• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tips for comming off a poor putting round.

halifax_golfer

Jun 26, 2006
I usually dont putt too poorly, but am never great at it. My last round however, I was way worse then bad. 42 putts, I usually have about 33-35 or so.

Any tips to help get the poor putting from last round out of my head?, golfing is annoying when your hitting the shots to get a decent score, but then miss every 5ft putt you come across.

I wish I had a new putter to try out, but I dont. I just need to get some confidence back.

Tavery1

Jul 15, 2009
Best answer I have is go putt, my "home" course has 2 practice greens and as long as your respectful and carry yourself like your playing they don't mind.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I'd also say just go putt. I had 40 the other day and my big issue was decelerating. The next day I practiced for well over an hour, probably close to 2. I still went out and putted crappy but not as bad. At least I gave them a chance.

It's like anything in the game really. If you never had a bad day, you'd never get better. Don't get content with any amount of putts, any amount of fairways or greens. It can always get better and usually will get a little worse before it does.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I usually dont putt too poorly, but am never great at it. My last round however, I was way worse then bad. 42 putts, I usually have about 33-35 or so.

Any tips to help get the poor putting from last round out of my head?, golfing is annoying when your hitting the shots to get a decent score, but then miss every 5ft putt you come across.

I wish I had a new putter to try out, but I dont. I just need to get some confidence back.

I don't wanna hear any crying. I had 46 putts today. 4-6.... I literally was struggling to even attempt to KICK it in with my foot.

OP
H

halifax_golfer

Jun 26, 2006
I putted a bit better yesterday, never got to finish the round as it was Jr. Night so things just got out of hand slow.

I'll get some practice in sometime soon though, but the alternator just died in my car so I have no way to get to the course for the next few days.

Thanks for the advice though. It's those darn 3-10footers that are killin me, I needa make some of those to get Par's instead of bogeys.

scgamecock

Feb 5, 2009

just hit the ball to two feet every time.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I putted a bit better yesterday, never got to finish the round as it was Jr. Night so things just got out of hand slow.

I'll get some practice in sometime soon though, but the alternator just died in my car so I have no way to get to the course for the next few days.

Thanks for the advice though. It's those darn 3-10footers that are killin me, I needa make some of those to get Par's instead of bogeys.

Don't blame it all on putting either. If you aren't hitting very many greens then chipping is more the culprit actually. For the most part, when I go 35+ putts it's because I hit a ton of greens. When I have 28-29 putts it's because I hit squat for greens. My chipping is the strongest part of my game and I'm better off missing the green and chipping from a few feet off than hitting it from 25-30 feet away a lot of the time. My putting has been atrocious though. I don't know how many putts I've missed from 3-4 feet in the last few weeks. I practiced for an hour last evening with my old Tear Drop 35" putter and dropped everything from everywhere. That's on flat, slow practice green at the range near my house though. Out at the course the greens have crazy breaks and running at 12 right now. I keep reminding myself, "that's why I picked this course", it's the hardest around for shots off the tee and putting, my 2 weakest points.

Lefty_SnowBird

Jul 6, 2009
Find yourself a nice practice green at a nearby course, search for some putting drills on the web and practice. There's no secret to putting...all it takes is practice, practice and more practice. Once you think you're putting is where it should be, keep practicing.

Drills will keep you motivated (some are fun) and best of all, they give you the same pressure putt feel that you'd have on the course. Everytime I went to practice putting seriously, I had a couple great putting rounds...unfortunatly, i didn't follow the "keep practicing" part of my advice :)

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
My work seems to be starting to pay off. I still missed a couple really stupid short ones but think it's out of my system now. I knocked in a few 10-12footers, one for a birdie. Made a 3footer for birdie after almost driving the green with a 3W as well. They had the tees way up on a par 4 to make it drivable for a tournament this morning.

OP
H

halifax_golfer

Jun 26, 2006
It might be a combo of my chipping and putting. I'll have to start keeping track of my "up and down" and "GIR" stat to really find out; I usually chip to within 5-10ft at the most (IMO my chipping is very consistant), but I almost always miss that 5footer after the chips, so the good chips dont end up counting for anything.

I changed the rythem of my putting stroke after watching Tom Watsons quick putting rythem, and it seemed to help a little. It definitly helped get rid of any decelleration that I might have had. Still missed a tonne of putts yesterday though;

I think its time for a new putter but I gotta pay for my wedding in a week, and I gotta get some crap fixed on my car first. Maybe we will get some good (money) gifts for our wedding and I can get one shortly after.

Thanks for the tips, good to know I'm not the only decent player that is really having a tough time with putting.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
What's helped me is simply to release the putter, let it go. I've noticed that with all the + cap kids I've played with. They stroke a 3footer and really follow through with the putt, never jab and stop. Like the putterhead just flows on down the line, no matter how short the putt.

I've also gone back to a 35" putter. Put the old Teardrop Rollface back in the bag.

Keep at it man. Chipping might seem solid as far as striking it but it takes a lot of practice to get the speed and feel for a few different clubs. I'll have rounds where I'll hole one and put 4-5 of them inside a foot. Those are the rounds I score well.

There is a guy I play with, he's the 3rd guy on our corporate membership. This guy doesn't strike the ball as well or have nearly as good a wedge game as me. He routinely shoots 79-81 every single round though. One of the best putters I've seen. Every time I've played with him he holes at least one ridiculous putt. I'm talking like 30+ ft. with 3 breaks and somtimes off a fringe. I asked him "what would be one tip... or better yet, one "thought" that you'd give me on my putting". He said "I see the same thing with you and Bobby (my boss). You guys are afraid of putts. You just gotta go after them, what's the worst that could happen?". He's 100% right too.

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
I am going to go ahead and throw out the obvious answer. Get rid of the malfunctioning putter, buy a shiny new one or a classic old one. Believe that this putter will make you a better putter, and you will discover the meaning of a self fulfilling prophecy.

OP
H

halifax_golfer

Jun 26, 2006
Just got home from another round; My best putting round of the year 31 putts (I know I still suck).

My buddy and I were having a bit of a joke today about picturing a little doggy sized swimming pool in place of the hole, and it worked awsome; Think how easy it is to putt a ball into a 3-5ft dia. doggy sized swimming pool. I mean it's gotta be a big mis-read or a very poor putt to miss a swimming pool right?. That thought made all the difference today in my putting, If they didn't go in for me today, they all had a chance and I was getting my two putt when I hit the greens. I actually drained a nice 12 footer for a bird aswell!, and felt NO pressure at all while hitting it.

Anyways, I really recommend trying that "swimming pool" thought out; really takes a lot of the pressure out of putting, I was even using it on 8-12 foot putts and made a few very decent putts.

Just putt to the pool.

:) saves a lot more money that I woulda spent on a new putter.

edit1 - I've heard the tip before about putting into a circle around the hole, but that just didn't seem to click well with me; The swimming pool thought releived more pressure and just seemed to work (at least for one round), another thought that was going through my head was just picturing a GIANT (3ft) golf hole to putt into... I really like the swimming pool thought more though as it takes real golf out of my head.

BTW, still only shot an 88 today cause I lost a few too many balls and got a stinkin 8 on the 18th hole, however I did 1 putt the 18th from about 25-30feet with about 4-5feet of break in it.

jchase

Sep 23, 2008
What i have started doing that has helped my putting immensely is the KISS method! I just read the green as i am walking up breaks/up or down hill/ and then when i get up there pick a spot i want to hit the ball to take a few practice strokes and just go! I went from 18 putts last weekend to 14 this weekend could have been less had 2 nasty lip outs and one that just banged the back of the hole! But everything i missed was close enough to just tap it in! CONFIDENCE that is the biggest thing when i have a 3 to 5 footer left just go up there and know i am going to make it!

scgamecock

Feb 5, 2009
What i have started doing that has helped my putting immensely is the KISS method! I just read the green as i am walking up breaks/up or down hill/ and then when i get up there pick a spot i want to hit the ball to take a few practice strokes and just go! I went from 18 putts last weekend to 14 this weekend could have been less had 2 nasty lip outs and one that just banged the back of the hole! But everything i missed was close enough to just tap it in! CONFIDENCE that is the biggest thing when i have a 3 to 5 footer left just go up there and know i am going to make it!

on nine holes?

🔥 Latest posts