• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tour Edge Exotics on the way

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
Found a TE Exotics driver on eBay that I couldn't pass up. It should be here in a couple of days; but perhaps some of you guys can answer a question or two in the meantime.

The club is 10.5* with an Aldila NV 65 shaft in regular flex. My swing speed was measured at 85mph about a year ago. It probably is a little faster now.
I have a fairly smooth tempo and tend to swing through the ball rather than hitting at it.

Any thoughts on what I should expect from this combination? I am currently using a SMT 455 DB driver, so the 460 head size should not be a problem for me. I am mainly interested in comments concerning the shaft since I am totally unfamiliar with the NV 65.

I understand that the comments will probably have to be general in nature since none of you have had the "opportunity" to observe my swing. :eek:

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
You're gonna "bomb 'em". If you don't just stick a Grafalloy Prototype Comp NT in it. I'll have that setup in a month or so.

OP
twogreen

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
Wow, that's a first. No one has ever used the term "bomb 'em" in conjunction with a discussion of my driving prowess until now. I like the way you think, warbirdlover. :rolleyes:

I'll post some initial impressions after I've had a chance to try the new club.

OP
twogreen

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
OK, here are the first impressions I promised. The club arrived yesterday morning and I played 18 with it yesterday and another 18 today.

First of all, it is a beautiful club and appears to be well crafted. I found no difficulty in transitioning from my SMT 455 DB to the TE. The setup, swing feel, and sound is very similar with the two clubs. If it were not for the different colors, I wouldn't even be aware I was hitting a different club.

After 36 holes, it appears that I have gained about 15-20 yards with the TE. Ball flight is somewhat lower with the new club, carry appears to be very close to the same; but I'm getting more roll with the TE. So far, it also appears to be somewhat more forgiving than my old driver. Forgiveness was always a strong point with my SMT; but there were times when the ball would fade too far and get me in trouble. That just hasn't happened yet with the TE. Every shot with it, so far, has been straight and true.

There are 3 holes on my home course where the TE has already helped me.
Two of the holes are dogleg right where I my drives used to always be just a little short of the turn. Since the course is heavily wooded, I often had to use a short pitch as my second shot to get to a point where I could stay in the fairway for the turn. Both yesterday and today my drives carried far enough so that my second shot was perfectly positioned for the turn.

There is also a par 4 on my course where the second shot has to carry over a lake to the green. My distance off the tee has always made this a chancey shot for me. I often chose to lay up toward the lake before trying to hit over it. Yesterday and today I easily cleared the lake with my second shot by taking advantage of the increased distance from the drive.

I won't get into a discussion of total distances; because I am sure they would not be relevant to most of you. Suffice it to say, I am still not a long hitter. 15-20 yards in increased distance is a big thing to me. If the TE continues to do that for me, it will be in my bag for quite a while. I am a happy camper. :)

OP
twogreen

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
warbirdlover said:
How does that shaft feel in it?

It feels fine to me right now; although I'm not sure I have enough experience with other shafts to really make an intelligent evaluation. If anything, it seems to play somewhat stiffer than the Harrison Striper that is in my SMT driver. So far, that seems to be a good thing; because I always had the feeling that the clubface wasn't closing fast enough when I got the errant fades with the old driver.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
The NV sounds like the right shaft for you if you have a nice smooth swing with good tempo. It has a mid to high kick point as well so that's what's probably lowered your trajectory to increase the amount of roll. Keep up the good work and all the best for after the honey moon period......

keep us posted.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I loved my brief, one night stand with the TEE that I demo'd. I felt like it was solid, confidence enducing and just beautiful. That gloss face is so unique.

Definitely keep us posted. If it wasn't for the insane pricetag on the thing, I'd have one in my bag right now over the Launcher.

Yep, you heard it. OVER the Launcher. :D

R35

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Rockford35 said:
Definitely keep us posted. If it wasn't for the insane pricetag on the thing, I'd have one in my bag right now over the Launcher.

R35

They really should be paying you a commision for every Shottalker who buys that thing.....where can I demo one?
icon10.gif
I take all hype with a grain of salt. I've watched my dad gain 15yds. by switching from a driver I paid $200 for to the one he paid $2 for at a yard sale. lol.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I don't pay much attention to the hype either unless I hear a word that clicks with me and the word in R35's writeup on that was "nano" shaft. I think that's the magic with that club and today I'm about to find out. I just picked up my Launcher yesterday with the new Grafalloy Prototype Comp NT shaft in it (same shaft in the Tour Edge Exotics that R35 liked).

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Rockford35 said:
I loved my brief, one night stand with the TEE that I demo'd. I felt like it was solid, confidence enducing and just beautiful. That gloss face is so unique.

R35
:faintthud :faintthud:faintthud:faintthud:faintthud:faintthud

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Eracer said:
:faintthud :faintthud:faintthud:faintthud:faintthud:faintthud

Hey, you had your chance....and you blew it! :D

But, what works for one is garbage for another.

R35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
WBL, what did you have in thay before the NT? An Aldila or the stock Fuji?

R35

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.