• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Titleist ball question

Which would be better for the high handcapper? V1 or the x

The DT Solo or either of the NXTs. Unless you're good enough around the green to really put spin on the ball and play for it to stop or spin back...

(and, naturally, the E5 or E6 by Bridgestone are a better bet than any of those for the high handicapper)

The DT Solo or either of the NXTs. Unless you're good enough around the green to really put spin on the ball and play for it to stop or spin back...
)

What am I missing about the ability about not being able to put the back spin on the ball?

You put backspin on the ball by hitting down on it with your hands ahead of the ball at impact, your clubface slightly delofted, and a downward angle of attack. Then hit it with the middle of the clubface. Instant spin.

The V1 has much more spin than the V1x. I get the same results off the driver as reported above. The V1x is much longer, and bores through the wind. The V1 spins much more, and it's not all backspin. It sidespins much more also. 5 yard draw becomes 15 yards. A 20 yard hook becomes a quacker.

For a higher handicapper, regardless of swingspeed, of the two I would suggest the V1x. Higher handicappers "generally" put too much sidespin on shots anyway, and the V1 will just increase that spin.

Since the higher capper also plays more shots from the rough, as found out by the USGA, they "should" be using the urethane covered balls to maximize the playability factor of their square grooves out of the rough.

What am I missing about the ability about not being able to put the back spin on the ball?

If, when you play up to the green, you always hit the turf and get some forward roll then the benefits of the premium balls aren't going to make that much difference for the extra cost. It's likely to be more cost effective to play the cheaper non-urethane covered balls which will still give you performance, but you won't be paying a premium for features you aren't in a position to use.

I'd agree about the V1x as a much easier option for high handicappers, but if you can't use that cover to help around the greens then why not save $20+ with E6s, HX Hots or NXT Tours, which all perform in a similar way, but lack the extra spin around the green of the premium balls?

If you can find them. Titleist's Japanese model the Gran Z is a good ball for a slow swing speed. Low compression, low spin, 3 piece ball with a more flexible cover for good stopping on the green.

I must have gotten some defective ProV1x's when I tried them. My 90mph swing (any swing speed Augster?) went nowhere, felt like billiard balls, and were clearly not suitable for my swing. ProV1's were much better. At least they felt like golf balls. I used them for a while, then found something 90% at good, at 50% of the cost. The x's? Would not even consider using them.

If you can find them. Titleist's Japanese model the Gran Z is a good ball for a slow swing speed. Low compression, low spin, 3 piece ball with a more flexible cover for good stopping on the green.

I had never heard of these until recently. The Gran Z is in the logo overrun bin at the local GS; priced something crazy too like $16/dz. I usually play the NXT Tour but recently started using the HX Hot (logo bin - 17/dz). I think the next time I'm in there I'll grab a handful of the Gran Z to try...

I don't like the "high spin" variants of the good balls. I'd stick with the ProV1 or better yet HX Tour or Zur (not the ZurS). :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423

eclark53520