• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tour or non?

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I always thought that it would, up until this season, I have never used an adjustable driver. I think that the systems that they use and the materials that are incorporated into the connection system make the clubs feel pretty solid.
Fascinating. I had an imix once and it felt so bad I sold it before I even hit it. Just felt plain awful.

Now with Titleist, TM and Nike have adjustable drivers I may need to check them out.

What advantage does being adjustable have? I mean if you know your loft/head why bother changing?

OP
nututhugame

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Fascinating. I had an imix once and it felt so bad I sold it before I even hit it. Just felt plain awful.

Now with Titleist, TM and Nike have adjustable drivers I may need to check them out.

What advantage does being adjustable have? I mean if you know your loft/head why bother changing?
I had an Imix also and it didn't bother me. Damn shame I got rid of it too, it had a Speeder 757 in it. I bombed that thing, but the closed Cally face caused some super mean yanks. Which leads me to why a guy may want an adjustable driver. So you're not stuck with a closed face on a head you otherwise would like. Through the year you may get quicker at squaring the face and may want to adjust to an open face. You may want to kick her down to 8.5 if you know you're about to play a round in the wind. Who knows. But you can do it all with one driver and wouldn't have to wish for a lower ballflight on a windy day or whatever.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I had an Imix also and it didn't bother me. Damn shame I got rid of it too, it had a Speeder 757 in it. I bombed that thing, but the closed Cally face caused some super mean yanks. Which leads me to why a guy may want an adjustable driver. So you're not stuck with a closed face on a head you otherwise would like. Through the year you may get quicker at squaring the face and may want to adjust to an open face. You may want to kick her down to 8.5 if you know you're about to play a round in the wind. Who knows. But you can do it all with one driver and wouldn't have to wish for a lower ballflight on a windy day or whatever.
You should do a commercial! :)

OP
nututhugame

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
You should do a commercial! :)
I could use the money. Seriously though, think about it. It totally makes sense, Doesn't it? If you couldn't already tell, i've thought about this a bit. I'm sick of buying different drivers too!

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I could use the money. Seriously though, think about it. It totally makes sense, Doesn't it? If you couldn't already tell, i've thought about this a bit. I'm sick of buying different drivers too!
So buying this club will help you stop buying clubs? I like the thought process! Have you tried this argument on your wife? :)

OP
nututhugame

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
So buying this club will help you stop buying clubs? I like the thought process! Have you tried this argument on your wife? :)
My buddy from four houses down that got me into golf has since gotten into scuba diving and subsquently bought an obscene dollar amount of gear for said hobby. The wife and I are friends with him and his wife and when i'm working his wife watches our younger ones. My wife has an appreciation for the fact that the only thing I ever buy is a golf club here and there. It's a non-issue.

I don't know about you, but from the first day out in spring, to mid-summer, to late season my tempo changes as the rust gets knocked off. I could play at least two different profile drivers through the course of a season. It'd be nice to just dial in an adjustment and see if it works instead of wondering if 2* more loft would've helped. I'm never free on demo days and hitting indoors just doesn't tell the whole story. Why not just have 15 drivers in one? Buy a couple shafts down the road if need be. Ya know...

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
My buddy from four houses down that got me into golf has since gotten into scuba diving and subsquently bought an obscene dollar amount of gear for said hobby. The wife and I are friends with him and his wife and when i'm working his wife watches our younger ones. My wife has an appreciation for the fact that the only thing I ever buy is a golf club here and there. It's a non-issue.

I don't know about you, but from the first day out in spring, to mid-summer, to late season my tempo changes as the rust gets knocked off. I could play at least two different profile drivers through the course of a season. It'd be nice to just dial in an adjustment and see if it works instead of wondering if 2* more loft would've helped. I'm never free on demo days and hitting indoors just doesn't tell the whole story. Why not just have 15 drivers in one? Buy a couple shafts down the road if need be. Ya know...
You make good point ms and yes my swing changes too from the beginning of the year.

Like I said, I am fascinated and may have to try one out! I am never free on demo days either though.

OP
nututhugame

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
You make good point ms and yes my swing changes too from the beginning of the year.

Like I said, I am fascinated and may have to try one out! I am never free on demo days either though.
I've been curious about adjustable drivers since there has been adjustable drivers. The Covert is just what i've been waiting for. I don't believe i'm going to gain 25 yds or anything, but I believe it can help with some things. After all of my anticipation I am praying that I don't go demo one and hate it.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I've been curious about adjustable drivers since there has been adjustable drivers. The Covert is just what i've been waiting for. I don't believe i'm going to gain 25 yds or anything, but I believe it can help with some things. After all of my anticipation I am praying that I don't go demo one and hate it.
I think you'll like the Covert, especially the smaller one. Even if you don't though, there are a lot of drivers now that are adjustable.

Ahhhhhhhh! I just sneezed and spilled coffee on my keyboard :( #$^%#@

OP
nututhugame

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I think you'll like the Covert, especially the smaller one. Even if you don't though, there are a lot of drivers now that are adjustable.

Ahhhhhhhh! I just sneezed and spilled coffee on my keyboard :( #$^%#@
But how many are there that you can adjust loft AND/OR face angle independently of each other? And I don't really care for TM too much, just not interested in the R1...

Sorry 'bout your keyboard dude. You must not've gotten the #'s. Lol.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
But how many are there that you can adjust loft AND/OR face angle independently of each other?
Titleist is the only one that I know for certain where you can independently adjust loft and face angle. That is something that you need to look at with Nike and others. What is the range of lofts and what is the range of open/closed for face angle. Titleist 910/913 is more about loft. My driver will go from 8.75* to 11* of loft. IMO, the fade/draw bias is minimal...using a spread of 2.25* of lie angle. Like I said, I'm not sure about the other companies.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Apparently the Covert will adjust from 8.5* to 12.5* of loft? I couldn't find much on it, but if this is correct, that is huge. BStone, do you know what the ranges of adjustability are?

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I went for the adjustable driver and it's set at D1 neutral face and default loft. I can switch it if I want, and I probably should move it to more fade bias. I was in the same scenario about which head to get and I went with the smaller head because I like the way it looks. I also put in the shaft I wanted and I've been all set for 2 seasons now. The last time I went that long was back when I had the 905R blueboard combo.

OP
nututhugame

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Apparently the Covert will adjust from 8.5* to 12.5* of loft? I couldn't find much on it, but if this is correct, that is huge. BStone, do you know what the ranges of adjustability are?
Yeah, 8.5, 9.5, 10.5, 11.5, and 12.5. Open, neutral, closed... I don't know how much though.

Members online

No members online now.