• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Top courses you want to play...in your area.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Now we all have dream courses we would love to play, although some...like Augusta...will never happen. And we would all love to play Pebble Beach or any course in Scotland. But what are the top courses in your area that you have yet to play, but will eventually?

For myself these are a few of them:

1. Erin Hills
2. The Bull
3. Blackwolf run, both courses
4. Whistling straits, both courses
5. The Bog
6. Sentry world
7. Wild Rock
8. The Brute
9. Lawsonia, Woodlands course
10. The Oaks, real nice course just outside Madison

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Whistling straits, both
Blackwolf river
Erin Hills
The Bull
Sentry World
Greywalls (Marquette Country Club) My uncle is a member here, hoping he will be able to play there with me next year.

DH4816

Jun 20, 2008
With a slightly liberal interpretation of area:

1. Congressional both courses (have a friend that's a member but she doesn't golf much so I haven't gotten her to take me out yet.)
2. Robert Trent Jones
3. Princess Anne CC
4. Richmond CC
5. Baltimore CC
6. Renditions (not private just haven't done it)
7. TPC at Avenel this was just redone and will probably move higher on the list as I hear more good things.

DH

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
Erin Hills, Erin
Whistling Straits, Kohler
The Bull, Kohler
Hawks View, Lake Geneva
Wild Rock, The Dells
Milwaukee Country Club (just found out a friend's son works there, think I could get by as a caddie?), Milwaukee
Brown Deer Park, Milwaukee
Old Hickory, Beaver Dam
The Legends at Brandybrook, Wales (I know a member, next year for sure)
Timber Ridge, Minoqua (muskie fishing and golf combo trip)

All within 2 hours except Minoqua

Kevin

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Now we all have dream courses we would love to play, although some...like Augusta...will never happen. And we would all love to play Pebble Beach or any course in Scotland. But what are the top courses in your area that you have yet to play, but will eventually?

For myself these are a few of them:

1. Erin Hills
2. The Bull
3. Blackwolf run, both courses
4. Whistling straits, both courses
5. The Bog
6. Sentry world
7. Wild Rock
8. The Brute
9. Lawsonia, Woodlands course
10. The Oaks, real nice course just outside Madison

Good list. The Oaks and Sentry World I have done numerous times and are a MUST. Check out SW website as late fall rate was $29 for all day with cart and empty course!!!!!

Would include
1.Troy Burne--Hudson
2.Brown Deer--Milwaukee
3.Madeline Island--Apostles Islands
4. NorthLand Pines --Rhinelander
5. Old Hickory-Beaver Dam
6.House on the Rock--Spring Green
7. St Croix National--Sommerset
8.Brown County-Oneida
9.Oneida CC--Green Bay
10.White Eagle CC--Hudson

Snow

Sep 15, 2008
The courses that I would really like to play in the California area are:

1. Torrey Pines South
2. Riviera Country Club
3. Edgewood Tahoe Golf Course
4. The newer Half Moon Bay Course-Played the old one.
5. Standford University Golf Course-Home Course for Standford GT
6. The Prestige @ PGA West
7. La Costa Resort & Spa
8. Poppy Hills Golf course @ Pebble Beach
9. PGA West Stadium Course
10. The Revamped and upgraded--Harding Park in S.F.

I have been fortunate enough to play,

Pebble Beach,Spyglass Hill,The Olympic Club,Old Harding Park,but this done way back in 70s..

PB and Spyglass were only like 50-75$ back then.

A friends Dad got me on as a guest at The Olympic Club in SF.

It was by far the hardest course I have ever played, even harder for me then PB and Spyglass Hill.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Not too many in Florida that I can think of:

Seminole CC
Old Corkscrew
Reunion (Palmer, Nicklaus, Watson courses)
Windemere and Lake Nona (for the groupie factor as much as for the golf)
Golden Ocala (I've played there a bunch, and it's one of my favorite courses, but now it's private...)

RC52

It's in the hole-ASSCLOWN
Mar 30, 2008
Too many to count in Oregon...I just need a job to pay for it.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Pinehurst, any and all
The Ocean Course, Kiawah Island, SC
Harbor Town, Hilton Head, SC
Cuscowilla, Eatonton, GA
Great Waters, Eatonton, GA
Currahee, Toccoa, GA
Augusta National :D

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
The courses that I would really like to play in the California area are:

1. Torrey Pines South
2. Riviera Country Club
3. Edgewood Tahoe Golf Course
4. The newer Half Moon Bay Course-Played the old one.
5. Standford University Golf Course-Home Course for Standford GT
6. The Prestige @ PGA West
7. La Costa Resort & Spa
8. Poppy Hills Golf course @ Pebble Beach
9. PGA West Stadium Course
10. The Revamped and upgraded--Harding Park in S.F.

I have been fortunate enough to play,

Pebble Beach,Spyglass Hill,The Olympic Club,Old Harding Park,but this done way back in 70s..

PB and Spyglass were only like 50-75$ back then.

A friends Dad got me on as a guest at The Olympic Club in SF.

It was by far the hardest course I have ever played, even harder for me then PB and Spyglass Hill.

What he said!

Snow, I think we're in the same neck of the woods.

I haven't played the Olympic Club so that would be still on my list. One of my buddies here at work is a member so I'm hoping to take this one of the list within the next six months or so.

I have an "in" at Stanford but I just need to nurture that relationship a little more and then hopefully that one can come off the list as well.

As for the HMB course, they just played the LPGA tourney on the Ocean course. That course is pretty crazy. It is definitely links style with hardly any trees to speak of on the course (a few trees are present where the course comes inland towars Hwy 1 but it is only like a couple holes worth). I can't imagine what the rough was like at the LPGA tourney though as I played in the course in the fall a couple of years ago and you had to be standing on top of your ball to even have a chance of finding it; just nasty rough. Get on their email list if you want to save a few bucks, they are always sending out reduced rate tee times via email (really really good rates if you can get a mid-week round in).

MyBluC4

Jan 23, 2008
Living in N.Y., this is a great question for me. Here are my top never played dream tracks in my area:

1. Pine Valley
George Crump, H.S. Colt 1918

2. Shinnecock
William Flynn 1931

3. National Golf Links
Charles McDonald 1911

4. Winged Foot
A.W. Tillinghast 1923

5. Friar's Head
Bill Coore, Ben Crenshaw 2003

Snow

Sep 15, 2008
What he said!

Snow, I think we're in the same neck of the woods.

I haven't played the Olympic Club so that would be still on my list. One of my buddies here at work is a member so I'm hoping to take this one of the list within the next six months or so.

I have an "in" at Stanford but I just need to nurture that relationship a little more and then hopefully that one can come off the list as well.

As for the HMB course, they just played the LPGA tourney on the Ocean course. That course is pretty crazy. It is definitely links style with hardly any trees to speak of on the course (a few trees are present where the course comes inland towars Hwy 1 but it is only like a couple holes worth). I can't imagine what the rough was like at the LPGA tourney though as I played in the course in the fall a couple of years ago and you had to be standing on top of your ball to even have a chance of finding it; just nasty rough. Get on their email list if you want to save a few bucks, they are always sending out reduced rate tee times via email (really really good rates if you can get a mid-week round in).

I was @ the Samsung LPGA at HMB on Sunday.

Followed numerous gals around on holes 1-13.
Then we camped out at 18 to watch the finish.
Looks tuff but the gals were really good.
They played the Mens white tees and I was quite surprised how far they actually hit it..

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
Number one on my list is stupid, but it is the closest 18 hole course to my house (of nine years), and I only recently found out that it's affordable. I've been trying to play there for four months now, but I everytime I try to make a tee time, something goes wrong ( biblical rain, they screwed up the reservation, more rain, sick, etc ). I think I've had seven tee times cancelled there.

1 Willow Crest
2 Cog Hill Dubsdread
3 Chicago Golf Club ( not likely to happen, so I have to play MacDonald's original CGC that is now a 9-hole muni )
4 Arcadia Bluffs ( okay, not really in my neighborhood, but I go over to that part of Michigan all the time, and it's an incredible course )

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.