• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tornadoes in Florida

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
One of our employees (and friend) lives in Deland. We couldn't get ahold of him for three days after. Not even on his cell phone. Talked to him a few days ago, and he said he came out of his house to see a line of...nothing left, 300 yards from his house. Pretty scary stuff. We don't have as many tornadoes here in Florida as in tornado alley, and the ones we do have are usually pretty small, since we don't get many supercells here (not enough temperature differential between the air masses). But once in a while one of those frigid air masses makes in down here, runs into our nice warm, moist air, and a sub-tropical jet, and produces storms like this one. This damage was caused by three tornadoes. A few years ago there was an outbreak outside of Orlando in which the NWS counted over 20 in a single storm.

Hurricanes, tornadoes, blizzards, terrorists. Pick your poison. Seems to me our "gummint" might consider spending some of those TSA $$$$$$$$$ on weather warning systems (LIKE GIVING THE RADIOS AWAY FOR FREE), instead of trying to keep my Aunt Mildred from bllowwing up a plain with her shampoo. I remember growing up in Wisconsin, and we had these cool sirens that would alert us whenever there was a tornado.

I know, I know - NO POLITICS.

I'm just saying.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Maybe if someone suggested to "the guv'ment" that the sirens were really for terrorists, but could be used for tornadoes in a pinch.

But......what do you do if you hear a siren? Houses down here in the South rarely have a basement or storm cellar. What good would it do me?

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe if someone suggested to "the guv'ment" that the sirens were really for terrorists, but could be used for tornadoes in a pinch.

But......what do you do if you hear a siren? Houses down here in the South rarely have a basement or storm cellar. What good would it do me?

True enough. But I'd rather have a fighting chance. At least I could put some sort of plan in motion. Maybe nothing better than a mattress and a bathtub. But sleeping in your bed and not even knowing a tornado was on it's way? Most tornado deaths are caused by flying debris, and if I got some warning I could at least give myself a chance. Of course, in an F5 it may be academic.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online