• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tournament Format Question

ClemsonQB

Jun 23, 2009
Some buddies and I are going to play a tournament at a local golf course soon. These buddies are not my normal golfing buddies...they are the kind that have yard sale clubs, and are ecstatic if they see a bogey in a real round of golf. The place is a par 3 course with greens more like fairways...so it's more of a have some beers and laugh at each other playing golf.

We are trying to figure out the best format to play with 4 teams of 3.

I think playing best ball would be unfair, there are 2 players that are miles ahead of the others in terms of ability....and I think those 2 teams would be clearly the best. Alternate shot wouldn't let us hit the ball enough.

I thought of the idea where we all tee off....I play person #2's next shot....they play person #3's next shot....#3 plays my next shot....and we keep alternating balls....but that would be really hard to keep score.

Creative suggestions welcome!! Then again we could just do best combined score.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Four teams of three... hmmm...

In each three man team, the player with the best score must play from the blue tees on the next hole. The player with the worst score plays from the red. The player with a middle score (if there is one) plays from the white.

If there are only two score, (4, 4, 3) then low plays from the blue, and both others play from the white. Reds are only played when there are three different scores. (5, 4, 3).

If everyone makes the same score, everyone tees from the white.

From there, do aggregate score. That makes every shot count.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
Four teams of three... hmmm...

In each three man team, the player with the best score must play from the blue tees on the next hole. The player with the worst score plays from the red. The player with a middle score (if there is one) plays from the white.

If there are only two score, (4, 4, 3) then low plays from the blue, and both others play from the white. Reds are only played when there are three different scores. (5, 4, 3).

If everyone makes the same score, everyone tees from the white.

From there, do aggregate score. That makes every shot count.

This sounds like an interesting format. Seems like it would help level the playing field a little.

OP
C

ClemsonQB

Jun 23, 2009
That sounds like a perfect format...only problem is there are only 2 sets of tees...and only about 20 yard average in between...I'm telling you, this place is like playing in a backyard.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I am really not a huge believer in diff. tee boxes making a big diff. unless you're talking reds to blacks. From whites to blues though you're talking a club or two diff. on your approach. With the margin of error in the average hackers short game/putting or anything else for that matter there really is no diff. They could make a snowman just the same with an 8i or a 5i.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
I am really not a huge believer in diff. tee boxes making a big diff. unless you're talking reds to blacks. From whites to blues though you're talking a club or two diff. on your approach. With the margin of error in the average hackers short game/putting or anything else for that matter there really is no diff. They could make a snowman just the same with an 8i or a 5i.

Gonna call BS on that one. For most of us hackers (Bogey golfer, about 20 HC) the big diff is the 35 yards between an 8 (125) and a 5(160). With an 8i to GIR, I'm about 60% par. A 5i the probability drops to somewhere around 20%. Same situation to a Bogey or better is about 90% and 50%.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Gonna call BS on that one. For most of us hackers (Bogey golfer, about 20 HC) the big diff is the 35 yards between an 8 (125) and a 5(160). With an 8i to GIR, I'm about 60% par. A 5i the probability drops to somewhere around 20%. Same situation to a Bogey or better is about 90% and 50%.

and yesterday I made my only bird of the round with my 5i from 185 out. I was pin high just barely in the fringe on the short side and made the putt for bird. My point is that for a lot of people (myself included) that could've been an 8i from 150 out... on the green, but 45ft away and they proceed to 3 putt for bogey. My percentage from 8-9 irons are a tad better than 4-5 irons, but it's not that big of a diff.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I hate you....May a swarm of sand fleas nest in your armpit.;)

...and from 45' I can easily putt 4 times...:eek:

I'm a young man with strong lofts.

I 4 putted for a 7 from well inside of 45' in that same round. I guess that's part of my point. Short game will kill you so much faster than where you are relative to the hole after an approach w/ a 5i vs 8i. Whether you're just off the green or in the greenside bunker or have a 45' uphill putt with a little bend in it, how many hackers are that much better at one of those options than the others? I use that scenario because I don't believe many 20 handi's are "flag hunting" with their 8i and then hoping to hit the green with their 5i. They're just hoping to hit the green with either.

scgamecock

Feb 5, 2009
You could do like the best score plus the average of the other two. Or worst score minus the average of the other two, or something to that affect. Or everyone could play from the best tee shot since its a par 3 course.

kingz1032

May 21, 2010
Have you decided where you're going to play yet? Have you been to Augusta? I know it's super expensive, but I had Masters tickets for this past tournament and it really inspired me to play there. So we had a huge group go ahead and do it, so I can give you a little bit of feedback on format as well!

We split up the 12 of us, including myself, into outings of 4. We did teams of 2, so there were a total of 6 teams. These teams went against each other, and at the back 9 we switched, and played again the next day and switched again. By the end, the best score for a team of 2 got their hotel paid for. We spent a lot of money that week, but I don't regret it!

🔥 Latest posts