• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Titelist irons for a beginner?

PingZing2

Can you HACK it?
Jun 6, 2005
Definitely the 804s and if you so chose it will be easier to transition into more of a players club when your swing gets better.

That will be based on your swing speed and the pro should have been able to tell you. Being younger and only getting a stronger swing I would recommend the stiff.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I don't know my swing speed but I'm 6'2" 190# and atheletic. Should I go for regular or stiff flex steel shafts? My instructor said no graphite irons for me. I don't see him till next Thursday and I want to pick up some clubs before then, hence the questions.

Thanks for all the great help, very friendly people here.

Cheers

1. Most players play shafts that are too stiff.

2. You can't know what shafts are right for you without knowing your swing speed, as well as how you load the club during the swing. You will not know these things for a while, and it will change as you learn to swing more efficiently. So take Stanters advice and tend towards regular flex. I think the Nippon stiff shafts in the 804's (should you choose to go for them) will play in-between a regular and stiff flex Dynamic Gold shaft, and might (emphasis might) be a good choice for you.

I don't know what else I can tell you.

paddy10189

Sep 14, 2006
I personally think if you are not a lower handicap who has the ability to work the ball (not just draws or fades but the trajectory and ball and ball flight) then you should look for the most forgiving club you can get while still being comfortable over the top of it. I made the mistake of thinking I could play irons that are just not forgiving and they cost me strokes on even the slightest mishits. I played a set of Ping I5's over the weekend and I was able to play my mid-irons alot better and end up with my second lowest score ever at an 84.

My next set of irons will be Mizuno MX-19's or I5's.

🔥 Latest posts