• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Too quick of a back-swing

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
United States United States
was forcing me to go over-the-top. My wife made a video of my swing a few days back. I was hitting fairly good shots and was therefore sickened by what I saw. When I reached the top of the back-swing, my hands and the club sort of jumped up before my hips could initiate the down-swing. The race was on to see if I could get the clubhead on the ball square. I managed to win that race and did so fairly smoothly, but you would never have guessed that looking at the video moving slowly. And the angle made by the left arm and shaft was lost almost from the get-go in pretty much a casting motion.

Just slowing down the back-swing has stopped this spastic move at the top. I was so quick that I had coiled up so tightly that everything just sprang out crazy rather than my being in control. I do not want a definite pause at the top, but I do want to complete my back-swing before starting the down-swing. I am not into "cracking the whip" to get a little extra yardage. Slowing down has the transition happening just about right.

I thanked my wife for her help, and she seems to be taking an interest in my progress. Watching the video, I had said that it looked like I was bent over a little. Today, she asked if my clubs might be a little short, and I answered, "I don't think so." What a fool! I should have said that they probably were and that I had better go demo some new irons. So it is that life is like golf. You have to think. You have to ready when opportunity knocks on your door.

Best of luck to all with their games. Sincerely, Cypressperch

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
was forcing me to go over-the-top. My wife made a video of my swing a few days back. I was hitting fairly good shots and was therefore sickened by what I saw. When I reached the top of the back-swing, my hands and the club sort of jumped up before my hips could initiate the down-swing. The race was on to see if I could get the clubhead on the ball square. I managed to win that race and did so fairly smoothly, but you would never have guessed that looking at the video moving slowly. And the angle made by the left arm and shaft was lost almost from the get-go in pretty much a casting motion.

Just slowing down the back-swing has stopped this spastic move at the top. I was so quick that I had coiled up so tightly that everything just sprang out crazy rather than my being in control. I do not want a definite pause at the top, but I do want to complete my back-swing before starting the down-swing. I am not into "cracking the whip" to get a little extra yardage. Slowing down has the transition happening just about right.

I thanked my wife for her help, and she seems to be taking an interest in my progress. Watching the video, I had said that it looked like I was bent over a little. Today, she asked if my clubs might be a little short, and I answered, "I don't think so." What a fool! I should have said that they probably were and that I had better go demo some new irons. So it is that life is like golf. You have to think. You have to ready when opportunity knocks on your door.

Best of luck to all with their games. Sincerely, Cypressperch

That's really cool, cool wife too, I have the problem of getting to far inside on my backswing causing me to come over the top...i still have that issue but have slowly been working it out...

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
This is my biggest problem in my full swing component of my game...I fight it hard...

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Maybe you are over analysing.Just work on timing,and tempo.Many players swing quickly,Nick Price is an example,this in itself shouldn't cause a cast.Some players use a great tip.Left heel going down starts the downswing,then hips,then shoulders,then arms,then hands,then................club.Try it:)

sidvicious

Jul 8, 2005
i've studied this somewhat.

it seems to me that the takeaway and backswing speed is the dominant factor in how the club is loaded.

i load mine with a fairly slow and controlled takeaway, and i have a pause at the top, ever so slightly, much like loading a flyrod prior to the forward cast.

i notice that i keep my concentration [EYE's on the goddamn ball] much better if i consciously keep my backswing fairly slow and rythmic.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Today, she asked if my clubs might be a little short, and I answered, "I don't think so." What a fool! I should have said that they probably were and that I had better go demo some new irons.

There's still hope. The next time you're out with your wife, just miss the ball completely a few times. Look her square in the eye and tell her that, as hard as it is to admit it, she's probably right about the clubs being too short.
icon12.gif

HighTopFade

Sep 1, 2006
My problem as well. Swing quick and hard. If I make an attempt to go slower, I lose all sense of timing. At the range, I feel like I'm taking control of the matter. When I get to the course and take a few bad shots, then I'm back to my old tricks again. Sucks.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Most of you have seen my backswing, ridiculously too much. I am working on taking the club back slower and a smooth transition... then letting all hell break loose.
icon10.gif
I did manage to hit 3 fairways in a row very deep (for me at least) last round by bringing the driver head back slow and on plane. I'll keep at it and catch it on video again in a few weeks. It's amazing how much power can be acheived by what seems to be a slowing down... I guess it is more about releasing that power at the correct time. At the Callaway demo the guy said I was wasting a lot at the top and easily could add 10yds. by getting it closer to correct. I need a few good lessons. lol.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
There's still hope. The next time you're out with your wife, just miss the ball completely a few times. Look her square in the eye and tell her that, as hard as it is to admit it, she's probably right about the clubs being too short.
icon12.gif

Brilliant! And I thought all was lost, Cypress, jump on this idea!

gold nugget

Sep 1, 2006
Slower backswing,better flexibility

I find that most golfers are physically unable to complete their backswing due to flexibility restrictions. This can result in a short quick swing in spite of the our best will power.
Reverse psychology might be one remedy. Instead of cursing the "fast back aswing", how about focusing on a good rotation of the upper body.

Proper stretching exercises is an artform in itself. Sit on an exercise ball, if avaiable,with both feet firmly planted on the ground. With a comfotable weight between hands,slowly rotate to the right as far as possible and hold that position. Then see if you can gently get another inch or two. Hold it. Backswing completed. Repeat this rotation to the left. Follow through completed. Find a mirror or pick an exact object point on the wall to judge improvement in flexibility over time

This stretching sensation will eventually be incorporated into your swing. No stretching sensation, no bueno. Your swing will slow down when your focus is on the stretching aspect. Don't get so focused that you forget to get back on your left side for the downswing and followthrough. Everything in moderation.

G.N.

🔥 Latest posts