• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tour Lock Pro

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
Im all ready to purchase this- Golfsmith.com: Winn Tour Lock Pro Weight 100 Gram - Winn

which is the Winn Tour Lock Pro 100g weight for my inbound Scotty Cameron Studio Style 1.5. Can i just buy this weight and be done with it? If not, what exactly do i need to buy? Im really not looking to spend more than $20 for the whole process.

Can someone post some instructions, or a link to specific instructions?

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Just bought that exact one and a few more lighter versions for my driver and FW's just this week and installed them Thursday, see the end of this thread for more info and a drill bit you may want.
http://www.shottalk.com/forum/equipment-talk/11009-lyle-what-have-you-done.html

... also see this for reasons on why you may want the drill bit, as well as the difference :D
http://www.shottalk.com/forum/equipment-talk/18177-ghetto-backweighting.html
If you want to do it right, you are likely going to exceed the $20 cost slightly, but if you consider how often you will regrip your putter, the cost of the grip the first time, and just getting it done right it is probably worth the extra cost. Actually the one posted by Irish in the second link is likely the same grip as what you see here. It appears to be the Odyssey XG Grip.
7426d1206797379-ghetto-backweighting-tlp.jpg

OP
footballking732

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
my question is, can you put the backweight in under the grip? Meaning, i take the current grip that is on it off, and put the backweight in, and then put the new grip on over top of it all. That would save me the cost of buying the drill, and personally, i dont like the look of the top drilled out.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
my question is, can you put the backweight in under the grip? Meaning, i take the current grip that is on it off, and put the backweight in, and then put the new grip on over top of it all. That would save me the cost of buying the drill, and personally, i dont like the look of the top drilled out.
That was kind of my thought initially and the specific question on the end of the one thread. While I didn't get a definitive answer, now that I have seen and installed the weights, I would say with a guess that the answer is "NO". It would appear to me that the lip of the weights would extend past the shaft and make it hard to get the grip on. However this is just a guess based on looking at it from the standpoint of drilling it out.

I will say that if no one else who has actually tried this answers your question in the next day or so, I intend to regrip my putter either tomorrow or Monday as was my initial intent because my putter grip was worn out, and when I do so I will take some pictures with the grip off and post them so you will be able to form your own opinion. Which based on the number of people going to this option, I will post them even if someone who has tried this responds with a definate answer.

Although I will say from looking at it, even though I initially felt different, I intend to do it as it is now regardless. Probably in part because I can show people I regularly play with how it works. To me golf is kind of an educational science that I can share with friends as a conversation piece, and if I put it under the grip it would take away from the conversational value. :)

Plus it does just look nice to me.

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
yeah I like the look of the drilled out top. I have all the bits and everything so all I would need to do is buy the Winn thing.

OP
footballking732

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
That was kind of my thought initially and the specific question on the end of the one thread. While I didn't get a definitive answer, now that I have seen and installed the weights, I would say with a guess that the answer is "NO". It would appear to me that the lip of the weights would extend past the shaft and make it hard to get the grip on. However this is just a guess based on looking at it from the standpoint of drilling it out.

I will say that if no one else who has actually tried this answers your question in the next day or so, I intend to regrip my putter either tomorrow or Monday as was my initial intent because my putter grip was worn out, and when I do so I will take some pictures with the grip off and post them so you will be able to form your own opinion. Which based on the number of people going to this option, I will post them even if someone who has tried this responds with a definate answer.

Although I will say from looking at it, even though I initially felt different, I intend to do it as it is now regardless. Probably in part because I can show people I regularly play with how it works. To me golf is kind of an educational science that I can share with friends as a conversation piece, and if I put it under the grip it would take away from the conversational value. :)

Plus it does just look nice to me.

so what you are saying is that with the tour lock in the shaft, the grip might not fit on?

im planning on replacing the grip that is on the Scotty anyways, as topflight says that it needs it, and simply just because i want a baby t on it.

and another thing is that i just HATE the look of the drilled out grip.

and the last is that i dont mind that i would not be able to switch the weight, as i am sure that i want 100g and im sure that i will like it.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
so what you are saying is that with the tour lock in the shaft, the grip might not fit on?
That is my guess, but will be able to tell you more tomorrow or the next day. Probably tomorrow morning.

I would do it tonight but don't feel comfortable mixing a Razor with Vodka and Tonic.. :)

edit 1 - .... actually, if you really wanted to do it that way, it would likely not be a big issue if you have a grinder or some kind of power sander. Just put the thing in, tighten it down, then sand or grind down whatever part of the lip extends past the shaft. Then put the grip on. What you would sand down would have no effect on the locking mechanism with the allen wrench slot

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
I just ordered a 100g from Golfsmith. All my stuff should be here next week, and I will putting like a beast, Look out Tiger no lip out for me :laugh:

OP
footballking732

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
I just ordered a 100g from Golfsmith. All my stuff should be here next week, and I will putting like a beast, Look out Tiger no lip out for me :laugh:

the paypal should clear by tuesday, then i will ship all 3 clubs. So just get the Scotty out when it clears, and i will do the same. :)

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
Yeah you bet. I packaged the Scotty the other day but I didn't wrap it in any paper and I taped the box shut but I put it in a driver box with those slits for the shaft so it shouldn't go anywheres. If it get damaged I think you should blame USPS. :laugh:
Edit: I'll get an address type thing printed out and stuck on and have my mom ship it Monday. I trust you that Paypal will clear.

OP
footballking732

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
Yeah you bet. I packaged the Scotty the other day but I didn't wrap it in any paper and I taped the box shut but I put it in a driver box with those slits for the shaft so it shouldn't go anywheres. If it get damaged I think you should blame USPS. :laugh:
Edit: I'll get an address type thing printed out and stuck on and have my mom ship it Monday. I trust you that Paypal will clear.

lol ok good work :)

and 10-4, as long as you are shipping out monday, i will try to ship out monday as well. Tuesday at the latest.

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
Same here I hope I have enough money, do you have any idea how much it would cost? It cost me $6.55 to ship a shaft to Florida.

OP
footballking732

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
Same here I hope I have enough money, do you have any idea how much it would cost? It cost me $6.55 to ship a shaft to Florida.

from wisconsin to Maryland id say $8-$9. That would be via USPS. UPS and Fedex would be more.

For me it will probably be an upwards of $18 because i am shipping 3 clubs.

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
Yea UPS is crazy for a packing tube, and shipping it would cost about $20 to ship a golf shaft. Although I figured it to CA.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.