• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Trajectory/Shaft Stiffness

cj_rich

Apr 27, 2009
Over the past two seasons since I've added the TM Burner 420 to my bag, I've made some significant gains to length off the tee. (from 230 - 250 to 270 to 290 yards, although I have hit quite a few over 300) My tee height has evolved to the point that I'm now using a 4" tee.

I do not, nor have I ever hit the ball high with a driver. I normally hit line drives about 20 to 25 ft off the ground. I keep the ball as far forward as I can in my stance, any more and I'd be hitting hooks galore. Would I be correct in assuming that a higher trajectory would result in greater distance? And if so, does the stiffness of the shaft affect trajectory, either directly or indirectly?

I'm just wondering if my drivers shaft might need to be stiffer.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Don't worry about getting any more distance. You are as long as the Tour average as far as I know.

And I would say that too stiff a shaft leads to line drives. So, you probably need more loft.

Lefty11

Jul 12, 2005
Over the past two seasons since I've added the TM Burner 420 to my bag, I've made some significant gains to length off the tee. (from 230 - 250 to 270 to 290 yards, although I have hit quite a few over 300) My tee height has evolved to the point that I'm now using a 4" tee.

I do not, nor have I ever hit the ball high with a driver. I normally hit line drives about 20 to 25 ft off the ground. I keep the ball as far forward as I can in my stance, any more and I'd be hitting hooks galore. Would I be correct in assuming that a higher trajectory would result in greater distance? And if so, does the stiffness of the shaft affect trajectory, either directly or indirectly?

I'm just wondering if my drivers shaft might need to be stiffer.

I find it interesting that you can smack it down the fairway 270 - 300 yards while it's only 25 feet off the ground. You must have some amazing roll...

OP
C

cj_rich

Apr 27, 2009
I do indeed get a lot of roll in dry conditions. I think hitting it a bit higher would improve my consistency, not having to rely on roll so much to get to my max distance.

I'm guessing at the height, it could be a little more. Length isn't GPS verified. I'm comparing height to others that I've played with. In dry conditions, I'm generally as long or longer, with a much lower trajectory.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
Getting those distances with a ball flight no higher than 25 feet off the ground is all but impossible.

Assuming the fairways are not made of linoleum, to achieve those distances would require the following:

Swing Speed: 142 mph (or about 22mph faster that PGA averages).
Club loft: 2.5* (or about 8* lower than PGA averages no driver exists at that loft).
Back spin of 990 RPMS (or about 1300 lower than PGA averages)

With those numbers, you technically CAN get about 260 yards, with maximum ball flight of 24-1/2'.

🔥 Latest posts