• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tour Swing Update!!!

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
While the USGA has a COR guideline, I can guarantee that there is no production model head that comes anywhere near it....Okay, maybe that was too bold a statement...lets say HARDLY anyone comes close, with a production model.

I sent a copy of this question to the tech guys at TourSwing and see if they did direct comparison.

here's the article that got me thinking about this
Tom Wishon Golf Technology - May 2007 TWGT eTECHreport

What kind of roll does the Renegade have?

Thanks

OP
indacup

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
Is there any company who COR tests each head and stickers them with it? I would love a head that I knew was right near the legal limit. I've been very disappointed with the smash factor numbers I'm getting with my 425TP.

I am not aware of any company that collects that data...even the USGA will not publish the results other than "Pass" or "Fail".

However, the company that submits their equipment knows and the USGA confirms it.

Plus, the numbers, simply due to tolerances levels will vary from head to head.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
LOL..

I LOVE the exotics...and you're right, they employ cup face on their fairway woods and drivers.

But the big difference is the Fairway woods are STEEL faces and cup design is great for steel...steel bends easier and less brittle than Titanium.

Look at the Exotics drivers...no where NEAR as impressive as the fairway woods, are they?

Reason being? they have to make the faces thicker to bend without breaking.

Face thickness on the cup Ti faces is around .044-.050"...whereas you can get flat ti faces down to .030...and in the case of the TS products, much thinner than that.

When I get back to ouir other shop, I'll take pictures of cup thickness next to flat....it's enormous.

Looking forward to the pics.

I am with you, the FW cups are tremendous. My understanding is that the new TEE drivers designs are trying to mimick the performance of the higher performing fairways (which are Ti face in the CB1 versions mated to a steel body) with the lighter crown and more solid face, similar to the FW designs.

If they could attain the same performance in their drivers, look out.

If you get some pics, I'm always interested in that sort of stuff.

Cheers,

R35

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Looking forward to the pics.

I am with you, the FW cups are tremendous. My understanding is that the new TEE drivers designs are trying to mimick the performance of the higher performing fairways (which are Ti face in the CB1 versions mated to a steel body) with the lighter crown and more solid face, similar to the FW designs.

If they could attain the same performance in their drivers, look out.

If you get some pics, I'm always interested in that sort of stuff.

Cheers,

R35

I still wish TE produced that 11* CB2 "fairway driver" one of their reps told me about last January. According to him, it was stupid long but TE marketing put the kibosh on it.:(

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I still wish TE produced that 11* CB2 "fairway driver" one of their reps told me about last January. According to him, it was stupid long but TE marketing put the kibosh on it.:(

If TE made an 8* FW, I'd hit that at 45.5" as my driver off the deck of the teebox. Those CB1's are just stupid long.

R35

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Am interested in a Renegade. Will contact you after I get back from trip to Jamaica. When is the 12* coming out??? Not sure 10.5* will be right paired with Solutions or UST LD. What shafts are you recommending for the low spin head for SS of say 105 mph. Spin rate of my current set up is about right. See sig.

OP
indacup

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
Am interested in a Renegade. Will contact you after I get back from trip to Jamaica. When is the 12* coming out???
I just got off the phone with TS and they said the higher loft heads is a month away.

Not sure 10.5* will be right paired with Solutions or UST LD. What shafts are you recommending for the low spin head for SS of say 105 mph. Spin rate of my current set up is about right. See sig.

I will have a much more educated answer once I get these tomorrow....I plan on taking much of the day working on these heads and learn as much as possible...as SOON as possible.

But the numbers I'm getting from Wisconsin and overseas is mindblowing.

Oddly enough, I have fallen in love with this Xplode head.....for me and my game, I think nothing will unseat it.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Pm sent.

they both look pretty sweet indacup, you must be pretty jacked up right now.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
"Not sure 10.5* will be right paired with Solutions or UST LD. What shafts are you recommending for the low spin head for SS of say 105 mph. Spin rate of my current set up is about right. "

I am no expert, but..........when you refer to 'low spin head' it means they have simply moved the cog further forward, it doesn' mean they have actually reduced the spin rate by any other way, you may already know that, I'm just making sure. This just means you have to dial that lower launch angle in with every other factor, and that includes your launch angle. Take a head like this with a sharper angle of attack, a heavy and late transition and fast tempo, and you will need a totally different shaft to from someone with a shallower angle, slower tempo, earlier transition etc etc etc. An this is with the same swing speed, one would have low torque, high bend, heavier weight and much stiffer, the other could be totally different. Plus each player would play totally different lofts.

The 'low spin' ie cog moved to reduce launch is just one factor. If you really want to know, and you can't dem, then you need to describe your swing accurately and post current launch figs, plus the exact specs of your current club.

Asking with none of those is total guess work

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
"Not sure 10.5* will be right paired with Solutions or UST LD. What shafts are you recommending for the low spin head for SS of say 105 mph. Spin rate of my current set up is about right. "

I am no expert, but..........when you refer to 'low spin head' it means they have simply moved the cog further forward, it doesn' mean they have actually reduced the spin rate by any other way, you may already know that, I'm just making sure. This just means you have to dial that lower launch angle in with every other factor, and that includes your launch angle. Take a head like this with a sharper angle of attack, a heavy and late transition and fast tempo, and you will need a totally different shaft to from someone with a shallower angle, slower tempo, earlier transition etc etc etc. An this is with the same swing speed, one would have low torque, high bend, heavier weight and much stiffer, the other could be totally different. Plus each player would play totally different lofts.

The 'low spin' ie cog moved to reduce launch is just one factor. If you really want to know, and you can't dem, then you need to describe your swing accurately and post current launch figs, plus the exact specs of your current club.

Asking with none of those is total guess work
Let's say I'm the latter type. 95mph, earlier transition, slower tempo, shallower angle.

Is a "low-spin" head necessarily wrong for me? Is spin rate really that important for carry distance? If I'm getting the launch angle (from a 13-deg. face) and the right shaft is mated to the head, isn't that enough?

Next question - is the FT-5 a low-spin or a high-spin head? The reason I ask is that I hit the 13-deg. version with the Fit-On shaft, and hit really long shots that went on what seemed like a really good trajectory. I say seemed because I wasn't on a launch monitor at the time. But the club really got my attention.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Renegade 10.5* with a Graman UL540 Limey ordered up. :D

I am looking forward to getting this combination up and running and out to the range for some test sessions. I am very interested to see how it performs compared to my TEE and Geek DCT.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Eracer, 'low spin' is a little confusing, it just means a move in the cog, so a lower launch

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Rory, get those "at address" pics up. That X-plode looks sweet at address.

:D

R35

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Eracer, 'low spin' is a little confusing, it just means a move in the cog, so a lower launch
Let's say that a particular head has a movable COG. With the COG in the "up" position it launches 5 degrees lower than in the "down" position.

So, I get the head in an 8-deg., and a 13-deg. version. I put the COG "low" in the 8-deg. head, and "high" in the 13-deg. version. The differences in launch angle cancel out, and both heads launch the ball at the same angle.

Which would be better for me? Or is this too simplistic?

I'm trying to understand the relationship between face angle and COG as it pertains to launch angle. Why? Because I'm a nerd.

🔥 Latest posts