• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Took the Scotty plunge - Cameron owners help me out

Burg

Jul 17, 2007
So I found a great deal on a used Circa '62 Model 2 and pulled the trigger.

I love this putter!

That aside, do I need to do anything to prevent rust, etc.? I have read that I may need to keep this baby dry and also wipe it down with something?

The head is a dark bronze color as shown in this link:

Scotty Cameron - No. 2

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Use shot gun oil or baby oil (works just as well and is much cheaper) Oil it up regular and put some oil inside the headcover. The main thing is if you use it in the rain then whatever you do don't leave the headcover on after your round or it'll rust in a matter of minutes!

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Take a soft cloth and soak in in gun oil, then put the rag in a Ziploc baggy. Just wipe it down regularly and like MG said, don't leave it wet and you'll be fine.

And welcome to the fraternity, the secret hand shake will be emailed to you shortly, ;)

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Just don't forget to sneer at Rife and Odyssey users on your way round too.

Otherwise your careful wiping will be wasted.

OP
B

Burg

Jul 17, 2007

Otherwise your careful wiping will be wasted.

I figured that if I'm going to keep sucking at putting, I might as well look damn good doing it!

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
One thing to remember: when it's raining, try to keep your nostrils level with the ground. This usually causes Scotty owners to get a crick in their neck, but it's better than drowning....;)

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
One thing to remember: when it's raining, try to keep your nostrils level with the ground. This usually causes Scotty owners to get a crick in their neck, but it's better than drowning....;)

lmao. Scotty sCameron owners don't play in the rain, their putters are too delicate. ;)

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
My Circa 62 #3 rusts like mad if it even looks like rain. Then I just use a Brillo pad on it when I get home and some gun oil on it. The rust comes off and it looks like new. :)

EddieC

Feb 1, 2006
The Cameron gun blue finish is weak. I think the OP's putter is the newer charcoal mist which is supposed to be a lot more rust resistant. I currenly use a gun oil called Weapons Shield....it's what I use for my Colt 1911 .45 Like MG said, wipe it down and then squirt some in the headcover so that it gets reapplied during your round.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005

lmao. Scotty sCameron owners don't play in the rain, their putters are too delicate. ;)

Oh my...I didn't know I was at the "Cameron Haters forum" - it's a putter!:)

Milled carbon steel putters (Cameron, Bettinardi, Mills, etc) will rust if left wet. Gun Blue is just black oxide treatment and is essentially a controlled rust. A little oil and you're good to go. Do what MW said, oily rag in a ziploc baggy.

The only problems I've had with carbon putters was fertilizer (ruined the finish on my Palombi), and the day I got rained on in Destin, it was a squall that blew in off the gulf and was raining salty water. Instant rust, but it was surface rust and just wiped off with an oily rag.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.