• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Took my wife golfing for the first time!

jchase

Sep 23, 2008
Well took the wife out to a local par 3 and she said she had a really fun time!!! WOO HOO it is a pretty difficult par 3 there was 3 holes over 200 yards. But she whiffed and mis hit a bunch of times and when she did hit it she only got worm burners and they would go about 75 yards pretty straight. She said she wanted to go to the driving range to help her out. She ended up using one of my 6 irons cleveland cg red +1/2 stiff and she liked how heavy it was. So i am going to take her to the pro shop and see about getting her set up with some clubs. We are broke right now, but she liked that club. So overall happy with the first trip out and i thnk she is excited about going out again! Thanks for the input you guys gave and looking forward to maybe her liking golf a little more and we would have something we could go outdoors and do together.

Joe

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
Well took the wife out to a local par 3 and she said she had a really fun time!!! WOO HOO it is a pretty difficult par 3 there was 3 holes over 200 yards. But she whiffed and mis hit a bunch of times and when she did hit it she only got worm burners and they would go about 75 yards pretty straight. She said she wanted to go to the driving range to help her out. She ended up using one of my 6 irons cleveland cg red +1/2 stiff and she liked how heavy it was. So i am going to take her to the pro shop and see about getting her set up with some clubs. We are broke right now, but she liked that club. So overall happy with the first trip out and i thnk she is excited about going out again! Thanks for the input you guys gave and looking forward to maybe her liking golf a little more and we would have something we could go outdoors and do together.

Joe

Very cool! Get her a couple of lessons with a pro she likes; that will really help as well. It's a great way to spend time together.

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
Cool!
When my sister got into golf, I was an avid giver of unsolicited advice... she doesnt play much anymore, and its probably my fault even though she has a really nice swing and could play in the 90s if she could chip and putt mediocre. Now that my wife is playing, I am keeping my mouth shot and leaving it to the pro.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
My wife is not interested in taking lessons, she just likes to go with me every once in a while a play a little. She will play the par 3's & the short par 4's. Anything over 320 yds or so she skips & she only plays maybe 4-5 holes out of 9. Sometimes on the par 5's I will just toss a ball down 30- yds from the green & have her play from there.

I wish she would get more interested in the game, but oh well. At least it doesn't cost me anything for her rds. We have something called "The Bucky Book" up here. It costs about $30 but has like 300-400 pages of all sorts of coupons for food, carwashes, golf, you name it. Most of the golfing coupons are 2 for the price of 1.

DH4816

Jun 20, 2008
My wife loves golf even if she isn't great. She drives the ball really well, about 200 yards dead straight every time. If I could play her drives I'd be pretty good, she is never in the woods. I'm trying to get her fit for some ladies clubs this year as she has been using her dad's hand me downs and can't get the ball in the air.

Look around for your wife I'm sure she needs a much softer flex. If she isn't going to play much there are some good deals on box sets and component clubs for women. I know Hireko makes a line and based on some of the reviews of their XP clubs here they might be decent.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
My wife is really interested in playing... just need to see how her knee holds up. She hurt it last year so I'm hoping this year it's healed up enough to play some.

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
My wife realized at a very early stage in our relationship that she had two choices:

1. learn to play golf
2. become a golf widow

She chose option #1, and has gotten pretty good. She is a boomer off of the tee 200+ on a regular basis, and her chipping is getting much better. Her putting needs some work, but she just doesn't want to put in the time on the putting green.

It is great to have a wife that plays golf, it makes it a lot easier to play more often. Pick her up a boxed woman's set, and if she gets serious then you can get her fitted. I picked up a set of wilson's for my wife for like $175, and she loves them.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.