• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Trade those OEM's in!!!!

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Scott Verplank, Bruce Lietzke, and Payne Stewert all played Golfsmith or Golfsmith owned brands on tour at one time or another.

I have a much longer response, but can not post more than a few lines at a time for some reason. Full post to follow when I can get it in here.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
longiron said:
No my logic is if its that good someone would use it no matter if they are getting payed or not. I never once said they didnt have good equipment.

longiron said:
There is a reason all the top selling OEM have been around for as long as they have. They have a quality product that works.

Unless I am reading this incorrectly, you implied that equipment companies that have been around for a long time must have quality products that work. I was just pointing out that Golfsmith has been around longer than the Top 3 OEM's have been making clubs so I am inferring that they make quality products that work, too.

longiron

May 2, 2005
ualtim said:
Unless I am reading this incorrectly, you implied that equipment companies that have been around for a long time must have quality products that work. I was just pointing out that Golfsmith has been around longer than the Top 3 OEM's have been making clubs so I am inferring that they make quality products that work, too.
Ok for the last time i didn't say they don't have a good product. What i am saying is that because you or anyone else likes them is not a reason to sell my titleist and get snake eyes. i have hit golf smith irons and didn't like them. I didn't like pings, i didn't like callaway's, and i didn't like taylermade. does that mean you shouldn't use them? No it means you should use what you like and let the next man use what he likes. But to say don't use OEM because golfsmith is cheaper and i hit them good.

longiron

May 2, 2005
ualtim said:
Scott Verplank, Bruce Lietzke, and Payne Stewert all played Golfsmith or Golfsmith owned brands on tour at one time or another.

I have a much longer response, but can not post more than a few lines at a time for some reason. Full post to follow when I can get it in here.
A few "did" use them but why did they stop. If you have a club in your hand that helps you win wouldn't you use it no matter.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
longiron said:
Ok for the last time i didn't say they don't have a good product. What i am saying is that because you or anyone else likes them is not a reason to sell my titleist and get snake eyes. i have hit golf smith irons and didn't like them. I didn't like pings, i didn't like callaway's, and i didn't like taylermade. does that mean you shouldn't use them? No it means you should use what you like and let the next man use what he likes. But to say don't use OEM because golfsmith is cheaper and i hit them good.

Agreed. You should hit what works for you regardless of price or style. While the post was based on trading in your OEM's, I would NEVER recommend trading in something that works, I was just agreeing that Golfsmith makes quality components if you are looking for new equipment. For some reason, I tend to get a bit defensive of Golfsmith as I believe in their concept and the goal of Carl and Frank Paul when they started the company back in 1967. Top quality components for the custom club builder.

Play with what works.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
longiron said:
A few "did" use them but why did they stop. If you have a club in your hand that helps you win wouldn't you use it no matter.

Why did Phil Mickelson stop using a Scotty Cameron putter only to start playing with a similar putter branded as a Callaway prototype? Its in the contract. Very few tour players have a contract that allows them to go outside their contracted brands or associated brands. Chance are, if they do play with another club, they are losing money from the sponsership as they are contracted to play with X amount of said companies clubs in the bag. Tiger can get a contract that allows him to play anything he wants, but he is Tiger.

There were more Golfsmith clubs on tour when Golfsmith had a tour van following the tour from stop to stop customizing and giving out free equipment. When the van stopped following the tour, people stopped using the clubs. If your not a big name pro with a huge contract, are you going to go out and buy your equipment or utilize the free clubs and services of one of the many tour vans following the tour? I am quite sure I could be convinced to play almost any brand out there if they gave me free equipment and followed me around everytime I played to tweek the equipment or give me some more free stuff. If you have a big contract with said company, they will make you just about anything you want. Why would you play anything else?

MAHALLEDAY

Mikey Dangerous
Nov 29, 2004
Living where I do, I don't have ready access to Golfsmith other than online of course. I have been eyeing up a set of Snake Eyes Blades for a while now and I think I'll make the drive to Minnesoda to their store there and try them out. Just one question. Do they sell snake eyes stuff and/or do fittings in store? I'm on their site now and can't find Snake eyes stuff for sale other than the components of course.

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
Longiron

"Turn and BITE the hand that bleeds you dry" ??
I take it you just did your taxes?

trob

Apr 2, 2006
I watched some show about 5 years ago where they went inside the ping factory. They interviewed the president of the company who swore that they pay no one to play with pings. Any pro that is playing with them is doing so because they wanted to. Is that still true?

ndlarry

Apr 2, 2006
ualtim said:
I have been a Golfsmith fan for many years. SE Driver, SE Hybrids, SE wedges, and Golfsmith 3-Wood all in the bag. Had Golfsmith irons in until last week when I got some vintage Wilson blades. It ended up be cheaper to buy my FG-17's and reshaft them than to buy new forged club heads.

Top quality stuff at reasonable prices.
I've never hit SE irons, but the Quick Strike Hybrids have saved my game. I can't hit long irons at all.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
MAHALLEDAY said:
Living where I do, I don't have ready access to Golfsmith other than online of course. I have been eyeing up a set of Snake Eyes Blades for a while now and I think I'll make the drive to Minnesoda to their store there and try them out. Just one question. Do they sell snake eyes stuff and/or do fittings in store? I'm on their site now and can't find Snake eyes stuff for sale other than the components of course.

Mahalleday,

IN the Minnetonka store they have all the components right there for you to buy and put together yourself. They have a few "demo" clubs of each type I believe.

If it's a long drive, wait another month or so. And call ahead. They are doing a million-dollar renovation and putting in the stalls and computers for the Hot Stix fittings. From what I've read on their site, it's only going to be $50 for a true Hot Stix fitting, with a ball fitting thrown in for free at the present time. In the future, I guess it'll be $20 more.

Either call them to find out if they are done with the construction, or I'll PM you when they have everything set up. I roll in there about once every 2 weeks or so. It's nice having a Toys-R-Us right next door. That way I get to take my kids to the golf store, and if they behave, we get to go to T-R-U. They always behave. :)

I am really looking forward to a fitting. I'm quite interested what shaft and clubhead Hot Stix would pick for me for optimum launch and spin.

MAHALLEDAY

Mikey Dangerous
Nov 29, 2004
Hey Aug thats awsome it's about 6-8 hours to Minniapolis which isn't too shabby. As a plus I already convinced the girl to raod trip down there with me just so I can try some stuff out. Though ut looks like till it won't be till next summer, unless I manage to seel the TA-5's for some decent cash this summer :D. You'll have to let me know when they get that reno done and how the hot fix thing works out. I'm getting pretty pumped about getting them I just priced out a combo set of 600c's and 600b's 5 though wedge (gonna get me some hybrids for the long irons) and it worked out to like 400 Canadian - pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

I can't wait to get me those...

fredcouplesfan

bring da lulz
Jun 4, 2005
Payne stewarts last set of irons was a set made by tom wishon, there are some really good component clubs out there, I own a set of snake eye 600c/m combos and I am currently having a set of custom wishon 550c/m's made for me, I cannot wait, I think the 550's are some of the best irons I have ever hit. The Bridgstones will likely either go to my cousin or ebay very soon.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
fredcouplesfan said:
Payne stewarts last set of irons was a set made by tom wishon, there are some really good component clubs out there, I own a set of snake eye 600c/m combos and I am currently having a set of custom wishon 550c/m's made for me, I cannot wait, I think the 550's are some of the best irons I have ever hit. The Bridgstones will likely either go to my cousin or ebay very soon.

which bridgestones? The J33 CB?

🔥 Latest posts