• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tracking your scores / handicap - Software / iPhone App

BobbyGolfer

Mar 12, 2009
Does anybody out there use tools to track their game, or use an electronic scoring device. I am not talking only about iPhone apps as their are other software out there.

I am curious and have been looking into it, I would pay a few bucks to have something to do everything for me. I get tired of messing around in excel figuring stuff out. I like to know my records for courses, and average scoring per hole, etc. Plus alot of these tools do your handicap as well.

I guess I am just skeptical on spending a few bucks and getting burnt. Anyone tried any tools like this, wether it be software on the computer, or something on a mobile phone?

For those that are into the iPhone, I really dont want something that does the GPS and all that jazz, just something that handles electronic scoring and some round analysis. I use a sky caddy when practicing so I dont need any of those features.

From what I have found, this seems to be a perfect example and has the most options for the money : (This is an itunes link, you must have itunes installed for it to work)

Anybody tried this one - for those with the phone handy and no iTunes on the computer : Golf Score and Handicap Tracker $6.99

Feedback on the iPhone app, or software in general will be appreciated.

Happy golfing :)

OP
B

BobbyGolfer

Mar 12, 2009
Bad Bobby!

No spam, it's in the rules.

Hmmm...

I figured this would happen, I thought about not posting the link. This is legitimate questions. I can remove the link if it will be considered not spamming then. I just wanted some opinions, and that app I found is the one I am considering....

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
you figured correctly.

Teedroid it the recommended APP around these parts.

OP
B

BobbyGolfer

Mar 12, 2009
you figured correctly.

Teedroid it the recommended APP around these parts.

What makes it better than the rest? Feedback on this app? Have you tried others such as the one I listed?

EDIT****

I looked up teedroid, its more of a GPS one, and the reviews arent that good. I figured you could get more quality from a company, or none free app...

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
What makes it better?
They gave it to me for free.... :D

I have not tried any others. I don't have the time, frankly.

If you search it here, you'll find the review.

OP
B

BobbyGolfer

Mar 12, 2009
What makes it better?
They gave it to me for free.... :D

I have not tried any others. I don't have the time, frankly.

If you search it here, you'll find the review.

Free is good, thanks for the info, Ill check out that app

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
i'm good in excel, and made my own for my home club.

it does okay, but if I could find something better for free, i'd probably use it.

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
So I did this myself using excel. I made a template that you enter in all the relevant data, par for the holes your score GIR, FIR, putts, course name, date, slope rating, course rating, etc. Then it ran all the calculations for you computed a handicap, tracked GIRs and FIRs, in graphs. You could even sort by course, and pull up old rounds and see how you had played each hole in the past. Truly a marvelous piece of work which took me about 100 hrs to complete. Then hurricane OMAR hit me in October and destroyed the computer it was on along with pretty much everything else that was unfortunate enough to be in my apartment. I am going to work on making this again in the future, but really I think it is better to put the time in and make it yourself so that the features are built the way you want them to be, and it tracks the information you want it to. Just my $0.02

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I use TeeDroid on my BlackBerry and I'm quite happy with it. It tracks my score, GIR's, FW's hit, all that good stuff and is only $19.95 a year. If your courses aren't on there just send them an email and they will add them.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Most stats software I've seen doesn't keep one of the most important (IMO) stats -- length of 1st putt.

Without that stat GIR and putts per round don't mean squat.

I never really thought about that until last year when I started using Scorecard. Now when I go back and look at a round from last year I can tell exactly how I was playing that day. Without length of 1st putt you can't really assess whether it was a "Good" GIR or 2 putt (or 1 putt) green. Heck there are even some holes where a 3 putt is not all that terrible and knowing the hole/green layout and length of 1st putt will tell you if part of your game is consistently costing you strokes or not.

Anyway, it's a real easy stat to keep and you don't even have to be exact, just close. The pros look at this stat in conjunction with the normal stats as it gives a frame of reference to the GIR/putts stat that you otherwise can't tell.

Here's a printout of the 2nd to last round I played:

http://webtoo.net/golf/Rounds/rounds/20090225-p22.html

The length of 1st putts combined with the other stats is very enlightening.

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
Alright so I decided to try and make another stats tracker. It is pretty straight forward but I didn't take the time to write the macros to automate one step. So once you enter in the data on the first sheet you will have to go to the stats tracker sheet, copy the first line of values and paste them below. Other than that it is self sustaining. It will update your handicap realtime as you enter scores (technically your handicap should only be calculated every 2 weeks but again I am being lazy). It will also build graphs so that you can watch your stats over time, as long as you paste each round in the order of the date of play it will show you real time trends in your game. If there are other statistics that you would like to have calculated, let me know and I can work them into a revision.

Note: This will not serve as a USGA regulation handicap. I have not set up the formulas to adjust for rounds played in tournaments, or for 9 hole rounds. If I feel like it you may see those in a later revision.

So here it is a 100% free stats tracker and handicap calculator. Enjoy

Attachments

• Handicap XLS.zip
    11.1 KB · Views: 229

Cardog

Jan 19, 2006
This is not an iphone app but I use the stat doctor. Go to www.golfstatdoctor.com I Promise you this will have more stats to keep track of then you will use. It is really actually overkill on how much information this will keep track of. I am mean you will spend more time writing every shot down then you would playing the damn game if you used everything this has to offer. So just pick and choose whats important to you and track it. Point is if there is something you want to keep track of, this will do it. I could on and on about what this can do but that would take 20 pages to write, just check out their website. It's only $29 and you have it permanently. It even has a trial version.

OP
B

BobbyGolfer

Mar 12, 2009
Well I bit the bullet and bought the app from the app store. I contacted the developer prior to buying, and with the additions he is planing for the future, I was sold!

Golf Score and Handicap Tracker by JoesApps
Heres the iTunes link:
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=306923198&mt=8

I highly recommned it.

Also I got registered on DigitalDivots.com for some more analysis.

Thanks for all the help

🔥 Latest posts