• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

"Tournament Ball" experiment begins in Ohio

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Rockford35 said:
But conversely, I believe that if they limit the ball, there should be no limit on equipment. That keeps competition uo with the brands and technology moving. If you make it stagnant, they will suffer.

That's the trade off for the equipment manufacturers. Give up the ball but make you $ on the sticks. They can still make balls but to an agreed spec. People still need to buy balls (like clothes) so they will buy their favorite brand.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Augster said:
"We haven't chosen the exact ball yet," Fadel said, "but we are leaning to one that optimizes (distance efficiency off the tee) between 100 and 105 miles per hour (driver swing speed). The ball is not going to benefit somebody at 120 (mph) the way the current ball does. We are trying to achieve a little more equality, that's all. The guy who swings 120 will still hit it farther than most of the other players, but not quite so far."
This is such B.S. These are PGA professionals we are talking about? A 100 to 105 mile an hour swing might...might be good enough to cut it on the LPGA or the Senoir Tour, but the PGA. The bottom line is if you aren't good enough, you aren't good enough. That is why they have different color tees. If you want to play from blues and blacks, well you better have a serious game, and that includes being able to hit a long, accurate, consistent driver. I just don't see any argument here. Who is the 2006 money leader? I would be willing to bet my entire years salary that if you gave me and Rory Sabitini a dozen ProV1's, I would outdrive his longest, hands down.
My economics professor told me this "always, always follow the money" Appararently this course and any others that want this uniform ball have some acreage issues. They are getting to the point where there courses are too easy to handle a professional tournament. They need to break out the backhoe, move the traps up 30 yards, plant some more trees and leave the damn balls alone.

token_hottie

token_mommy... oops!
Jan 12, 2006
I agree that it all comes down to money, but does it really make sense financially to re-design the shorter courses to accommodate the select few PGA golfers as you suggested?

Seems like it would be more cost-effective to simply put a restriction on the balls the pro's use for the occasional tournament they may host while still appealing to the masses of average golfers who play there every single day.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
IrishGolfer said:
That's the trade off for the equipment manufacturers. Give up the ball but make you $ on the sticks. They can still make balls but to an agreed spec. People still need to buy balls (like clothes) so they will buy their favorite brand.

Which still leaves room for lots of profit. Spot on, IG.

This isn't a tough one to figure out here. The game is endangering those who don't have a 120+ swing speed to become alienated and old hat. Obviously the USGA wants as many people playing golf as possible. Limit the ball, put everyone on a level playing field from that perspective and let natural ability take it's course.

I like the idea. I can't see why anyone, except those that depend on technology to correct flaws in their game, wouldn't understand this perspective.

R35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
token_hottie said:
I agree that it all comes down to money, but does it really make sense financially to re-design the shorter courses to accommodate the select few PGA golfers as you suggested?

Seems like it would be more cost-effective to simply put a restriction on the balls the pro's use for the occasional tournament they may host while still appealing to the masses of average golfers who play there every single day.

Post of the day.

R35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
No, just respect.:D

Join the Premium Membership, you'll win prizes that way. :)

R35

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
token_hottie said:

That's why they have different tees. A trap at 315 yds. from the championship tees will only be 275 from the whites or 230-240 from the reds. As for the point of the economics, that is my arguement. They are trying to cut the cost of keeping their course competitive by restricting the equipment. I don't agree that lengthing courses is the answer either. There needs to be more trouble when you hit a drive 30-40 yards offline, like absolutely no way to hit the green with an approach. I can hit 320 yard bombs all day long that miss the fairway by 40 yards. At the courses around here you'll need a machete, a leafblower and a pack of cub scouts just to find it.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
ezra76 said:
At the courses around here you'll need a machete, a leafblower and a pack of cub scouts just to find it.
I agree. My home course are White tees 5500 yards - Slope 132; Blue Tees 5900 yards - Slope 137. Possibly the toughest course I have played. No water on the course that comes into play. I Couldn't imagine if they made a course like this 6500-7000 yards, I already need a chainsaw. Grow the rough, if you don't have trees put in 3 foot tall grass and make it a penalty to miss the fairway and green. How much does it cost to let grass grow longer. Put in hazards or narrow fairways that challenge longer drives.

This is kinda like Nascar using restricter plates to slow down cars to make it safer. What happens, you have 43 cars 3 wide in a span of a couple hundred yards going 200 mph. If there is a wreck, 20 cars are stacked in so tightly you cannot avoid the mess.

edit 1 - plus how good is it for the fan base to allow 275 yard maximum drives. I like watching Tiger go for a 600+yard par 5 in two, catch a bunker and take a 6 for the risk.

Butcho22

Feb 16, 2006
This really pisses me off. Didn't David Toms, who is widely known as a short hitter, just finish 2nd to Tiger Woods by a mere stroke? Sure, some of the old courses won't be hosting tournaments again, but that in no way qualifies as reason enough to have a uniform ball. All these short hitters on tour are always whining about the ball and the length of courses, yet they continually do well. Dimarco at Augusta anyone??? With rules in place that regulate equipment, the distance boom is over. We are at the peak right now. Nobody's going to come out on tour in 10 years that flies the ball 400 yards off the tee. It just won't happen.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Butcho22 said:
This really pisses me off. Didn't David Toms, who is widely known as a short hitter, just finish 2nd to Tiger Woods by a mere stroke? Sure, some of the old courses won't be hosting tournaments again, but that in no way qualifies as reason enough to have a uniform ball. All these short hitters on tour are always whining about the ball and the length of courses, yet they continually do well. Dimarco at Augusta anyone??? With rules in place that regulate equipment, the distance boom is over. We are at the peak right now. Nobody's going to come out on tour in 10 years that flies the ball 400 yards off the tee. It just won't happen.

That's what they said 10 years ago. Shaft and ball technology have done more than Ti has and will continue to do so, unless regulated imo.

If golf was all about distance the focus would switch to the Long Driving Championships. Throw the wedges and putters away.

I think the point in this discussion is not making the lesser hitters more competitiive. It is trying to rope the entire field back and bring the course back into play. Woods will still bomb it past Toms, he just wont be hitting it 360. 500 yard par 5s will become 3 shotters rather than drives and 9 irons.

I just wish the R&A, USGA, PGA etc all sit down with the major manufacturers and work out a deal on this. It shouldn't be that hard to do. Let Ohio and a few other events show the world how sensible this whole thing is.

People don't like change. Remember the 1.62" ball? Europe had to bite the bullet and switch to 1.68". It caused an uproar. 2 years later no-one remembered.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Ooh, I hope they make the core out of those styrofoam peanuts and don't tell the players. Let Le Tigre tee one up, take a mighty thwack, and watch it flutter down 85 yards away.

I'd pay money to see that. :)

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Rockford35 said:
No, just respect.:D

Join the Premium Membership, you'll win prizes that way. :)

R35

yeah, this month's prize is a $50 Golfsmith giftcard. :p

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
http://www.pgatour.com/stats/leaders/r/2006/101

The numbers speak for themselves. See where the driving distance leaders rank in every other category. Go ahead and make a uniform ball. This sport will become about as popular as badminton. Within 2yrs. you will only see majors on network T.V. I just don't see what the big deal is with the distance. The game is about skill, ability and strategy. A 300 and whatever yard drive is ability, knowing when to use it is strategy and laying up with a 3wood and making birdie with a 6iron approach is skill. I can outdrive my dad by 30+ yards, I have never beat him, his strategy (or strategery for the Texans) and skill put my ability to shame.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Anyhting that returns shot making to the fore has to be welcomed.The big hitters now have an advantge,simply becaus ethey are taller and stronger,or just ahve an ability to crash a ball along way.The shot makers need to be brought back into the game somehow,and I don't envy the task of those trying to decide how.

🔥 Latest posts