• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Topspin?! Really Butch?

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States

I guess because he's an expert, he thinks everyone else is stupid. Either that, or the laws of physics cease to exist on his practice green.

Maybe I'm completely ignorant. I mean, who am I to dispute the great Butch Harmon.

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
Sheesh, that is absurd. I wonder if he was trying to put that line of thinking in your head? Like, "okay, let's try and hit an overspin shot here like a forehand in tennis." This maybe could help some visualize it better? Weird though.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Mickelson put forward spin on a ball once. Of course he was actually hitting it backwards which essentially resulted in "top-spin"... but whatevs.

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Mickelson put forward spin on a ball once. Of course he was actually hitting it backwards which essentially resulted in "top-spin"... but whatevs.

I have tried to that so many times and I can not manage to pull that off.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Better for pros if people are ignorant. What would doctors do if we could take care of ourselves? :p

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
The first time he said topspin it didn't bother me. Yes the ball is rolling out with topspin.

But then at the end he says, "You put topspin on the ball, not backspin." Ugh.

Anything you hit below the center of gravity with an inclined plane is going to have backspin. Some shots will have LESS backspin and therefore stop spinning and start trundling quicker and longer. But you are certainly not putting topspin on the ball.

I mean, you could do it, but you wouldn't use the face of the club to do it. You could use the bottom edge and hit above the equator of the ball with a little upward angle of attack and that should put a great deal of topspin on it.

Somehow I don't think this is the shot Butch is describing.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I had a chipping lesson once. The pro taught me this shot that Butch is describing. He got me to toe in the club and said that it would run out a lot more. I play this shot a lot on links courses, best to keep the ball on the ground as much as possible. I normally putt from off the green, but if there is a fringe and it needs to be chipped, then this makes sense. It is a bit weird hooding the club fo rthe first few goes, but it works with practice and is a useful shot to have in the bag.

Don't worry about top v. backspin. Worry about how close the ball is from the hole time after time.

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I'm not knocking what Butch was teaching at all. I've been playing that shot for years, because I only use my 60* around the greens. That shot is guaranteed to release when you need to get to a back pin. I just cringed when I heard Butch say "topspin".

🔥 Latest posts