• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tips for hitting out of hard bunker sand around the greens

74 thing

Sep 4, 2008
Can you give me some tips on hitting out of hard bunker sand around the green? I have no idea on how to do it properly and it killed me this past weekend.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Open stance, open clubface(almost parallel to the ground), hit the sand behind the ball and allow the sand to carry the ball out of the bunker...for greenside anyway which is what you are asking about..

Go practice to get the feel on how hard to hit them...has always worked well for me. Bunker play is the only part of my game i have complete confidence in.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
If the sand is hard it would help to have a club with less bounce, something like 6*-8* would work.
For hard sand a more square stance in preferred. Hit closer to the ball than you would in soft sand, try 1 inch behind the ball instead of 2. Dont open the club face. When the club face is open it will bounce more, this is the last thing you want in wet sand. Bring the club up slightly steep than normal and follow through a little lower than normal. Hard sand is actually easier than soft to play out of.

EddieC

Feb 1, 2006
Clark, if he uses your technique he'll skull it 8 out of 10 times in hard packed bunkers, the back of that wedge will hit and bounce into the back of the ball. If there's no lip try a putter....you might be suprised. If there's a lip it's a crap shoot....I always try and hit it like a greeside chip and catch ball first....doesn't always work though.....

OP

74 thing

Sep 4, 2008
I have no problem hitting out of sand when it is fine, but when you walked into these bunkers it felt like hardpan it was so hard (probably do to the heat). Then there were other bunkers where it was practically mud-lack of sand in there.

I could not hit out of either using a typical sand shot around the green and opening up the club.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Just re-read the OP...didn't catch the 'hard bunker' part of it....

Sorry bout that...i agree with what lyle said out of hard bunkers

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
If it's extremely hard I use Lyle's method but the ball off my right foot and pick it. But it all depends on what kind of lie you have in the bunker.

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
One of the courses I play regularly has hard packed sand in their bunkers so I get lots of practice. I've actually gotten to the point where I prefer the hard coarse stuff to the fluffy white sand.

My first thought in hard sand is putter - go ahead and laugh but if there's no lip I'm not only getting out, I can actually control where the ball is going. If there is a lip I'll normally grab a PW or even a 7 iron and try to pick it clean.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
If the sand is hard it would help to have a club with less bounce, something like 6*-8* would work.
For hard sand a more square stance in preferred. Hit closer to the ball than you would in soft sand, try 1 inch behind the ball instead of 2. Dont open the club face. When the club face is open it will bounce more, this is the last thing you want in wet sand. Bring the club up slightly steep than normal and follow through a little lower than normal. Hard sand is actually easier than soft to play out of.
Our old home course, and the one we play the most now next to our current home course has really hard and shallow sand in the bunkers.

Lyle's post pretty much says it to a T how I play out of those traps. Also works well for wet bunkers.

I also am a follower or Pelz shortgame method, and it works well specifically with these types of traps. While the 8* bounce on my LW is ideal for these types of traps, with a bit of practice and by simply barely opening the clubface, I get similar results even with the 12-13* bounce on my 52* or 56* if I want more carry. You really do get more control and barely have to swing the club.

Depending on the traps, many times those with hard shallow traps, you can actually bottom the club out in the sand and hit well behind the ball (like several inches) and it will actually gather enough sand to throw the ball out nicely. If the bunkers are right for this, it is almost impossible to hit a poor sand shot, but I wouldn't try this unless you are certain and familiar with the traps and can practice the shot.

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Another shout for Lyle's advice. My course has bunkers like a builder's yard, it's disgraceful tbh - a flawed idea of wanting to build a Florida style course in errrrr...the south of England :bang:

First time I played I went for the old open face blast shot and hit a knee high tracer bullet 400 yards (at least). Low bounce, bit steep and lower follow though with just a teaspoon of sand is the best way.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Originally Posted by warbirdlover
If it's extremely hard I kick it out. But it all depends on what kind of lie you have in the bunker. Sometimes a quick hand toss works better.

Fixed it for ya buddy:thumbs up: :D

Wi-Golfer

Yeah, thanks for showing me how to do that!! :D

flomarilius

Nike staffer :)
Jun 19, 2006
there was a good answer to this on the golf fix last night. He said if your playing off hard pan bunkers you ought to make your normal swing but slower because your club is going to bounce off the hard pan.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.