• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Today was my last round of golf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Hmmm.....I may regret this later but I think is was a good thing.

Canada Geese are considered vermin here and yet there is no way to eradicate them without the feel good element spoiling the fun.

There are thousands of them here, they shit on everything, they chase you if you object and if it were up to me I'd have open season on them for 50 weeks out of the year.

Swans....same thing. :hunter::hunter::hunter::hunter::hunter::hunter:
As you can probably tell, I am torn on this one. I think the only thing that seperates me from feeling the same way as you is that they did not seem open about the issue, and I seriously doubt that they were within the legal rights to do what they did. Then again, I could be wrong on both counts since I am just basing it on what Doc mentioned, and my own assumptions. As one who has my share of firearms, the thought of a golf super using even a pellet gun in a fairly populated and public place populated by not only golfers but the general public just doesn't strike me as legal, and even somewhat irresponsible.

That along with the fact that they could have fed quite a few people had they used a better method of planning.

I guess it is just a matter of no matter how much I hate the winged rats, it has always just been a part of playing the game on a course with water. That and the fact that I seriously doubt this will fix the problem, they will simply have other tenants that do not pay rent in the following weeks. I hate to think what their next step will be and the impact it will have on the local eco system.

I think perhaps they should rethink the management of the course, as opposed to trying to take the easy way out. Our home course is one of the few that has no geese, as there is very little water that they could populate around, and even the one lake which is only in play on a bad shot is not populated with geese because there is really no easy access transisition from water to land and is fairly small. Yet it still one of the best courses I play, and no geese may be part of that equation. There is alot of water, and bigger lakes that they chose not to bring into play on the course, or otherwise took out of play over the course of the last 10 years.

gold nugget

Sep 1, 2006
What has happened to our country

For those of you who seem so upset over an obvious case of bird deviancy (ie wild game that have gotten so lazy and obstinate that they have lost their natural fear of man and are too lazy to migrate. I think it is time to take a reality check.
Let's see there are those who want to throw everybody in jail and throw the keys away for such a heinous crime. I smell border line communism here.

For those of you concerned about the safety of firing a pellet gun in such an area. You probably have a ring or two in your ear- or your son does. No wonder we're on the verge of losing this war. Take all the guns away! Make love not war. Peace love and Bobby Sherman baby.

For those of you upset over the audacity of someone taking charge to control a situation (I will have to agree that the birds should have been eaten- but then there is tremendous liability on the part of the golf course if anyone were to get sick from the birds ie Lawyers.) Yes the birds should have been immediately disposed of as well. But get over it and start putting your energies into solving the real problems in the world instead of whining about your silly ass golf course supt 's lack of manners. We’re just damn lucky we have the freedom to get out and play the greatest game in the world.

I’m done. Now you can throw the barbs or maybe have me burned at the stake for not being politically correct.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Let's see there are those who want to throw everybody in jail and throw the keys away for such a heinous crime. I smell border line communism here.

For those of you concerned about the safety of firing a pellet gun in such an area. You probably have a ring or two in your ear- or your son does. No wonder we're on the verge of losing this war. Take all the guns away! Make love not war. Peace love and Bobby Sherman baby.

For those of you upset over the audacity of someone taking charge to control a situation (I will have to agree that the birds should have been eaten- but then there is tremendous liability on the part of the golf course if anyone were to get sick from the birds ie Lawyers.) Yes the birds should have been immediately disposed of as well. But get over it and start putting your energies into solving the real problems in the world instead of whining about your silly ass golf course supt 's lack of manners. We’re just damn lucky we have the freedom to get out and play the greatest game in the world.

I’m done. Now you can throw the barbs or maybe have me burned at the stake for not being politically correct.
Well first off, I grew up in a military background and the concept of getting my ear pierced or a tattoo is something I never considered in 41 years. I have been married 19 of those years, and although I have no children, I have no problem mocking other children who consider doing such.

Further had you spent enough time in this forum to read the thread about gun control, you would find that your comments are so far from the truth that you would feel rather idiotic even making the comments in the first place. Actually not wanting to get back to that for obvious reasons I will simply say that you fit in line directly with alot of my reasoning in that thread of people who should not be permitted to operate a firearm, and make it difficult for the people who do so responsibly.

Lastly, what the feck are you talking about regarding communism. It is a matter of following the laws, which are there to protect the citizens in the United States. Are you of the opinion that a democracy is one of no laws to follow, at the risk of being communist?? Look in the dictionary some day, then maybe we can talk about not only your lack of understanding for being a responsible citizen, but goverment as well. You seem further confused that in you last sentence you are quoting the laws about people becoming sick while eating the birds. Get a fricken clue and stop babbling. Realize there is a difference between taking matters into your own hands in a responsible manner, and doing it above the laws that are there to protect not only the people but the eco system in the United States. They took the laws into their own hands and did so in a foolish manner for the reasons I mentioned in my prior post. Put them on a pedistal if you wish, but don't be surprised when someone picks them off and they come plummiting down.

edit 1 - Actually, it would appear from you post you have confused Democracy with Anarchy. This leaves me of the impression I am either dealing with some radical, or some 14 year old that is trying to quote fancy terms in an attempt to show his vast knowledge of the the world.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. "
Mark Twain

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I smell border line communism here.

This is a golden nugget, Gold Nugget! I smell something too....

SDVM, what's the full story here? Have you gotten to the bottom of it yet? It's almost at Hercule Poirot proportions. "Who or what killed ze geese?" I need a sense of closure here.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
IG, they shot them. That's what they told me when I called the pro shop.

Now, despite Goldnugget calling me a communist, I'll say that if they got DNR approval, which they probably did, then they had every right to shoot them. And the geese that will fly in to replace them, And the next. And the next............as long as that 15 acre lake is there, it's a goose magnet.

But, I have the right to choose to spend my money somewhere more animal friendly.

If you kill it, you eat it. I was told that when I was a kid, armed with my first .22 Savage rifle.

Without some wild animals, this will be a worse world than it already is. I don't believe that just because I can't personaly feed every hungry child in the 3rd World, that I should not support Defenders of Wildlife.

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
Many state wildlife departments will allow businesses (usually farmers) to destroy wildlife that is causing damage. It's quite possible that the course obtained permission to destroy the geese. No big deal - golf course geese are rapidly approaching the status of downtown pigeons. Leaving them belly up in a water hazard is a bit dumb though.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
If anyone shoots a turkey, I'm interested. OK?

pm me.
(this offer excludes Teh Master - King of the Welch).

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
If anyone shoots a turkey, I'm interested. OK?

pm me.
(this offer excludes Teh Master - King of the Welch).

I'll be doing a couple of cajun deep fried turkeys next month. Find an excuse to come over and we can eat good and play some golf. :)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
But, I have the right to choose to spend my money somewhere more animal friendly.

Yep, you do. And I applaud you for making a stand here. This type of action wouldn't happen around here, that's forsure.

However, the idea that our encroachment into wild animal's territory through urban sprawl is not our fault, it's the animals, is wide spread. Bear attacks, coyotes taking small dogs, ect. If we plan to coexist, we have to set aside some areas for cohabitation.

From my perspective, "knee deep" in Canadian geese on every golf course, it ain't gonna happen.

Shooting them? Nope. Alternative methods? Sure, we use lots of them successfully. In a province that houses nearly 3.8 million snow geese and nearly that many Canadian geese as well, we do pretty well at keeping the courses clean of the so called "Flying Mice".

R35

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Many state wildlife departments will allow businesses (usually farmers) to destroy wildlife that is causing damage. It's quite possible that the course obtained permission to destroy the geese. No big deal - golf course geese are rapidly approaching the status of downtown pigeons. Leaving them belly up in a water hazard is a bit dumb though.

While this may be true in other states, it is not true here in VT unfortunately. My in-laws own a "picturesqe" (meaning tourist trap
icon12.gif
) sugar house and gift shop on a beautiful little lake here in VT. They have nice picnic tables and chairs out by the lake to sit and enjoy their maple products. They had a flock of geese take up residence this summer on the lake and start making a HUGE mess of the property. They called in the game wardens and were told that since Geese are protected under the migratory birds act they could do nothing to get rid of them. They were also told that if they killed any of the birds and they found out about it, there would be a $250 fine for EACH bird. It would have been almost $4000 to kill (i mean get rid of) these birds. In the end they just let them migrate but they LOST alot of business because these friggin birds made a mess of everything and would not leave patrons alone....:hunter:

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
For those of you who seem so upset over an obvious case of bird deviancy (ie wild game that have gotten so lazy and obstinate that they have lost their natural fear of man and are too lazy to migrate. I think it is time to take a reality check.

Oh...my...god...

I'd post, but I swear you aren't worth my time.

gold nugget

Sep 1, 2006
...and the crowd was asked by the Pilot "which of the two do you want me to release to you, Barabbas, the murderer, or Christ? " And the crowd responded "release Barrabas" And Pilot said to them "What then shall I do with Christ?" And they responded "Let him be crucified!"

"let he who has not sinned, throw the first stone"

Oh, but it feels so good to judge others for their perceived shortcomings, doesn't it?
I suggest those of you who appear to be annoyed by my comments be a bit careful, as the more angered you become, the more you will find yourself thinking about my comments. This is not a healthy cycle. Perhaps we should agree to disagree without adding malice into the equation.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I suggest those of you who appear to be annoyed by my comments be a bit careful, as the more angered you become, the more you will find yourself thinking about my comments. This is not a healthy cycle. Perhaps we should agree to disagree without adding malice into the equation.
Personally I am not angered by your comments, more simply annoyed and confused at their contradictions. This is simply because you are the one making judgements and assumptions about the nature of my comments for which I find the farthest from the truth. Had you taken more time to understand the nature of the people for whom the comments are directed, which is in fact common knowledge on this forum, you would likely know this part. I find it relatively hard to give further thought to your comments for this reason. Perhaps you are the one that is overestmating the impact of your comments, or what I simply view as blanket statements with no merit.

What happened to your vast knowledge of Government, it seems apparent you are now attempting to transgress towards religion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

🔥 Latest posts