• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tried out a Tour Burner at Dicks--$129 sale!

Randicap

Mediocre is better
Aug 31, 2006
I walked in with the intention of trying a Burner 2009, and they had Tour Burners on sale for $129! I thought that was a great deal, so I tried it out along with the Burner. But I didn't buy it. I learned some things on their wicked cool launch monitor though.

First thing I learned was my swing speed wasn't what I thought. Well, at first anyway. I started out swinging the tour burner and the first few drives I was only hitting 92-94MPH. I was surprised--I knew they weren't great swings but they felt mostly normal--but only 92??. A couple times I actually tried to swing hard and it was worse--like 88 one time. So I hit probably 40 balls between the two clubs and as I loosened up the speed started going up. By the time I was done I was regularly hitting 98-102 with much better looking shots. It took probably 20 balls before I was loosened up enough that the swing speed was in the triple digits. After I warmed up my SS average was probably 101 or so. I hit 105 a couple times--not really trying, just had the timing right. I didn't realize before this how important warming up was, or how much difference a good swing vs a bad swing was in terms of club speed.

The other thing I learned was that I hit my R5 with an aldilia NV65 as good as a brand new burner 09 driver. I couldn't justify the change without a drastic improvement. It does turn out that the torque of my NV65 is a bit high which causes me to fade a bit--so I lose a touch of distance with it because of that, but not enough to buy a new club.

I couldn't swing the Burner 09 well at all. I think it was the longer shaft--it felt flexible and hard to control to me. I wasn't impressed. Maybe on the course it would be better--hard to tell only hitting 20 balls or so.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
The other thing I learned was that I hit my R5 with an aldilia NV65 as good as a brand new burner 09 driver. I couldn't justify the change without a drastic improvement.
Funny you mention that. Just by chance I reshafted an old R5 (it was a shaft swap, and I fully intended to just toss the R5 on eBay) and wouldn't you know, the R5 went in my bag after I took a chance and played a round with it. The shaft did a real "ugly duckling" job on it, and it's now enjoying a "swan song."

OP
R

Randicap

Mediocre is better
Aug 31, 2006
Burners I've swung felt really light to me and I couldn't control the head as well. You try anything else? :)
I thought about swinging the FTi or FT5, but I was out of time, and I just didn't think I could get over the sheer ugliness of them. Plus, they weren't $129 either.

I still can't get over how much my SS changed after I warmed up. When I first saw 94 on the meter I figured it wasn't accurate. Then I found myself swinging out of my shoes trying to get it higher, but still 92-94. After 10-15 balls I stopped looking at it and wouldn't you know it, it climbed to 98-102 depending on the quality of the swing.

I won't tee off cold based on that experience anymore, that's for sure.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I have the same basic issue with Taylormade stock shafts(non TP) i just lose the clubhead in the transition and it feels very odd to me....i dont hit stock TM stuff very well at all.

Last burner i hit ballooned like crazy....

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I have the same basic issue with Taylormade stock shafts(non TP) i just lose the clubhead in the transition and it feels very odd to me....i dont hit stock TM stuff very well at all.

Last burner i hit ballooned like crazy....

I think you'd balloon a putter off the tee Clark.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I couldn't believe how high you hit that Renegade 10º of mine in Tn. All I do with it most of the time is scare worms half to death.

Have you ever had your angle of attack and all that checked? I'd love to know what it is.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I have been on a monitor with it, but it was back before i knew what it was or what it meant.

I have no clue what my AOA is...

twelvegage

live life. love life.
Jan 18, 2008
I just saw the TB's for 129 at Golfsmith today, I've been reminding my wife that father's day is just around the corner...hopefully it'll work.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I just saw the TB's for 129 at Golfsmith today, I've been reminding my wife that father's day is just around the corner...hopefully it'll work.

Good luck, leave the ad laying around, convenientely opened to that page.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.