• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

To Play or Not...

Fairway_CY

Mar 25, 2008
I'm kind of stuck on making a decision about the county tournament out here. As you can probably tell by my handicap (see below)... I'm not one who gets to play often. A few years back, I played maybe 15 times in a season, but since then... it's been 5 to 7 times a season, at most.

When I was playing more often a few years back, I played in quite a few tournaments. Most were using your handicap and figuring out the net score to find the winners... and though I came close a few times (top 10 finishes, etc)... I never did find a way to win.

Our county tournament is 2 weeks from today. I've got to register by next Thursday, but I'm torn. It's a different format, using flights. There are 4 flights:

Championship (0 - 5.9 Handicap)
A Flight (6.0 - 9.9 Handicap)
B Flight (10.0 - 15.9 Handicap)
C Flight (16.0 & Above Handicap)

I've only got to play ONE round so far this year, and although it wasn't horrible (as compared to rounds in the past)... it was still a 109 on a not-so-tough course.

I know I can shoot in the 98-102 range... probably lower if I don't hit crap off the tee... but I don't know what to expect from others.

I'll be in the C Flight, which I'm assuming will have scores ranging from 84 on up to probably 110. Only the Top 16 from Day 1 move on to Day 2. The field is limited to 92 entries, and I'm assuming of those entries... it should be fairly evenly split, giving us about 25 in C Flight.

The cost of the tournament is actually less than the cost of a single round at the course and INCLUDES the greens fees, cart and lunch... but I don't want to come in last in my flight.

Curious as to what you guys think. Should I give it a shot and hope I play to my potential that first day (and hopefully the second day)... or should I sit it out this year and hope I have time to improve before next year?

In the end, I'm pretty sure I'm going to play... but maybe some encouragement (or otherwise) would help make my decision.

Thanks...

CY

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
It's up to you but I'd say go for it. Sounds like fun if you don't put too high of expectations on yourself. From what I've seen of "16 handicaps", someone will probably shoot 89-91 no doubt. You'd have a much better chance, obviously, if you could use your full handicap.

Do you have any friends that will be playing in it? I'd just look at it more like a fun outing than a real competition and go enjoy the day.

OP
F

Fairway_CY

Mar 25, 2008
Thanks guys. I just don't want to embarrass myself out there... and knowing I can get paired with someone with a 16 handicap who is theoretically 10 strokes better than me... I don't want to feel like I'm holding anybody up.

If I shoot an even 100 on the first course, I'd be happy. I just don't know what to expect from those on the lower end of that handicap cut-off.

Oh, and no... I don't know anybody else who will be playing in it. Typically, when I play, it's as a single who gets paired with others. That's the main reason I play so infrequently... there are very few people I know who play and enjoy the game.

Thanks again!

CY

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
I got a uncle that has never broke 100, and probably wont...but he loves to play and plays all the time.......he'll play in a tournament in a heartbeat, he just enjoys it.....thats what you have to do...GO FOR IT!

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
United States United States
If you Dont play...you will hear stories how great it was, what with the 20yr old female streaker and all.

GOOOO !

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I would go for it. Why not.

I would also guess that there is nothing that says you need to hand in a scorecard if you do horrible. Not unheard of for even Professionals to do this.

You could ask. Just enjoy the competition, and the day.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I've played in lots of flighted tourneys.

You're either gonna lose because some guy plays the round of his life, or you're gonna lose because 90% of the field sandbagged.

You're not gonna win. :)

On the other hand, I have come in last in my flight many times, and I was only pissed off about it just long enough to drink a cold beer.

Go have fun and don't worry about your score.

OP
F

Fairway_CY

Mar 25, 2008
Good advice from everybody. Very much appreciated.

I'm not so much worried that I won't win... I don't expect to. I was more worried that being over 10 shots higher than the lowest handicap in the flight might make me an easy target for ridicule.

After reading your posts... it's an easy decision. If nothing else, I gain the experience and I can use that going forward.

CY

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Nah, don't play. Stay home & sulk & wonder about the good time you missed out on:D

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I've played in lots of flighted tourneys.

You're either gonna lose because some guy plays the round of his life, or you're gonna lose because 90% of the field sandbagged.

You're not gonna win. :)

On the other hand, I have come in last in my flight many times, and I was only pissed off about it just long enough to drink a cold beer.

Go have fun and don't worry about your score.

Lol. Sounds like the 16 caps at my club. They shoot GD 77 when there is $$ on the line.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.