• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tour Lock Pro

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
What about weighting the head along with the butt weight? Wether were talking putter, wedges, or irons, does anyone have experience with adding weight to both ends? Is it basically an experiment to find what works for you or are there general rules? I've gained a lot of insight from the threads
and would like to know what you guys think.
Once you start adding weight to the head you will start to change the swingweight of the club. Or how you can feel the head when you swing. While it will affect the calculation of the swingweight when you add it to the shaft, it actually has no effect on the actual swingweight to anything added to a 14" fulcrum from the end of the shaft. So adding to the shaft will effect how the club feels, it will not effect the performance to as large a degree as when you add it to the head.

So while with a putter, it is probably not as important as long as it feels O.K. Once you start doing so on the other clubs, it could causes some unpredictable results in not only drastically changing the feel of the club, but also affecting the shaft flex. Anytime you add weight to the head you also are in turn making the shaft more flexable. Not that it is not something you can do, but you need to be aware that you may get unpredictable results and performance that are directly related to the added weight.

rlazo

Trojan
Aug 5, 2008
I'm getting a better understanding, but if one were to want to experiment and modify a set of steel shafted irons, would you start with adding weight to the butt end or the head? Would you only add weight to the butt, not the head and see how well that performed first?

I recently pruchased an MOI speed match from GS. I've never used one before and purchased it merely for my experiments. :deadhorse:
It states that it can compute the MOI difference between 2 clubs and the differences between clubs within a set. Inputing a couple values about a particular club, the device says it can tell you where to add weight to it so that it can match the "feel" or MOI of the favorite club.

I guess my bottom line is this: Do you experiment by perfecting one club the best you can in terms of feel and performance and then match the rest to that standard?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online