• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tour Lock Pro

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
That was kind of my thought initially and the specific question on the end of the one thread. While I didn't get a definitive answer, now that I have seen and installed the weights, I would say with a guess that the answer is "NO". It would appear to me that the lip of the weights would extend past the shaft and make it hard to get the grip on. However this is just a guess based on looking at it from the standpoint of drilling it out.

I will say that if no one else who has actually tried this answers your question in the next day or so, I intend to regrip my putter either tomorrow or Monday as was my initial intent because my putter grip was worn out, and when I do so I will take some pictures with the grip off and post them so you will be able to form your own opinion. Which based on the number of people going to this option, I will post them even if someone who has tried this responds with a definate answer.

Although I will say from looking at it, even though I initially felt different, I intend to do it as it is now regardless. Probably in part because I can show people I regularly play with how it works. To me golf is kind of an educational science that I can share with friends as a conversation piece, and if I put it under the grip it would take away from the conversational value. :)

Plus it does just look nice to me.

Well, to answer both of you I did it today. I thought it would be easy just to drill a hole in the end of my grip and slide the weight in, wrong. I ended up pulling the old grip (which I had been planning on doing anyway) putting the 20g weight in the butt end of my R5 and throwing some tape over the end. The grip went on a little tough at first but once I got it started it slid right on.

The one downfall to this is, had I not liked the feel of the 20g and decided to go another route...well I am out the $5 for the grip. I guess if you know what weight will feel right you would be all set doing it this way, if you plan on playing around with them though, get the bit.

OP
footballking732

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
Well, to answer both of you I did it today. I thought it would be easy just to drill a hole in the end of my grip and slide the weight in, wrong. I ended up pulling the old grip (which I had been planning on doing anyway) putting the 20g weight in the butt end of my R5 and throwing some tape over the end. The grip went on a little tough at first but once I got it started it slid right on.

The one downfall to this is, had I not liked the feel of the 20g and decided to go another route...well I am out the $5 for the grip. I guess if you know what weight will feel right you would be all set doing it this way, if you plan on playing around with them though, get the bit.

Thanks for confirmation!!

I just ordered the 100g Tour Lock Pro off of Amazon, as i had a $10 credit to my account. So in total, with free shipping(which i dunno why they gave me free shipping my total was under the free shipping minimum) the 100g weight cost me $4.

Now thats a sweet deal. :)

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
All I could find on Amazon was the grip for the weight, so I ended up spending $20 but what the heck.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Even though Jim answered the question on being able to grip over these, I pulled my grip to regrip today, so I figured I may as well take the pictures so people can see what they would be up against. I am still going to grip mine then use the tour lock on top with the bit per my previous picture, but here is what it looks like. Personally, as I said before, if it was me and I definatily wanted it under the grip I would likely just sand down that edge to make it easier to get the grip on. As much as I hate WINN grips, I do like them for my putter, and would have visions of mangling the grip trying to get it over that lip or get the end flush.

BTW, here is another thread with a little more detail, that I thought I would simply in someone should run by this on a search.
http://www.shottalk.com/forum/equipment-talk/11009-lyle-what-have-you-done.html

I also thought I should mention, as I did in the other thread, Amazon does in fact carry these and does not require the $75 for free shipping. Which they still come from Golfsmith through the amazon site, they have all the other weights as well. Just need to know what to search. I believe I used Tour lock or Winn tour. The 20g is made by golfsmith, so you likely would need to use Golsmith tour, but it too shows on Tour Lock.
Amazon.com: Winn Tour Lock Pro Weight 100 Gram: Sports & Outdoors
Amazon.com: tour lock: Sports & Outdoors

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
Thanks for the pictures. I think when mine arrives in a few days I have my dad help me with a drill bit and counter sink it into the grip like someone posted a picture of that I liked.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
My 150g TLP showed up the other day. :D Had to order that puppy direct as I have not seen anyone else carry it including Golfsmith. It took me about 1 minute to modify the grip with the modifier and another few minutes to let it cool down abit before I put the 150g in my Guerin Rife 2 Bar Black series. That 150g of backweighting and the heavisest weights available in the head weight ports has this bad boy coming pretty close to the HP weight. When I get a chance, I will put them both on a scale and see how close I have come weight wise.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
My 150g TLP showed up the other day. :D Had to order that puppy direct as I have not seen anyone else carry it including Golfsmith. It took me about 1 minute to modify the grip with the modifier and another few minutes to let it cool down abit before I put the 150g in my Guerin Rife 2 Bar Black series. That 150g of backweighting and the heavisest weights available in the head weight ports has this bad boy coming pretty close to the HP weight. When I get a chance, I will put them both on a scale and see how close I have come weight wise.
Sure, it shows up a week after I order mine, and before I ever took it on the course. I seriously would have ordered the 150g over the 100g. While I notice the 100g, it is not overbearing by any means. Although the 100g should be fine (for now :D)
Thanks for the pictures. I think when mine arrives in a few days I have my dad help me with a drill bit and counter sink it into the grip like someone posted a picture of that I liked.
Your not going to be able to use just any drill bit and counter sync. They make a specific one, as I mentioned earlier in the thread when I mentioned it was going to cost slightly more than $20 if you want to do it that way and do it right with the weight over the grip. I can almost guarantee if you do not use this bit you will not only ruin the grip, but it will end up looking like one of the pictures in the "Getto Backweighting" thread, or worse.
Golfsmith.com: Golfsmith TLP Grip Modifier Tool - Golfsmith

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I have 2 100g's in other putters. I may start messing around with them to see if I can build a 200g TLP. :laugh:

I really like the feel of the 150g. Like I've said alll along, I am trying to get back to the heft of the HP but with a putter that has face feel and anit-skid technology. This 2 Bar is as close as I have gotten to acheiving that level.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I have 2 100g's in other putters. I may start messing around with them to see if I can build a 200g TLP. :laugh:
If you have an extra weight to toy around with and take apart, you could try it out. I'm guessing you would only need to twist the rubber part off the bolt thread and it will slide out. The copper pipe appears to be about 3 1/4 inches long and not connected to the plastic or rubber piece. the current screw appear to be 4 3/8, so if you could find a similar bolt around 7 5/8" long, you would have one just short of 200g and would still likely work. Although I would also consider either taping or superglue the joint of the two on the outside. Seems like in may work.

You could also maybe able to just cork the end and push the first one through without tightening.

If I find the 100g to be lighter than I wish, I will probably try looking for a longer matching screw and try the first option. Don't want to test it on mine because I don't have and extra and not sure it would go back correctly.

Although I would wonder if in doing so you may transfer more weight down the shaft than what you want and may loose the counterbalance feel. Your hands would still extend past the weight though?

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
Your not going to be able to use just any drill bit and counter sync. They make a specific one, as I mentioned earlier in the thread when I mentioned it was going to cost slightly more than $20 if you want to do it that way and do it right with the weight over the grip. I can almost guarantee if you do not use this bit you will not only ruin the grip, but it will end up looking like one of the pictures in the "Getto Backweighting" thread, or worse.
Golfsmith.com: Golfsmith TLP Grip Modifier Tool - Golfsmith
I tried drilling a hole on one of my putters and it turned out perfect with one of those flat bits with the point for the counter sink part and a regular dill bit to drill all the way through the grip. It works prefect because the point of the bit fits right in that hole on the grip.
*** Edit here's a picture
56938_m.jpg

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I tried drilling a hole on one of my putters and it turned out perfect with one of those flat bits with the point for the counter sink part and a regular dill bit to drill all the way through the grip. It works prefect because the point of the bit fits right in that hole on the grip.
*** Edit here's a picture
Makes sense, good luck with that. My concern would have been on the regular bit catching the threads wrong, or not being the exact dimension and the weight wobbling around from the drill through or having too big a gap on the countersink.

That and the fact that my normal drill bits are not much cheaper than the one from TLP.

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
I'll have to see once I get the weight and putter in a few days before I go and just drill away.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
If you have an extra weight to toy around with and take apart, you could try it out. I'm guessing you would only need to twist the rubber part off the bolt thread and it will slide out. The copper pipe appears to be about 3 1/4 inches long and not connected to the plastic or rubber piece. the current screw appear to be 4 3/8, so if you could find a similar bolt around 7 5/8" long, you would have one just short of 200g and would still likely work. Although I would also consider either taping or superglue the joint of the two on the outside. Seems like in may work.Although I would wonder if in doing so you may transfer more weight down the shaft than what you want and may loose the counterbalance feel. Your hands would still extend past the weight though?

That is my plan, try to find a longer bolt that fits and reassemble as a one piece unit.

The 150g is pretty long too, but not longer than the length of the grip. As long as the weight is under your hands I do not think that it would upset the counterbalance feel.

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
I got the weight today tryed fitting it into one of my old putters and it doesn fit! Did anyone else have problems getting it to fit? I guess it isn't that much of a big deal because it will probably fit just fine in the Odyssey.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.