• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Torque question

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
I'm working on installing a new shaft into my FTi-q. I currently play a Matrix Ozik Xcon-6 Firm flex (67g Torque = 2.5 SS = 89-95 mph). I want to install a lighter Matrix Ozik Xcon-5 shaft. I need to decide between the Firm flex (57g, Torque = 4.3, SS=89-95 mph) or the Stiff flex (59g, Torque = 4.0, SS 96-102 mph). I swing 95-96 mph. I have decent control. I know torque is the shafts resistance to the head rotating during the swing, but don't know if it will affect me.

Will I notice the change in torque or is it negligible for an amateur like myself?

Any advice on Firm or Stiff flex with the Matrix Xcon-5 since I sit right in the middle of the two?

Thank ya much

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Certainly not an 'expert' on the subject Bames but I'll try to help as much as I can.

From everything thats been discussed on here I believe the final conclusion was that Torque numbers like the ones you have there, will NOT be felt by the average amateur, and probably not even most of the better amateurs. I doubt it wil have any effect on you otherwise if it did, then why wouldn't all shaft manufacturers just try and produce the lowest torque rated shafts they could????

As for the firm or stiff flex issue, I'd go for the stiff flex and my reasons are thus:
* The lighter shaft may help you pick up a few extra MPH in your swing speed, moving you up into the stiff category anyway.
* Firmer shafts USUALLY lead to tighter dispersion. I know, we all like to hit the long ball but personally I'd prefer 240 yards and 75% of fairways to 250 yards and 50% ANY DAY OF THE YEAR.

Hope this helps man and good luck with the decision.

OP
bames

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
Certainly not an 'expert' on the subject Bames but I'll try to help as much as I can.

From everything thats been discussed on here I believe the final conclusion was that Torque numbers like the ones you have there, will NOT be felt by the average amateur, and probably not even most of the better amateurs. I doubt it wil have any effect on you otherwise if it did, then why wouldn't all shaft manufacturers just try and produce the lowest torque rated shafts they could????

As for the firm or stiff flex issue, I'd go for the stiff flex and my reasons are thus:
* The lighter shaft may help you pick up a few extra MPH in your swing speed, moving you up into the stiff category anyway.
* Firmer shafts USUALLY lead to tighter dispersion. I know, we all like to hit the long ball but personally I'd prefer 240 yards and 75% of fairways to 250 yards and 50% ANY DAY OF THE YEAR.

Hope this helps man and good luck with the decision.

This does help - and thank you!

runninlope

Aug 8, 2008
Go with the stiffer shaft. You will hit is much more consistantly and will like it alot more

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.