• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Took a lesson today ..

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
...... what a friggen waste of my time and money.

A couple of rounds ago I started pulling the ball - a bunch. I went to the driving range to try to work it out and ended up grooving the pull. The next couple of rounds were pretty ugly - a lot of left. The guys I play with were no help. They said my swing looked like it's normal ugly self.

Today I got a lesson from an ass't at a local course. Some guy that looks like he just started shaving a couple of weeks ago. I told him what my problem was and asked him to help me fix it. Instead of trying to help me fix a problem he spent a half hour trying to get me to swing like a 20 year old. New grip, new stance, new pre shot, everything. That just ain't gonna' happen. I just wanted to fix a pull problem, not start from scratch.

After I left the course I decided to stop at the range again to try to work things out. There's an old fart there that sometimes gives lessons (cheap). I asked him for help, he watched me hit 3-4 balls, said you're swinging to f**kin' fast. Your hands are way ahead of your a** and he walked off. By the time I got half way through the bucket I had mellowed out my swing and quit yanking the ball.

The first guy charged $40, the second guy was free. Next stop at the range will include a bottle of the guy's favorite.

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
hahahah, glad to hear that you're hitting the ball straight.

Regarding the first lesson, that's the worst. You go to someone to check up on a problem and they end up trying to rehaul the entire swing.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Sounds like the 1st kid was trying to do way too much at once, not what you were looking for. I'm the same way when it comes to swing advice, lessons, fixes. Needs to be simple. I've gotten my best advice from the older guys I play with over at Triggs. It's as simple as stuff like "step back, you're too close to the ball" That ends up translating into hitting from the inside, not coming OTT, extending my arms and low and behold, crushing drives up the middle again.

Fitzpatrick

Good Walk Spoiler
Supporting Member
Dec 19, 2006
I had a lesson that started like that, and I told the guy: "Listen, I don't get to play enough or practice enough to start all over again. I work for a living. Help me work out the kinks with the swing I have." After all, I'm the one paying for the lesson, I have the right to tell the guy "no" if I think he's taking me in a direction that I don't think or know won't go well. To be fair, I normally give the guy the benefit of the doubt; after all, he knows more about the swing than I do.

Most of my lessons have been just fine, though. Usually, the pro watches me hit a few shots, offers a piece of advice (typically just a short expression, i.e. keep your thumbs under the shaft at the top, weight on the insides of your feet, et cetera).

I'm glad your second "lesson" helped out more than the one you paid for.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
I have taken 3 lessons from the same pro, 1 last year 2 this summer. The one this spring I was disappointed because he gave me the same advice as last year..I thought I got screwed, but he was right I started the year by swinging too fast..backswing...got that straightened out. I was going to go to a different pro for the 1 a month ago but thought I'll give this guy
another chance...It went very well, I'm pleased ,but I did need all the help I could get. I thinks it helps to have someone else look at your swing.

Good luck

OP
W

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
I agree about the value of lessons. I was just disappointed that this guy didn't listen to what I wanted and was paying for. I had a problem I needed help with and this guy started out by trying to change my pre shot routine.

All I wanted to do was figure out why I was pulling the ball.

BTW - Philly eagle - you lost me with the band aid thing.

DVS

Aug 15, 2007
At one point, I didn't really have the best "normal swing"...but what ever I had, I could manage with it since it was pretty consistent. Then I got a golf lesson as a gift.

So go meet this older S. African gentleman who has been teaching for 30 years or so.

He looks at my shots and goes: "well, you don't need any lessons, you seem to be doing fine".

great news i thought!

But then he goes: "everything is fine expect you take it back too much on the inside and then artificially compensate later on in your swing to get back on pane. It works now, but over the long run, you won't be consistent and wont get much distance".

He then proceeded to try to solve my problem.

Well after the lesson, my new swing LOOKS quite nice, but I no longer could hit it straight and consistent as before! :( I spent the rest of the season in limbo between my old swing and what he "fixed" for me.

Took me a long time to finally make sense of it all. I guess in the long run he was right, but it just goes to show that sometimes lessons can have a negative affect on your game if you are just a weekend warrior.

-DVS

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
I took two lessons this summer.

One with my shorter irons 7-PW, plus chipping and putting. And one with my driver.

The driver lesson screwed me up. Mainly because with the new swing he taught me, increased my SS, so when I was playing a regular flex driver, they were all over the place. Switched to a stiff, low launch head, and it's amazing now.

He started me on a whole new swing, but at my age, I was okay with that. I can understand you older guys not wanting a brand new swing.

My chipping and putting increased dramatically though. Yesterday I was seeing how consistant I could chip and one putt, from off the green. I can usually do it 3 times out of 5. Not very consistant, but still a heck of a lot better.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
! :( I spent the rest of the season in limbo between my old swing and what he "fixed" for me. DVS

Thats how this year started out until I pushed forward using his advice.

My backswing was too fast..Eraser posted that it was a 3 to 1 ratio even though it may look even and that got me really putting everythig together.
The biggest lesson this year, It takes time and practice.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I take a lesson every once in awhile when I have a problem. My pro is one of the best golfers in southeastern Wisconsin. Charges $30 for a half hour and usually fixes your problem in five minutes. Doesn't try to change your swing unless it's really flawed. :) Said mine wasn't bad at all. :)

🔥 Latest posts