• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Titleist D3 in 9.5 degrees with VooDoo shaft

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
It was a case of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. To the tune of "Wha ah ah ah ah, doh doh doh" (does that sound right?)

I have had most of the Titleist drivers over the years and really loved the shaft replacement concept here. I gave this one a spin at the range yesterday in a l2r cross breeze. I hit maybe 20 drives, enough to draw a conclusion. I was hitting the ball fairly well overall with other clubs.

The Good?
Nice looking club at set up. Confidence inspiring. Shaft seemed a fraction longer and compared to mine was indeed almost 1" longer. Lovely sound and feedback off the club, solid hits felt very solid. I crushed the first drive, really crushed it. Wow.

The Bad?
I hit a few more drives and the honeymoon period quickly wore off. Inconsistent, with quite a bit of dispersion. Not terribly forgiving missing the sweet spot.

The Ugly?
As well as some good ones I hit some really wild shots with this. A few snaps and a few massive slices. I am putting this down to the VooDoo shaft. It felt a little whippy.

I hit this alongside my Maltby CT250 Professional / Graman.

Verdict:

Put a perfect swing on this everytime and I would be bagging this. However put a 80% swing on this and get ready to start hoking in the rough looking for your ball.

I would like to try this in another shaft combo, but for me, it will not be replacing my current driver. My Maltby may lose 10 yards off the D3 but is a lot more stable.

Overall I would give this a 7.5/10

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Sounds exactly like me with it IG. I came to the same conclusion with the VooDoo shaft. I can tell you right now that the 'real' VooDoo would want to be a hell of a lot more stout and feel 500% better than the 'made for' version because that thing was a piece of dog feces. Or should that be fece? (singular)

Unsure, but the 'made for' blueboard was a hell of a lot better in the D3 than the VooDoo.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Back to the shop, Pro suggested "try another shaft". 30 secs later and hey presto, I'm good to go with...

Fujikura Rombax 7Z08 in stiff

Any thoughts on this bad boy??

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Is that the Yellow Rombax or the Grey/blue one which McIlroy has in his D2? Should be a good combo, I had a D2 and put a BB73X in it and it was a very solid stick. There is a D3 with the yellow Rombax in Eagle golf in Leeds, I've nearly bought it about ten time but resisted so let me know what you think of the one you've borrowed.

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Is that the Yellow Rombax or the Grey/blue one which McIlroy has in his D2? Should be a good combo, I had a D2 and put a BB73X in it and it was a very solid stick. There is a D3 with the yellow Rombax in Eagle golf in Leeds, I've nearly bought it about ten time but resisted so let me know what you think of the one you've borrowed.

The above made CNN's lead bulletin this lunchtime. Golf retailers were seen to be openly weeping at the news.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.