• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Today was my last round of golf

Status
Not open for further replies.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I would talk to the game wardens if they admitted shooting the geese. The bag limit of two per day was slightly exceeded and did they even have a license with a federal migratory bird stamp? Doubtful. This is a few thousand dollars in fines waiting to be administered.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I would talk to the game wardens if they admitted shooting the geese. The bag limit of two per day was slightly exceeded and did they even have a license with a federal migratory bird stamp? Doubtful. This is a few thousand dollars in fines waiting to be administered.

I agree...

atlgolfer

Aug 9, 2006
Siberian,

I'm sorry to hear what has happened at your club. I have never seen that. I thought the golf courses were there so we can escape the urban life to enjoy some fresh air and the nature, well, I guess the nature part is out at this course.
If you ever feel like hitting the course again, you're more than welcome to play at one of my courses.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I just got off the phone with Goshen and they did shoot the geese.

Now I have to find a new place to play.
I salute you!!! I have always stated that hate the creatures on the course, but not so much that I would intentionally do them harm outside of maybe mentally terrorizing them for a brief moment. The course should be shut down for their actions and certainly do not deserve your patronage. Living in the area that I do, this would be like the course killing off the deer for leaving hoof marks on the greens. As much as I like the course, and as much as I like the taste of venison, it is a part of golf for me and being at one with nature.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
You know, an anonymous call to your local media could really stir things up over this...I can't believe it's legal no matter where you live.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
This course has lots of deer as well, so unafraid that they run across the fairway in broad daylight.

I'm sure they felt they had good reason for killing the geese, but it made me very sad. They probably got DNR approval, as they are not stupid. So I did the only thing I felt I could do in good conscience.

There are lots of other nice courses around here I can play, including several Donald Ross designs from the early 1900s.

Thanks, everyone. Atlgolfer, we have to set up another outing sometime, with you, me, DouginGA, and Chollyred.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I'm not an animal activist by any means.

I eat meat nearly every day. The only reason I don't hunt is that I don't like the taste of wild game. My dad raised cattle so I've been to slaughter houses and stopped for a burger on the way home.

But, I agree with you on this one doc. It's rediculous to think it's ok to shoot these birds because they had to nerve to land on their golf course. You should write a letter to the editor of your local paper as well. You might stir up a little publicity for these guys.

Sorry you have to find a new course. That one sounded like a good one.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
So disappointing that they would do that, regardless. I find it hard to believe there was no other solution that would have been more humane.

On the note of knowing what your killing. IN 6th grade we had to take care of chickens, and come spring, kill them, clean them, and the whole bit. I still love my chicken, but I at least appreciate what it is.

Jun 24, 2006
There are lots of other nice courses around here I can play, including several Donald Ross designs from the early 1900s.

I belong to a Donald Ross course opend in 1932. It's pretty tickey.

terrible thing they did to the geese.

My course has 5 fox that live around there and are always roaming fairways and greens. They like to walk down to the resort the course is owend by and grab a few of the hundreds of wild rabbits. The government tried to catch them but they gave up. They dont bother anyone, and are nice to see so we just decided to leave them alone.

I'd be upset if i came across 5 dead fox on my course to.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Hmmm.....I may regret this later but I think is was a good thing.

Canada Geese are considered vermin here and yet there is no way to eradicate them without the feel good element spoiling the fun.

There are thousands of them here, they shit on everything, they chase you if you object and if it were up to me I'd have open season on them for 50 weeks out of the year.

Swans....same thing. :hunter::hunter::hunter::hunter::hunter::hunter:

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
But just leave them in the pond to decay?

Even you have better taste than that Sling.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Just act like parents.

"What happened to all the geese?"
"They flew to a nice farm where they can fly and play and have fun"

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
True, they will all just float to the side, bloat up, pop and stink to high hell. I actually don't mind the little buggers. I like it when the males get all worked up, start the neck bob followed by the hiss with the red tongue hanging out. Cracks me up... I say, "I don't want nothin to do with your bitches, calm down.".

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
True, they will all just float to the side, bloat up, pop and stink to high hell. I actually don't mind the little buggers. I like it when the males get all worked up, start the neck bob followed by the hiss with the red tongue hanging out. Cracks me up... I say, "I don't want nothin to do with your bitches, calm down.".

Maybe they want some booty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.