• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

TLT? I'm the Hindenburg, baby.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Crash and f***ing burn.

I don't know what's happened to me. I played a round Monday at a short local muni, about 5400 yards long. It's in nice shape with quick and tricky greens.

EVERY drive (except for 1, and we'll get to that..) was a hook. Not a draw, or an overdraw, a HOOK. I would start the ball up the right side, straight down the right treeline, and it would just turn. Not a violent jerky turn, but a gradual, never-ending IWANNAGOLEFT flight. It's fun to flirt with trees on both sides of the fairway with just one swing. LOVE IT!

My iron play was mediocre at best, and thinny skid-marks at worst. I missed greens left all day with a too-much-draw, or I'd send it right with an ugly block.

My short game saved me from putting up a terrible number. I shot a 41 on the front with 0 fairways hit. ZERO. Many times I had to hook a shot around a tree and spin it around the green. One shot with a 9 iron, I had to punch under a tree and 45* off the line I wanted with enough draw spin to kick left onto the green. Mission accomplished. I made par from a f***ing squirrel nest.

The ONE good drive I had of the day was with my new TEE CB1/V2 combo. 300 yard par 4 with water at 280. Perfect contact, baby draw, ended up about 15 feet short of the water. After that drive, I did not hit a single golf shot. I must've been shell-shocked from standing in a goddamn fairway. Chipped it right into the water. Bled strokes for the last four holes.

WHAT AM I DOING!?!?!

I got a set of Wishon irons TLT'd AND MOI-matched to my old GW, which I hit GREAT. But for all the Peter Pan I've heard about TLT, all I'm getting is Captain Hook. Longer clubs (which are quite short relative to standard lengths) are the worst, but I'm even pulling my WEDGES. I can't even hit a 7iron on the dot anymore, and when it feels like I do, it's 10 yards shorter than I used to be. They're a wishon 555C/M mix with FST Pro 115 shafts, coming from MP-30's with rifle 5.5s.

My grip seems really strong, but it feels so weird to set up with my thumb going straight down the line, and I never had such trouble with the hooks. Feels very weak.

Anyone know where Josh Hamilton was getting his drugs? I'm willing to try anything.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
That's funny, in a perverse sort of way.

I always wondered how well it would really pan out.

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
Ive expiermented with everything from 1* flat to 4* upright, its usually not the clubs, much to hate on popular beliefs. I have read the ideas on TLT, and it does make sense. However, golf is a stupid game and its usually the dumbest things work the best. :) I say keep trying with them, worest comes to worest sell them to someone with similar specs and move on, there is no golden chalice.

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
Eventhough I didn't get properly fitted with the TLT specs, I didn't like my results either. I tried them for 2 months at the range and on the course.

I went back to my +.5" over standard, 2* upright irons and I'm playing better than ever.

Not saying TLT doesn't work. Maybe 2 months isn't enough but it just wasn't for me I guess.

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
my irons and FWs are TLT'd. i've been hitting them very consistantly. i'm starting go lower. i was close to breaking 40 for 9 holes at this course that i play a company league in, but my complete game wasn't on. i'll have good long games, but my mid-short game sucked or vice versa.

after i got used to TLT, i've posted 40, 40, 39 and just yesterday carded 38. my driving sucked, but as long as i have clear shot at the green, i'm usually on.

i'm also hitting my irons longer than ever. my PW (50*loft) going about 130yds to 200yds 5i (30*). not over swinging at all.

however, i'm still on/off w/ 3i and 4i.

OP
SilverUberXeno

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I carded even par 35 with my lie-adjust mizzies.

I'm going to give it time, but right now it's awful that even when I feel like I hit it pure, it's not going anywhere. A week before these finally arrived, I was hitting my irons longer than I ever have. SW was carrying 100, 7 iron was carrying 165. Just SMOKING the ball. But in all fairness it took a long time to get there with the old clubs. I just expected a set that was fit to me to fit like a glove right away.

It's not like I've never swung a club before... more like I've never hit a ball to the right before.

I feel Hogan's pain.

Including the car accident.

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
yeah give some time.

although it's "same club" length and lie is different, it's different club in a way.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
JArmour, there is no such thing as 'not getting properly fitted' and then still thginking you had TLT. Its not a 'roundabout thing', you are either fit or you aren't, and you weren't. Its like driving a Hyundai Coupe and saying its near enough a Ferarri.

Silver, clubs can't hook the ball that much, its either swing path or face angle, can you give more clues?

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
I'm having mixed results with my TLT set, too.

I'm hitting the 4 iron (don't carry a 3i) great, and hitting the 7, 8, 9 fat or flipping them.

I really think it's my swing (imagine that). :)

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I'm hitting my new mp-30s better than my nikes, which I hit very good. This makes me scared to TLT them, which means I will need to reshaft the nikes and then TLT those. :D

OP
SilverUberXeno

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Dave.,

I feel weird with a neutral grip, as if I won't square the clubface through impact. The ball most often starts right where I want it to, but then hooks viciously, sometimes across the entire fairway. It's gotta be a face-angle-at-impact thing. Even when I set up neutral, it seems like my hand worked around into a too-strong position in the swing somehow.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Right, so its not TLT, its a strong grip:) Weakening your grip is one of the hardest things to do, it feels wierd and takes time

OP
SilverUberXeno

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
If only I was born limp wristed like yourself, oh great one...

Also dave, tell me about your right elbow. I've gotten into the habit of locking it down almost on the front side of my ribs, which I think really restricts rotation. I don't let it fold back behind me. What do yo think of this?

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
JArmour, there is no such thing as 'not getting properly fitted' and then still thginking you had TLT. Its not a 'roundabout thing', you are either fit or you aren't, and you weren't. Its like driving a Hyundai Coupe and saying its near enough a Ferarri.

I'm not sure what you'd call it then. I answered all of the questions Lyle sent me and with the specs he came back with just havn't been as good as my other irons.

I'm not bashing this fitting method at all as it obviously has worked for many people on this board.

I've contacted a TLT fitter in the area and after 3 emails he has completely stopped emailing me. I asked what days he had available for a fitting and then nothing. I have a feeling he wanted to build a new set for me. All I wanted was a fitting and to bend the lie angles of the irons I have already built. If I needed new shafts or extensions that would have been fine also. I just wanted to use what I have already to cut the costs.

So I went back to my original set and have been playing much better.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.