs. That's nuts.

Ezra76

Ezra,

One of the incentives I used was I PROMISED myself that EVERY DIME I spent on cigarettes I could now spend on golf and I HAVE!! That way you are giving up something you love to do but getting something better in return!! Think about it. It worked for me.

Sorry about your Gram's downturn.

:D

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Members online

No members online now.