• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tip Trimming Aldila DVS shaft ?

RC52

It's in the hole-ASSCLOWN
Mar 30, 2008
Well, i've had the Adams XTD A3 driver for a month and a half, still getting used to it, but its 46" assembled length is really difficult to get used to even when gripping down. I've also have a bit of a problem with how high it launching when compared to a Proforce Gold 65g shaft in my previous driver.

So, i guess my dilemma, is should i pull the shaft and tip trim an addition inch with the hope of lowering the ball flight some or trim from the butt 1" and re-grip it.

According to Aldila specs you need to tip trim all fairway woods 1" and butt trim to length, but for drivers aldila recommends just butt trimming to length with no tip trimming at all. Any thoughts?

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
When I had the DVS in my A3, it was a stiff and tipped 1 inch. It played very nice that way. My SS is normally between 100-110, and the numbers were good. 12-13 degrees of launch, and around 3000 rpm. I am a low spin player, though.

Get this. I put in the Matrix, tipped 3/4 and playing 44 inches. My launch went up, to between 13.5-14.5, and the spin went down to 2700-2800. Good stuff.

OP
RC52

RC52

Mar 30, 2008
When I had the DVS in my A3, it was a stiff and tipped 1 inch. It played very nice that way. My SS is normally between 100-110, and the numbers were good. 12-13 degrees of launch, and around 3000 rpm. I am a low spin player, though.

Get this. I put in the Matrix, tipped 3/4 and playing 44 inches. My launch went up, to between 13.5-14.5, and the spin went down to 2700-2800. Good stuff.

Hummm....my swing speed is 99-102. Clug, did you hit the DVS before you tip trimmed it? I'm a little worried about it being too stiff. What do you think?

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
I actually went to the range today with my Macgregor MT460 with DVS and tried it for the first time since I've cut it down to 43.75"
It was kind of interesting, but with the shorter shaft my swingspeed jumped.
I had all my drivers out today along with impact tape and the swingspeed radar.
My r5 with prolaunch I was consistently right around 103mph. (44.5")
I have a quadradic that I threw a Wishon Interflexx high into this morning that I had good results with and was consistently swinging 107. (44.75")
The "short" macgregor I was swinging 109-116. I didn't like that there was such a range, but I don't think I've ever swung that fast while still making center-face contact

I'd recommend butt trimming 1/2" - blow on a grip, try it - if it gets better, maybe try another 1/2" from the butt

If you try 1/2" off the butt and the flight is too high, then try tipping it, but butt trimming is lot easier

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Hummm....my swing speed is 99-102. Clug, did you hit the DVS before you tip trimmed it? I'm a little worried about it being too stiff. What do you think?

The normal shaft should be right in that range, but it is just a suggestion. I like Ricks idea about taking off a half and inch from the butt first. That's easy to do.

Tipping it may be too much, or maybe not. Everyone is different. If you had some launch monitor numbers, it would be a little easier to tell.

OP
RC52

RC52

Mar 30, 2008
First time out with the driver, since i trimmed 1" off the butt. I really had some mixed results, but i've been tinkering with my swing to set up for a draw, my miss now is to the left. I think the XTD head is fairly square, so i might have to try out the XTD Pro. Needless to say, the drives i had when i had draw in full effect were banging out there 250+ which i've never done before. Overall, i need some more time on the range but it seem like i'm hitting lower than i was before, so i think i fixed that problem. Thanks for your help guys

🔥 Latest posts