• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Trade those OEM's in!!!!

3Bogey

Jan 20, 2006
I just got done building a SnakeEyes compTi 460 with a Graffaloy Prototype comp NT R shaft and all I can say is by-by OEM's!!! SnakeEyes and Golfsmith where have you been!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have tried the Cleveland Launcher, TMR7, Titleist 905, Ping G2 and I almost have to laugh at how overated these clubs are. They don't even come close to the feel and performance of the Ti-460. Amazing!!!!! Thanks to you guys out there that finally pointed me in the right direction!!! Just sold my Adam idea a1's on Ebay along with my Ping si3+. Now am getting ready to build a set of Snakeyes 600 XC forged irons!!! Look out Divots!!!!

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I built the XC's last year, did you see the pics?

My buddy has a quick strike hybrid......sweet, easy to hit and affordable....maybe cost $45. I was hitting the 3 225 without batting an eye.

I'll stick with my Launcher though. ;)

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I have been a Golfsmith fan for many years. SE Driver, SE Hybrids, SE wedges, and Golfsmith 3-Wood all in the bag. Had Golfsmith irons in until last week when I got some vintage Wilson blades. It ended up be cheaper to buy my FG-17's and reshaft them than to buy new forged club heads.

Top quality stuff at reasonable prices.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
What does OEM stand for? Sorry if it is a stupid question.:)

Petes

Feb 27, 2006
Golfsmith is definately a good idea...if I didn't get an awsome deal on my MP-14's I was going to build a set of Viper Tour's. The biggest difference with prices that i've noticed is the shafts. It's DIRT CHEAP to do it yourself!

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
LOL - I think I'll stick with my strategy of using 3 year old techology used from ebay for the price of a good night's drunk.... call me sentimental.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
VtDivot said:
LOL - I think I'll stick with my strategy of using 3 year old techology used from ebay for the price of a good night's drunk.... call me sentimental.

I'm applying for a scholarship to this school of thought as well.

Nothing against Golfsmith or components, I just appreciate OEM's more.

R35

OP
3Bogey

3Bogey

Jan 20, 2006
That's alright guys keep your OEM's. I'm not saying that OEM's aren't anygood they are just overated and overpriced. I used to be like Divots, picked up last years technology off of ebay after extensive research and reviews to find the best bang for my buck. I'd dare say no one is a research hound on golf clubs like myself, (the only thing to do when you can only play golf 6 months out of the year). I Got my last 3 sets of irons and Driver off of ebay. I had the Ping i3+, one of the best rated irons in the 2003 season, Adams idea A1 the best rated valued clubs for the 2004 season and the MacTec Driver the best deal you could find on one of last years top rated drivers. I picked one up new at $99 bucks. Last year Dicks was selling them at $399.00!! Anyway, I have built some clone clubs in the past and they sucked and thought all component clubs were the same!! After talking to a few guys on this website and reviewing Golfsmith components I thought I'd build a club or two, after all making your own club from scratch is fun and your able to custom fit to your likings. What I have found is that Golfsmith is not a clone company but a damn good designer of golf clubs. I have built a driver and 9 iron 600XC and nothing even compares tho the feel and performance of these clubs and I have tried all the top OEM's. It just amazes me how much better quality you can get by building a club with quality components at a fraction of the cost!!

longiron

May 2, 2005
I'M not saying the golf smith doesn't sell good stuff, but they don't spend half the money on R&D as OEM's. There is a reason all the top selling OEM have been around for as long as they have. They have a quality product that works. I have hit just about every iron made and still love my Titleist irons.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
longiron said:
I'M not saying the golf smith doesn't sell good stuff, but they don't spend half the money on R&D as OEM's. There is a reason all the top selling OEM have been around for as long as they have. They have a quality product that works. I have hit just about every iron made and still love my Titleist irons.

Care to guess how long Golfsmith has been around? A lot longer than some of the "top" OEM's. Their spending on R&D would probably surprise you as well, the biggest difference in spending between Golfsmith and OEM's is marketing and Pro golfer sponsorships. :)

longiron

May 2, 2005
ualtim said:
Care to guess how long Golfsmith has been around? A lot longer than some of the "top" OEM's. Their spending on R&D would probably surprise you as well, the biggest difference in spending between Golfsmith and OEM's is marketing and Pro golfer sponsorships. :)
Your telling me that they have been around longer then say MacGregor. I don't think so. i didn't say they don't have good stuff but it cant compete with any of the top OEM's. If they could someone on tour would be playing "snake eyes". Name one that does no matter what they pay and ill give in.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
longiron said:
Your telling me that they have been around longer then say MacGregor. I don't think so. i didn't say they don't have good stuff but it cant compete with any of the top OEM's. If they could someone on tour would be playing "snake eyes". Name one that does no matter what they pay and ill give in.

Golfsmith has been around longer than Callaway, Taylor Made and 2 years before Titleist started building clubs, which if I recall correctly are selling a lot more clubs than McGreggor and Wilson as well as being in more tour pro's bags. So I guess using your logic, Calalway, Titleist and Taylor Made clubs aren't quality either?

longiron

May 2, 2005
ualtim said:
Golfsmith has been around longer than Callaway, Taylor Made and 2 years before Titleist started building clubs, which if I recall correctly are selling a lot more clubs than McGreggor and Wilson as well as being in more tour pro's bags. So I guess using your logic, Calalway, Titleist and Taylor Made clubs aren't quality either?
No my logic is if its that good someone would use it no matter if they are getting payed or not. I never once said they didnt have good equipment.

🔥 Latest posts