• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

TM RBZ stage 2

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
A month or more ago I bought a new TaylorMade RBZ stage 2 9.5º driver with a regular flex shaft. Articles on the web stated the stiff flex shaft was actually in the x-stiff range so opted for the regular flex. Still pretty stout IMHO.

Finally got to try this thing and was rusty to say the least but the last few holes it really started showing promise. I bought it off the rack so no "tuning" on a swing monitor but added a 1/2 degree loft (9-1//2 to 10) and was striping some nice ones down the middle at the end of the round. Distance very similar to Burner 2.0 on a warm day but it was 50º F so I think I'll gain some distance. MUCH more forgiving then the 2.0 Burner though.

And my 30" putter with the fatso grip worked exceedingly well also. The greens were super slow (normally fast) so left some short but I hit it right on the line I picked pretty consistently.

That is all.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Got to play 18 in a strong wind today. This driver is great. I was striping them right down the middle and for the most part was about the same distance as my Burner 2.0 BUT one hole I had that strong wind behind me and striped one down the middle. I couldn't find my ball. I looked farther up the fairway and there it was. 302 measured with the GPS (with the wind behind my back). Sometimes the wind is good I guess. And nututhugame, you can't have those irons back. I was hitting them super good. Had a 41 on the front and a 45 on the (more open and windier) back for a 86. Now I suppose the wheels will fall off but it was great finally getting out to play.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Today I couldn't hit this thing if my life depended on it. Right now it looks like the Burner 2.0 is longer. But I really sucked today so will try again tomorrow.

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
Today I couldn't hit this thing if my life depended on it. Right now it looks like the Burner 2.0 is longer. But I really sucked today so will try again tomorrow.
Dont let a bad round decide what your gonna do, if that was the case we'd all have quit golf right after we started ha

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I paid $300 for it so it's going to get a lot of "chances" before I give up on it. Got all summer.

But I put the Burner 2.0 in the bag "just in case".......

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Right now those are the only clubs working for me. I'm really happy with them.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Today was better. 45. Greens were tough to putt on but hit the RZB good again.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Okay, I did a thorough comparison of the RBZ stage 2 driver vs. my Burner 2.0 and find no difference in distance whatsoever. The RBZ stage 2 is slightly easier to keep in the fairway so I guess is worth the purchase.

It appears the real "hot" drivers out this year in the $300 range are the Callaway X-Hot and the Wilson D-100 based on Edwin Watt's robot testing results. The RBZ stage 2 didn't do nearly as well nor did any of the big dollar drivers such as the R1 and Callaway RAZR Fit Extreme. Actually last year's RBZ driver did better in the tests then the new stage 2.

http://www.edwinwattsgolf.com/ARC.aspx

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
There IS a difference! After fixing all my spring swing flaws I'm now STRIPING the RBZ stage 2. Made a huge difference in my score being in the fairway all the time (41 and 44 for a 85).

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
This thing is still doing the job for me. I've never been in the fairway this often before. And it appears as long as my Burner 2.0.

sol adoni

Banned
Banned
May 20, 2013
SFL
Country
ARC tests confirms reason I went to Titleist D3, most accurate on mishits, yet they show no accuracy tests for sweet spots, it's probably best there too. I wanted to sacrifice some distance for a club I can work and that would be ok on minor mishits. So looks like the D3 was the right choice. I think it's accuracy is more to a better stock shaft IMO. The smaller head is easier to work too. The blue shafts they use are pretty solid for OEM shafts. But the ARC tests are cool, you can zone in on what you want, distance or accuracy or ball speed etc.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.