• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

took it to the range today

lamebums

300 yards into the woods.
Jul 4, 2007
Read an old tip in Golf Magazine from last June titled "thumb your way to extra yards". So, I'd tried it - or something like it, sort of. My old grip had my left thumb pulled in, with the right one extended down the grip. So I reversed them - extended the left one and wrapped the right one around the grip. I really felt like I was about to lose the club, but man, did that ball fly a mile. I began immediately putting drives in the woods at the far end of the range (about 290 yards), and wedges went 135-140, easily.

Two problems, though - with a lot of my irons, I've lost any semblance of consistency. I began hitting a lot of thins and pulls, more so at first, fewer as I went through the buckets of balls, and the reverse problem I'd been struggling with all year - I'd always hit the ball way the hell off the toe, and suddenly I'm hitting it towards the heel, which brought the hosel into play. Not a problem until I pull out the sand wedge, though. $hank, $hank, $hank. :real angry:

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I've always been taught to grip it like you are now. Maybe that's why I shank.. shank... shank... :D

Really I think it's just a new and strange feeling that you'll get used to and all will be well in golfland. :)

OP
lamebums

lamebums

Jul 4, 2007
I've always been taught to grip it like you are now. Maybe that's why I shank.. shank... shank... :D

Really I think it's just a new and strange feeling that you'll get used to and all will be well in golfland. :)

Also at Dick's Sporting Goods, I fell in love with the TaylorMade Burner TP. Finally I know what to get for Christmas. :laugh:

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
They carry the TP at Dick's? I haven't seen a tour anything in there other than FT-3's. Interesting..

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
They carry the TP at Dick's? I haven't seen a tour anything in there other than FT-3's. Interesting..
I just grabbed a used R5 TP with a Daimana 83s R-flex Blueboard to demo. Curious to see what happens. I get a week to demo it. Not sure I'm going to like a 77g shaft, but we'll see.

I've been back with my R7 425 (R-flex RE*AX shaft) and it's been good, but I feel like I'm overpowering that shaft a bit.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Read an old tip in Golf Magazine from last June titled "thumb your way to extra yards". So, I'd tried it - or something like it, sort of. My old grip had my left thumb pulled in, with the right one extended down the grip. So I reversed them - extended the left one and wrapped the right one around the grip. I really felt like I was about to lose the club, but man, did that ball fly a mile. I began immediately putting drives in the woods at the far end of the range (about 290 yards), and wedges went 135-140, easily.

Two problems, though - with a lot of my irons, I've lost any semblance of consistency. I began hitting a lot of thins and pulls, more so at first, fewer as I went through the buckets of balls, and the reverse problem I'd been struggling with all year - I'd always hit the ball way the hell off the toe, and suddenly I'm hitting it towards the heel, which brought the hosel into play. Not a problem until I pull out the sand wedge, though. $hank, $hank, $hank. :real angry:

My right hand is barely on the club, maybe my middle finger and the lower pad of my thumb and that's it.

OP
lamebums

lamebums

Jul 4, 2007

They certainly did. I'm not really amp'd about the RE-AX X-stiff shaft (I'd probably have to pull it and replace it with a stiff) and the ball came out pretty low, and it was the loudest driver I'd ever hit, but man did it feel good when I made contact.

I also found out that by changing my grip I swing much closer to the ground through impact. I found out that embarrassingly when I hit a complete whiff - I took out the tee and the ball just dropped the two inches to the ground, staring at me as if I were a big dog but hitting like a little puppy. :laugh:

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.