• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Top-Flite D2 Complete Set. Am I nuts?.

halifax_golfer

Jun 26, 2006
Hey people, I know it sounds crazy but I saw these at sportchek today while I was there.

I'm in the market for a set of irons and some hybrids, but I dont want anything with any offset to them. This set has a offset drivers and woods (which I would be selling). But the irons and hybrids appear very neutral.

I'm a lefty with a generally low ballflight and I play a draw/bananna hook. I shoot low/mid 80's right now, but am improving quickly and hoping to break 80 very shortly.

The price on this set is right ($299 canadian + I get 10% off that for being a member at memramcook course here, so $269 and I would hope to get $100 for the 5w,3w and driver together effectivly making the irons and hybrids end up costing under $200), and they also look really nice to me at address, and come with a nice winn grip. Problem is I cant find any reviews or specs on them anywhere.

If anyone can find anything about these, or if anyone wants to go check them out somewhere for me and verify that the irons/hybrids are neutral, that would be awsome.

Maybe I'm nuts for considering Top-Flite, but I've heard nothing but good things about the new D2 balls, and I might MIGHT be willing to take a chance on these hoping that I can sell the offset woods for about $80-$100.

I dunno, I really need some help with this one. Please I need opinions before I do something nutty!.

P.S. I have no stores here where I can actually try clubs out, and I'm getting a bit obsessed with "offset", so ordering off the net for something is gona be hard to do unless I can get a real good recomendation as most sites dont really specify.

Thanks 1,000,000
Fr. Chris.

RC52

It's in the hole-ASSCLOWN
Mar 30, 2008
Top Flite is owned by Callaway, so i believe it carries a two year warranty. I started out with the Top Flite XL Set, which is the step below that. It was pretty solid for the price, the irons are decent, hybrids are good, but the woods and putter are pretty much worthless. So really if you wanted a bag, irons, and some hybrids you'd be better off buying used from our sponsor Used Golf Clubs, Golf Discount Pre-Owned Equipment - GlobalGolf Sale

Edit: I also found this deal from golfworks, on a set of heads, 3-SW for $40, you would need shafts ($40), and grips ($15) but could be assembled for around $140 total. They also have a minimal amount of offset for a 5 iron at 4.5mm, which is probably something made for a mid-capper. LEFT HAND -CER 851UM 3-PW, GW, SW HEAD SET - The GolfWorks

OP
H

halifax_golfer

Jun 26, 2006
Thanks for the tips RC52,

I dont see where you found the "4.5mm offset" spec on that 5ir, it looks like on the site it says .180", however that number really means nothing to me, as I dont know what the average is, and I dont know what kind of number I should be looking at to get a club that has a very little amount of offset. Why do I even want any offset at all? I've NEVER faded and iron, and believe me I've tried and tried to fade. I can fade or draw my driver, but Irons are always a hook

I'm looking around on Global Golf, but again... Almost none of the clubs say if they are "offset", a few say Moderate or Heavy offset, but thats about it.

I think I'll buy the topflites, and just bring them into my golf course and see what the "Pro" says about them before I hit them... If he says they are crap, I'll just take them back. Please keep the info comming though, I need to know what numbers I should be looking for in a set.

Fr. Chris.

OP
H

halifax_golfer

Jun 26, 2006
The Topflite D2's look almost identicle to the Callaway X-22's, I'm SOOOO tempted!.

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
I've seen the set at Academy Sports before. They looked good. I'm sure they are fine. You dont have to have a $600 set of irons to play well. Clubs are like anything else,...if you like them, and they work for you, what does it matter what they cost?.....

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Hey, I hit my best range shots with the GF's $25 set of Acers.

I just can't bring myself to actually play them. :(

On 2nd thought........I may play her whole set this Saturday in my tourney, including the 14° Mizuno driver. :D At least then, I'll have an excuse for playing badly.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I'm just guessing it may be far fetched to expect to get $100 for the driver and FW's, but I've see stranger things happen. To be honest, I may be surprised to see you get more than half that amount.

OP
H

halifax_golfer

Jun 26, 2006
I'd prolly take $60 for the driver,3wood and 5wood + a SW that I wont use...

Honestly though, I just went and picked the set up an hour ago. They actually scanned up at $249.99can, although the price tag on them still says $399.99, so I ended up paying $256 after tax with my 10%discount.

I'll try playing a few shots with the hybrids with the plastic still on and hopefully I'll like them. I enjoy the WinnG8 Grips, and I like the way the clubs all look at address, they appear to have a bit less offset then my 7yr old Adams tightlies ST iron set (I bought the adams new when I first started golfing about 5seasons ago), and when I bounce a ball on them they seem to feel like they have a very large sweetspot compared to my adams.

Hopefully all goes well, I'll post up a review later.

edit1 - I'm gona try to get our course pro to hit a few with them aswell, as he's a lefty.... I'd be interested to see what he will say about them as he will have had a lot more experience hitting nice clubs then I have ever had. I've only played entrylevel Adams, Ram, and Prince Ripsticks.

Fr. Chris.

OP
H

halifax_golfer

Jun 26, 2006
OK, so I played the D2 irons today, and also got to hit a couple of shots with the hybrids.

I was just out for practice so I wasn't keeping score, however if I had to guess I'd say I woulda shot about 80-83, compared to my best round so far this year was an 85. However I only played 14holes today so I really dont know what I woulda shot.

The irons flew a lot higher then my Adams TightLies ST's, they just seemed to hang in the air sometimes (although it was a bit windy).

I got to try the 5hybrid out from the fairway on the first hole, and it went nice and straight about 180yrds uphill, into the 25-30km/hr wind.

The first shot I took with the irons was a 9ir on a 161yrd downhill par 3. The shot seemed to hang in the air for an extra second or two over my old irons, It still had a 10yrd draw to it (my normal ball flight was about a 20yrd draw with my Adams Irons), anyways That one was a very nice shot I had about 10ft for my bird but ended up with a par.

Next shot I got to try out the PW on a 135yrd par3, it was this shot where I found out that these clubs play at least 1 maybe 1.5clubs longer then my old irons. I hit a real nice shot, which again was much higher then my old ball flight and seemed to just hang in the air, unfortunatly I landed on the back fringe and hopped off. This shot only had about a 5-10yrd draw to it. This PW shot actually carried further then I have ever hit my old 9ir on this hole. However it was hit very high and the wind might have grabbed it a bit more then I'm used too.

Off the next tee (dogleg par4) I got to try the 4hybrid It went very straight about 210yrds and felt pretty good, However.... The club seemed very short (like not tall enough) and I really felt like I had to bend my knee's to stay down on the shot. I got to try the 5hybrid from the rough a few holes later, and topped 2 in a row, then hit a straight one into a greenside bunker. I'm not sure why I was getting the sensation of topping the ball, as I was really trying extra hard to stay down on the ball so like I said the hybrids seemed short. I've never really hit a hybrid before this, so it is very possible I was still swinging them like a fairway wood, I must really really have to hit DOWN on the ball to get it up out of that rough.

I also hit a couple nice shots with the 8ir which both had about a 15yrd draw, one shot was from 160out on a 470yrd par5 and it left me a 20ft putt for eagle which I 3 putted :(. The other shot I got to hit with the 8ir was on a 179yrd par3, I was pin high but had pushed the shot about 35ft to the right (I'm a lefty).

The clubs all felt very nice to hit, definitly a lot nicer feel then my tightlies I was also hitting it higher (extra second or two of hang time) and definitly was getting closer to a few pins (getting closer to a few pins might just be luck though). My draw was still there although less pronounced.

I dunno really what else to say about them. I wish I had some other higher end club to try out to compare, but I really do think that these clubs would make any mid hcp player pretty happy. My course pro seemed to think they had a nice weight to them, and said they look like a very nice club. He did mention that he could get a Wilson DI7 iron set for me for $249+Tax so not to just buy stuff without telling him first, but I think I'm gona keep these guys because I'll have some drivers to sell off, and I might get rid of the 4hybrid and use only the 5hybrid.

I dont think I gave the hybrids there full chance yet, maybe I was trying to sweep them out of the rough a bit too much like a fairway wood, I dunno I'm not that good and have no experience with hybrids, I can see what you guys mean how you really have to hit down with a hybrid for it to be effective, as they seem to short to sweep them off the deck like a wood. My only hope is that I can learn to hit the hybrids out of the rough, as I was really wanting something to help me pull of that 180-200yard shot from the rough.

Sorry for the long review, but I havn't found much info on these clubs on the internet and thought that they deserved a nice full review. I guess I'll probably put a copy of this post up in the reviews section aswell incase someone is looking for it ever.

Fr. Chris.

OP
H

halifax_golfer

Jun 26, 2006
Sold the Driver and woods today for $80can. So the irons, 4h, and5h ended up costing me $170tax in. Still might get rid of the 4h though, as it really goes the same as my 7wood.

OP
H

halifax_golfer

Jun 26, 2006
Little update...

The guy who bought the drivers off me from this set went to the range to try them out (first use), and cracked the driver head right down the middle... I dunno about his golf swing, but I'm giving him a copy of my recipt so he can go back to sportchek for an exchange.. I'm not sure on the quality of the materials in the drivers now, but either way they are still a good deal and I think he will get an exchange covered under warranty.

Prior to breaking the driver head, he said he was hitting the best drives of his life...

Fr. Chris.

W

Wilson00

Hello,

I subscribed to this forum only to answer this particular thread. Just wanted to let you know that I bought a D2 set last week and my driver's head cracked all the way to the shaft after a few shots at the driving range. I called the store where I bought them a few minutes ago and he told me the company knew about this problem. He's gonna order another driver from the company and it should arrive soon. He doesn't even wanted to see the receipt or the club, he just told me to do whatever I wanted with it and come and pick my new one next week... seems suspicious.

I'll extensively try the new one in the coming days and if it cracks too, I'll ask for a refund for the entire set.

Hope that helps, I'll keep you informed

🔥 Latest posts