• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Training aids "Good or Evil"

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Are training aids a way to reduce that bulge in your wallet or do they work? I believe some are way overpriced.

Made an Inside Approach myself but I did miss out on the video tape. Tried the Leadbetter Lazerguide after it was $25 on ebay and seems to help groove the swing during those winter inside sessions. Don't think I will try the Leadbetter Swingsetter until he puts a Satellite Dish on it. Reminds me of the putter Dangerfield uses in CaddyShack. But I might be bit harsh there:)

The one I come back to is the Rick Smith Dynamic Swing Glove. It keeps me from cupping my wrist at top. Not a real problem for me but when I am working on swing plane, delaying wrist cock release. and club head release, etc on the range it is more thing I don't have to think about. I can handle about 2 swing thoughts in "real time" or I get analysis paralysis.

Anyone else have opinions on swing aids???

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
IMO the only ones that really have any real merit are the inside approach, momentus and the swingsetter (which most decent/good players only use to groove a solid tempo).

Most of them are money grabs, but they all "work". By this i mean they address the one specific thing they are designed for, but dont even touch anything else, and may even work against some other parts of the swing.

PhillyEagle

Feb 3, 2007
I own a few training aids, and find that they really do help IF they are used correctly. Right now I'm using the Swingsetter and Swingyde, both of which do exactly what they're designed to do. I only use training aids that my instructor recommends that I use, and I make sure he knows how I use them. The Swingyde has helped my lack of wrist crock in my take-away, and has always helped tremediously with increasing my lag on the downswing.

Aside from not using the aids correctly, a lot of people try aids that really aren't meant to fix their particular swing flaw. Their biggest swing flaw is most likely different from the purpose of the training aid they bought thinking it'll solve their problems.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
PhillyEagle, what exactly is a swingyde? Ive never heard of it. Got any pics of it and how its used?

PhillyEagle

Feb 3, 2007
It's frustrating working at golfsmith seeing 90% of the people in there use a training aid the completely wrong way, so to answer the original question, I'd say "Evil for most".

Other than the Swingyde and Swingsetter, the only other aid I've really had success with was the Power Swing Fan (just to increase club head speed).

The Swingyde is just an overpriced piece of plastic that you attach to a club. If you set it correctly then your left forearm (assuming your right handed) will come in contact with the swingyde. This makes sure you have a 90* angle at the top of your swing, and if you attempt to keep the swingyde touching your forearm, it'll increase your lag.

The wonderful piece of plastic...
swingyde1.jpg

benk

Ben
Dec 4, 2006
asdf

Training aid wise, my favorite is a mirror :). I guess I don't really have a whole lot in that area, but I do know that the swingsetter is a piece of junk unless your want to swing the leadbetter way.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Training aid wise, my favorite is a mirror :). I guess I don't really have a whole lot in that area, but I do know that the swingsetter is a piece of junk unless your want to swing the leadbetter way.

Your right benk, the ledbetter way is just terrible, he's only one of the top teachers in the world;) Ive been meaning to ask you, how come you always type some jibberish thingy in the title of your posts? you know you dont need to put a title in there right?

IMO for a better player the swingsetter is fine because it does teach very good tempo to release the magnet thingys properly.

Jules150

Aug 29, 2006
i just got a momentus, its great. But its not the momentus thats great its just that its a weighted club. Everyone should swing one, they're the best aids out there. Increases clubhead speed and it forces you to swing on an in to out path.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I use a speed stik to warm up every time I hit balls or play, other than that its useless.

benk

Ben
Dec 4, 2006
LOL, I had no clue Sandpiper. But on the leadbetter side, I guess I won't get started. My problem with the swing setter is just getting it to cock on the backswing, but I guess if you can do that, it does help your tempo.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
i just got a momentus, its great. But its not the momentus thats great its just that its a weighted club. Everyone should swing one, they're the best aids out there. Increases clubhead speed and it forces you to swing on an in to out path.

Word.

Weighted club is the way to go.

One of the sneakiest aspects of the Momentus is the grip. If I start to question my grip I just grab the Momentus for a few swings and it straightens it right out.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
LOL, I had no clue Sandpiper. But on the leadbetter side, I guess I won't get started. My problem with the swing setter is just getting it to cock on the backswing, but I guess if you can do that, it does help your tempo.

Yea, sorry, i should have specified that. That's why i said "most better players", because most players will have the cock and release in their swing. IF you do swing like that it is great for tempo, but if you already have a solid swing and dont have that dont even bother with it.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I got a kick out of watching ??? "The Beast" ???, long drive champion push the "power hitter driver". I'm sure it's a decent swing aid but have you seen this guy's swing. He swings like Mark McQuire. He's got a "hitch" in his left leg before he swings. Not a bad swing (couldn't be if he hits straight drives 400 yards) but breaks the "mold" in regard to textbook swings. :D

🔥 Latest posts