• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tour or non?

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
Because I can't hit a fade (on purpose) to save my life.

You could, if you practiced it.

I have trouble hitting fades too. I hit a lot of what I call "low quality fades" because I'm scared I'll double cross it left of left if I try to hit a nice compressed 5 yard fade. So I usually just swipe across the ball and make sure I peel one off to the right. I don't get that nice compressed feel and I lose a ton of distance, but it's my safety net....and my little 250-260 yd slice comes in real handy.

LBlack14

Enjoy Life!
Supporting Member
May 5, 2008
Ohio
Country
There's a big difference between shaping shots and a natural ball flight.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
OK AG her you go. Up to about 9 years ago I played a baby fade on every shot just like (sorta) Craig Stadler and one of my favorite players of all time Brice Lietzke. The left side of the course never came into play unless I really screwed up and just yanked one over to the left in a dead pull. My handicap was creeping lower and lower untill I made it to a 10. My older brother who was a scratch at the time said in order to make it to the next level I needed to learn to hit the draw. I spent the next 4-6 months re-tooling my swing to learn the draw and promptly screwed everything up. I became so inconsistant I almost gave up the game. Over the last 4-5 years through practice :) I turned the power hook into a small draw. I am able to work the ball now from a small draw to a hook on demand, but I struggle alot to shape one from left to right. I can do it, but it requires a very pronounced chicken wing swing.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
My story is not unlike yours Greg. I started out with a slice, got better, learned to hit a draw, my cap got worse, fought a hook and I just kept hitting balls. I felt like it was a set back at times. It gets worse before it gets better, but you do so to elevate your game higher than you ever could have staying with the same swing.

I enjoy hitting balls and hitting different types of shots. That's my favorite part about this crazy game. I get a lot of satisfaction when I hit a shot just like I visualized.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Find me a course where straight DOESN'T work and I quit!
Right on Jim. I attended the Australian Ladies Masters on the weekend and for most of it followed Jessica Korda's group. She hits the ball dead straight. Not a hint of fade or draw. It was pretty to watch ... not to mention her also. :cool:

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Right on Jim. I attended the Australian Ladies Masters on the weekend and for most of it followed Jessica Korda's group. She hits the ball dead straight. Not a hint of fade or draw. It was pretty to watch ... not to mention her also. :cool:
I can't hit a draw in purpose. I don't fade on purpose, but I tend to at for my slice. Funny thing is, I don't want to hit a draw or fade. I don't think my game would improve much if I could hit those shots. Maybe a little with distance control. Putting and chipping, that's where it is!

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Currently my natural shot is a heavy draw. Misses are typically blocked or hooked, but mostly hooked.

I can work the ball left to right, but i have no idea how far right it will go or how far it will go.

My career started fighting slice and playing fade. Now i fight hook and play draw. Really hope the next progression is draw with the ability to fade...

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Find me a course where straight DOESN'T work and I quit!

A straight shot is beautiful, but it's the most difficult shot in golf. To hit a shot that starts dead at the target and never leaves that line is so difficult and it's near impossible to do consistantly. On top of that, you won't know where your miss will be. Curving the ball is easy and you have an idea of which direction its going to go when you miss.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
A straight shot is beautiful, but it's the most difficult shot in golf. To hit a shot that starts dead at the target and never leaves that line is so difficult and it's near impossible to do consistantly. On top of that, you won't know where your miss will be. Curving the ball is easy and you have an idea of which direction its going to go when you miss.
I find it harder to hit a consistent draw or fade. And I know where my misses will be, long or short.

OP
nututhugame

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Kinda funny story about a draw... eclark should remember this.
Last WI outing I hit a couple really nice draws off the tee early in the round with 4I and hybrid. I figured i'd roll with it all day and about that time I started to lose it. On one tee shot I said aloud after blocking one "where is that damn draw?". Next tee I hit one with the hybrid that started scarily out over the right trees and abruptly hooked all the way over to in between the cart path and trees on the left. eclark matter of factly mutters, "there's that draw you were looking for" and he and Jake speed off in their cart. Later that hole Jake attempts a pitch that promptly ends up in their cart... the round lost any shred of seriousness right about at that point. Good times.

OP
nututhugame

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I hit the non tour at Dicks today. Their monitor sucks and didn't give any of the #'s I wanted to know about. Swing speeds were low of 103, high of 112, and a few in between. I LOVE the red. I still really need to get a real driver fitting with some real analysis though. I suspect the Kuro Kage Black is going to be a high spinner for me. It's probably going to be the Tour or a shaft upgrade in the 460... we'll see after I hit both in a real fitting.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.