• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Trouble in paradise

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
Took a few lessons recently to get rid of a few kinks. Worked well for a while. Now I can't swing a club. I always had a natural draw but can draw it to save my life. Loosing massive distance my driver. I went to the range and hit my driver about 230 -240 yards with a slice opposed to to my normal 260-275 drive. Can't really afford lessons at the moment since I'm about to be medically retired from the military. Has anyone ever had such a horrible slump and lost their game completely before? If so how did you bounce back and regain confidence?

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
United States United States
Took a few lessons recently to get rid of a few kinks. Worked well for a while. Now I can't swing a club. I always had a natural draw but can draw it to save my life. Loosing massive distance my driver. I went to the range and hit my driver about 230 -240 yards with a slice opposed to to my normal 260-275 drive. Can't really afford lessons at the moment since I'm about to be medically retired from the military. Has anyone ever had such a horrible slump and lost their game completely before? If so how did you bounce back and regain confidence?
I never recovered. All my mistakes are still with me.

And you are not turning so the club is coming weakly from the outside. Do you also hit some fatts and some toppers?

OP
Queball915

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
Even when I try to turn it over and go inside to out it still slices. Hit a lot fat, a lot thin, a lot topped and a lot shanked. I was embarrassed at the range tonight

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
So the path through the ball was not flat. You need to widen your back foot. This will change a few angles, allow more time to swing easier with your body, not your arms. You are describing the effects of a circle swing, with that impossibly small sweet zone through which you are coming down instead of through, from above instead of behind. Move the ball forward a wee bit and suddenly the circle of the head path is going up, topping it. A midge back and you are smackking mud. You never get the club back, though it feels like you do, but what its really doing is going hands above the shoulders without the full turn, so you are blocking the back swing.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Slowing everything down helps me get back on plane.

For me, this works great for honing a particular shot shape:

Hit 1/2 shots with a 5 iron until you're hitting them like you want. (Have patience, it may take a minute.) Keep repeating that shot and lengthing your backswing. If you get off plane, tone it back down. Keep that up until you're happy with your full shots.

OP
Queball915

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
Thanks guys I'm going to go back to square one. I also noticed I do this at the range mostly on hard mats with no bounce. Do you think that could have some effect on how I swing? Even mentally? I seem to be fine on the course with lush fairways also but not if the mishaps at the range are still in my head

J.P.C.

Aug 31, 2010
Cape Town, South Africa
Country
South Africa South Africa
agreed - hate them mats!! two days a week we are allowed to practise off the grass which is much better practise if you ask me - i like to go to a "cheap" course early morning in the week, play by myself and not keep score - that is the best practise for me though. usually the course i go to for practising is empty or maybe 2 other golfers on the course.

practise putting, bunker shots, fairways - the course is open, i practise everything.:)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.