• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Titleist Pro V1's, Are They Worth It?

Hangfire

Jan 6, 2006
Most of my golfing buddies use Titleist Pro V1's, I use mid-priced Noodles, Callaways, and Mojo's. What makes the Pro V's worth the extra money, can you really tell that much of a difference???:smilie_ti

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
This may depend a great deal on your swing. If you have a swing speed with your driver less than say 90mph, the Noodle may very likely be the better choice and perform better for you than the Pro-V1, as it compresses at a lower speed. If on the other hand you have speeds over say 95-100 with your driver, you would likely benefit and get better performance out of a Pro-V1. Much over a 100mph and I would certainly say you may get better performance with a ball that does not compress as easily as the Noodle. Not saying the Pro-V1 is necessarily the answer, to expensive for me.

edit 1 - I think a big part of the attraction is that it offers a wide variety of characteristics that are usually not all found in one ball. Distance, spin and feel with reasonable durability. Although there are probably quite a few 3 piece balls that may be close at less cost. Again though, if you have a slower speed then you may get better performance out of the Noodle, which has reasonable spin, great feel, fairly durable, and in all likelyhood will be longer than the Pro-V1 on say an 80mph Swing speed.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Personally, I do not find the Pro V1's worth it as you can find other premium balls for less. Don't get me wrong, the Pro V1's are a great ball. I would use them if they did not cost so much, but I have found alternative balls that perfrom just as well for my particular game that are significantly cheaper to purchase.

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
Hangfire said:
Most of my golfing buddies use Titleist Pro V1's, I use mid-priced Noodles, Callaways, and Mojo's. What makes the Pro V's worth the extra money, can you really tell that much of a difference???:smilie_ti
The big difference is the amount of spin you can put on the ball, and the feel between the two balls around the greens. My experience of using Noodles versus more expensive 3-piece balls has convinced me that a 3-piece ball can be worth a few strokes a round if you have the ability and need to play certain types of shots.

With a Titleist Pro V1, you can play wedge shots to get the ball to land, and check quickly. With the Noodle, that same swing will yield a shot that lands, and then rolls out considerable more distance. Depending on how much green you have to land the ball in, that may or may not be a problem. In general, though, I'm finding that I prefer a ball that I can get to stop with pitch shots, but I can also get to roll with a chip shot setup. A Pro V1 can do that, a Noodle is tough to get to stop with a pitch shot.

You might want to try some Maxfli Black Maxes, it's a solid 3-piece ball that sells much cheaper than the Pro V1.

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
ualtim said:
Personally, I do not find the Pro V1's worth it as you can find other premium balls for less. Don't get me wrong, the Pro V1's are a great ball. I would use them if they did not cost so much, but I have found alternative balls that perfrom just as well for my particular game that are significantly cheaper to purchase.
Yeah, that's my basic assessment. They are terrific balls which I've gotten to try thanks to someone being kind enough to gift me a dozen, but at nearly $45 a dozen, way too much money when if you keep an eye on things, you should be able to get a dozen 3-piece balls for under $30.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Ravenous Bugblatter Beast said:
Yeah, that's my basic assessment. They are terrific balls which I've gotten to try thanks to someone being kind enough to gift me a dozen, but at nearly $45 a dozen, way too much money when if you keep an eye on things, you should be able to get a dozen 3-piece balls for under $30.
The are probably no longer available and sold out, but the 3-Piece Maxfli Rev Tour for which the Black Max Replaced, was $11.99 at Sports Authority. I would opt for 4 dozen of them over 1 dozen Pro-V1's anyday. In all likelyhood at my home course, I would spend more on Golf Balls than I do on a round of golf on some days if I played Pro-V1's. Although I would probably consider using them if we still lived down where we use too. I rarely go through more than 1-2 balls at any other course.

APowell1990

Jan 6, 2006
They ARE the best ball on the market. My dad told me he was not very impressed with the Black Maxes. I play on an open course so I dont have a big problem with losing balls. If I played at a tighter course I would consider a cheaper ball though. The Pro V1 is the best overall ball though. As mentioned they stop great and are longer than most balls. (carry wise)

🔥 Latest posts